Question?

Iwanthealthyhair67

I'd like to ask a question, that really go me thinking after reading some comments in the do you vote thread...I'm not putting up any disclaimers but I will ask you to take this post in pureness of spirit that it is given...

Do you know God??

I mean do we really know him...

What if He asked you to not to do something that you think that you had a human right or oblagation to do, would you argue with him over it or would you listen to the voice of God...

Please don't get offended but we don't know God as well as we think we do...what if he asked us to do something out of the ordinary or outlandish and seemingly stupid, would you do it?

Last edited:

mystiquak

ALWAYS listen to the voice of God because the human nature can fail...we live for HIM and HIM only not for man. Blessings my sister!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I'd like to ask a question, that really go me thinking after reading some comments in the do you vote thread...I'm not putting up any disclaimers but I will ask you to take this post in pureness of spirit that it is given...

Do you know God??

I mean do we really know him...

What if He asked you to not to do something that you think that you had a human right or oblagation to do, would you argue with him over it or would you listen to the voice of God...

Please don't get offended but we don't know God as well as we think we do...what if he asked us to do something out of the ordinary or outlandish and seemingly stupid, would you do it?

No offense taken at all. Your question is from your heart :love2:

There are many things in my life which I knew I had a right to, and yet God as told me to 'leave it alone', 'do not pursue it', 'the battle is his'. And while it didn't seem 'right' to me, I yielded because it was coming from My Father in Heaven who has never mislead me.

I left a good paying job with excellent benefits, without any evidence of another job to go to, because I knew it was God's leading.

There are several things which I cannot post because it may mislead others who are in a Valley of Decision, and I don't want what I did to influence their decisions.

Bottomline, none of us know God and we won't until we are with Him. Yet, we take steps towards knowing Him here on earth, as we yield to what He is speaking to our hearts to do. :yep:

One thing I do know is that God has not placed us here in this earth to be complacent, to take whatever happens. There is a truth that will always remain, "Faith without works is dead". We pray and take action as God leads. The first thing God said to Adam is 'Take Dominion over the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps over the earth.

Jesus said, before He ascended into Heaven, All power both in Heaven and in earth, has been given unto us, and we are to go preach the gospel, lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.....etc.

The government does not rule us, nor our mission, yet little by little, the Church is giving our 'power' away. God knew this was going to happen... hence the prophesy...

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I think that many here could give a testimony as to how Christ has radically changed the course of their lives. No one has to be a Christian--as the writer of Hebrews said of Moses, we have forsaken the passing pleasures of sin to seek another homeland. However, being on that journey does not mean that everyone has insight on everything. The Lord reveals things to people and convicts them as He wills rather than according to our own expectations of where we or others ought to be in our understanding. Also, as Scripture is not interpreted by oneself, it is so important that we discuss issues such as the voting question to come to a better understanding together of God's will.

Zac Poonen mentioned once how he makes a point of remembering that what the Lord gas given him"light" on is not necessarily what He has given someone else light on, and there are convictions he has which are not shared by most Christians and which he does not impose on his congregants because it is not an issue of God's explicit commands (sinning) and everyone's spiritual understanding is not in the same place. I think it's more edifying to engage the questions than to question knowledge of God. If there is insight that one believer has that others don't, that insight can be shared for the benefit of all.

ETA:

In all honesty, I did take some offense at the question, though I know we were asked not to. That's speaking truthfully. But in thinking about it more, it reminds me of an exchange I had with a Christian friend a year or so ago. I don't remember what we were talking about, but he said something like "Yeah, because sometimes I wonder: 'If it came down to it, should it be God or Country?'"--meaning that if if the two were in conflict, he wasn't sure where his first allegiance should lie. And I just responded viscerally, like "What do you mean 'God' or 'Country'? God!" My tone had a bit of a "What in the world is wrong with you?" element to it, which wasn't very nice; but his question truly and honestly took me aback and worried me, as he would be considered a very solid Christian. And yet that question of first allegiance and lordship is so fundamental to what it means to be called out of this world, that to not be sure of one's ultimate Lord in the event of a conflict could be the difference between confessing and denying Christ--heaven or hell.

