*Braid wearers...the longest you've worn braids (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
*Braid wearers...the longest you\'ve worn braids (???)

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was wondering what was the longest period of time you kept braids in whether they were individuals, tree braids, curly braids, micro braids, or kinky braids/twists...

Also... post whether you suffered damage from keeping them in that long and what period of time would you recommend wearing braids??? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MizAvalon

Re: *Braid wearers...the longest you\'ve worn braids (???)

Once about 6 or 7 years ago, I had micro braids that I kept in for close to 3 months. I did suffer damage but not because they were left in too long but because they were so tiny, I really had to rip my real hair to get them out. I would never get micros again. Also, when I used to wear crochet braids I once kept them in for 9 weeks. Gross, I know. No damage there, just dirty nasty hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

Thanks for sharing MizAvalon!

I ask this question because I'm transitioning for the 3rd time and would like to wear braids so I'm not tempted to relax again. I know my sister's college roommate wears individual braids (braided all the way to the ends of the fake hair) 6 months at a time. I was wondering if I could wear curly braids (where the fake is braided only to the ends of my real hair, the leftover of the fake hair is loose) for 6 months at a time. If it starts looking a hot mess, I will probably wear them 3 months at a time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Healthb4Length

Now I wear it for 1 1/2 to 2 months but back in da days when I didn't know better I used to rock them for like 4 months and I would wonder why I loss so much hair /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SilverSurfer

I would not reocommend wearing any braid style for up to 6 months.

Dare~to~Dream

I have worn braids for 6 months...I actually get better results when wearing braids for a longer period of time as opposed to taking them down every 2 months and then re-braiding. The key is to retouch every so often and of course the other things like taking vitamins, moisturizing, etc.

carletta

usually 2 months. but I will be wearing braids for the next 6 months. I'll leave them in for as long as possible w/o damaging my hair, take them down, wash ,deep condition, treatments, then put them right back up 1-3 days later. doing this I think my hair will be ok. what do you guys think?

Ayeshia

I cant go longer than 8 weeks.by then I have so much new growth that if I dont take them out or if I dont get them rebraided the roots will twist up until they knot, esp along the edges. I think that if I left these twists in longer I would have had to cut some out from the base. I didnt take that chance so I took them out at week 6.

Ayeshia

oh and no I did not suffer any damage...only massive shedding. Which was what I expeced because I didnt comb my hair in almost two months

Nonie

I've worn braids 24/7 for more than a year. I didn't get any damage. That's actually how I transitioned. I used to retouch one braid at a time (as my hair grew)...at least often enough not to allow the weight of the extension to exert too much strain on the same section of my hair, which could lead to breakage. So in a way, I didn't leave any single braid untouched for too long, but I never undid all the braids. Being able to do my own braids was a huge plus.

I did this for two years with only a break long enough to give me time to order new extension hair, and my natural hair grew from one inch (that's how much new growth I had before I decided to transition) to 9-11 inches in that time. And that was with regular trimming (I'd trim each time I redid a braid that had some growth) - that's how I got rid of my relaxed hair - but I continued to trim regularly even after I was 100% natural (which was in one year), because I was following Brenda's regimen. www.blackwomenrejoice.com

Here's my hair after one year of braids (this was with all my relaxed hair gone)- August 2002:

And here it is again after a second year of braids (August 2003):

ETA: I forgot to answer your other questions. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I wore singles (micro-?) braids. I would recommend that anyone considering doing braids with extensions follow the regimen in www.growafrohairlong.com unless you're doing your own braids and so can be careful to touch them up often. Still it's not a bad idea to have a good read through of Robin's website before entering the world of braids. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MeccaMedinah

I just took out some braids that I wore for 6 weeks.(pics in album) I wouldn't recommend anyone wearing them more than 6-8 weeks;I also think that the size of the braids is something to consider along with the amount of time you'll wear them.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

This spring I wore individual braids from April to June. I then took out my braids waited a week to 10 days and got cornrows. I wore cornrows for the rest of the summer (wearing them for a month then getting them re done). I maintained lots of new growth this way.

I would suggest only wearing individual braids for 8 weeks and cornrows for no more than a month. I would also like to stress that braid maintence is VERY important and can make the difference between maintaining length and damage from braids.

BAILEYSCREAM

Yes, this thread is very informative. I wanted to reply to everyone who suggested good info but I can't quote you all but this thread is going in my favourites list /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

SandySea

The longest I have worn a single set of braids was 3 months. I think max length of time you can wear braids depends on the size of the braids and your hair texture. My hair tends to twist at the roots whereas my friend's hair just forms mini-afros at the root of each braid with no twisting. I'm wearing small individuals now and will only keep them in for 8 weeks. Next go round I try 3 months. However, I will closely monitor my hair during that period. If I see signs of possible damage, I will take them out. Also, I agree that your braid regimen makes all the difference.

P.S.--Remember, the longer you wear the braids, the more hair you're going to comb out because of prior shedding. This hair can sometimes be mistaken for breakage and vice versa.