I will say that I have been on the receiving end of someone jumping to the conclusion that I did not know God and was not "born again" because of some fault they honed in on. But for those who wake up every day and give their lives over once again to follow Christ, to once again deny the flesh, to once again say "No" to the world--you know whether or not you walk with God, you know what you have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for Him; and it's not always something that can be easily proven to someone asking--it's just something you live and persevere in.

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

Good question iwanthealthyhair

Dont ever feel like you can't ask something. This is a forum and we all pay our $6.50 to reply to and discuss things on here.

But yes God has had me do some crazy stuff that seemed foolish to people. Thats why you got to acknowledge God in all your ways and seek Him to know the will of God concerning you. The bible says to lay aside every weight and sin. So that tell me that it may be some things in my life that I will have to give up, that may not be sinful.

When Eve ate the fruit(it doesnt ever say it was apple ) that was a sinful act. It wasn't the fruit that was a sin, it was the fact that God told her not to eat it and she did it anyway. Just in that I learned, even when things seem innocent, you still have to acknowlegde God, because you never know how God sees it. Thats why when I hear myself say "I believe, I think, I feel, I see it like this..." I back up and check myself. Its not about how I feel anymore...remember? I have given my life to Christ. He now controls it!

God had the Prophets in the old Testament do some crazzzzyyyy stuff. One prophet had to lay on his side naked for 364 days and eat animal dung and then turn over on the other side and do the same thing for 40 days. To people he probably looked insane, but in God sight he was pleasing and obedient. God wanted to make a illustration.

All my friends have a Facebook page. I mean allllll of them do. lol.I use to have one, but God told me to delete it. I didnt say "God why? All my friends have one?" The bible say its no wise to compare ourselves with one other. What may be ok for some, but not be ok with me. Thats why I have to work out my own soul salvation. So I may know what the will of God is pertaining to me..

My comments are not just about voting, I was speaking generally.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Whenever that question is asked, (do you know God?) somehow the immediate response is to take offense, I never meant to imply that you or anyone does not know God and so I'm sorry if my question had that overtone...

Though my question was born out of curiosity, if it made one person question there relationship/knowledge of God then that is a good thing, we all need more of Him and need to know that we really do know Him and more importantly that He knows us....

For me, I would say that God and country is in 'conflict' and I pray that God will raise up men and women after his own heart and place them in government, much of what I see here in my own country is disheartening to say the least, despite all my forefathers have done I am not inclined to vote and frankly I see no party who represents Christ in such away that would compelled me to vote for them so I'm thorn between my right to perfom my civic duty and vote another party in with a good looking and good sounding manifesto that promises change when it's more of the same, so I've put the matter before God....

Zac Poonen (one of my favourites) is right in that we are all at different levels in our walk with Christ and so he's speaks to us based on where we are in him, I'd say that we are blessed to hear and know his voice, we certainly get as much of as we want. :yep:

Thank you for your response...

I think that many here could give a testimony as to how Christ has radically changed the course of their lives. No one has to be a Christian--as the writer of Hebrews said of Moses, we have forsaken the passing pleasures of sin to seek another homeland. However, being on that journey does not mean that everyone has insight on everything. The Lord reveals things to people and convicts them as He wills rather than according to our own expectations of where we or others ought to be in our understanding. Also, as Scripture is not interpreted by oneself, it is so important that we discuss issues such as the voting question to come to a better understanding together of God's will.

Zac Poonen mentioned once how he makes a point of remembering that what the Lord gas given him"light" on is not necessarily what He has given someone else light on, and there are convictions he has which are not shared by most Christians and which he does not impose on his congregants because it is not an issue of God's explicit commands (sinning) and everyone's spiritual understanding is not in the same place. I think it's more edifying to engage the questions than to question knowledge of God. If there is insight that one believer has that others don't, that insight can be shared for the benefit of all.

ETA:

In all honesty, I did take some offense at the question, though I know we were asked not to. That's speaking truthfully. But in thinking about it more, it reminds me of an exchange I had with a Christian friend a year or so ago. I don't remember what we were talking about, but he said something like "Yeah, because sometimes I wonder: 'If it came down to it, should it be God or Country?'"--meaning that if if the two were in conflict, he wasn't sure where his first allegiance should lie. And I just responded viscerally, like "What do you mean 'God' or 'Country'? God!" My tone had a bit of a "What in the world is wrong with you?" element to it, which wasn't very nice; but his question truly and honestly took me aback and worried me, as he would be considered a very solid Christian. And yet that question of first allegiance and lordship is so fundamental to what it means to be called out of this world, that to not be sure of one's ultimate Lord in the event of a conflict could be the difference between confessing and denying Christ--heaven or hell.

I will say that I have been on the receiving end of someone jumping to the conclusion that I did not know God and was not "born again" because of some fault they honed in on. But for those who wake up every day and give their lives over once again to follow Christ, to once again deny the flesh, to once again say "No" to the world--you know whether or not you walk with God, you know what you have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for Him; and it's not always something that can be easily proven to someone asking--it's just something you live and persevere in.

Iwanthealthyhair67

@Alicialynn86

When I read about Ezekiel I am awed by this man was sold out for Christ, talk about submission and obedience...

Fast forward to today I doubt we could take it ...

told to eat human feces, then told not mourn for your boo, preach naked, always be the bearer of bad news.... you had better know God and know the voice of God :yep:...Lord have mercy...

QUOTE=Alicialynn86;15162095]Good question @iwanthealthyhair

Dont ever feel like you can't ask something. This is a forum and we all pay our $6.50 to reply to and discuss things on here.

But yes God has had me do some crazy stuff that seemed foolish to people. Thats why you got to acknowledge God in all your ways and seek Him to know the will of God concerning you. The bible says to lay aside every weight and sin. So that tell me that it may be some things in my life that I will have to give up, that may not be sinful.

When Eve ate the fruit(it doesnt ever say it was apple ) that was a sinful act. It wasn't the fruit that was a sin, it was the fact that God told her not to eat it and she did it anyway. Just in that I learned, even when things seem innocent, you still have to acknowlegde God, because you never know how God sees it. Thats why when I hear myself say "I believe, I think, I feel, I see it like this..." I back up and check myself. Its not about how I feel anymore...remember? I have given my life to Christ. He now controls it!

God had the Prophets in the old Testament do some crazzzzyyyy stuff. One prophet had to lay on his side naked for 364 days and eat animal dung and then turn over on the other side and do the same thing for 40 days. To people he probably looked insane, but in God sight he was pleasing and obedient. God wanted to make a illustration.

All my friends have a Facebook page. I mean allllll of them do. lol.I use to have one, but God told me to delete it. I didnt say "God why? All my friends have one?" The bible say its no wise to compare ourselves with one other. What may be ok for some, but not be ok with me. Thats why I have to work out my own soul salvation. So I may know what the will of God is pertaining to me..

My comments are not just about voting, I was speaking generally.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

LucieLoo12

iwanthealthyhair

I know you right! You got to know his voice and His will for your life..If not you may think that when bad things happen then "it must not be God". I think some Christians have forgotten, that we are supposed to be despised and hated by many. Now they feel if you are presecuted you must be doing something wrong. But the bible says, those who live godly will suffer persecution. We HAVE to suffer, no way around it. He said we wont only have fellowship with Him in His rising, but also in His sufferings. He says if we suffer with Him, we will reign with Him. But alot of preachers these days are preaching this candy coated lollipop walking through the field with daisies in my hair salvation. And its not so. Many will be in for a rude awakening. The bible says in the last days that if it were possible, the very elect (chosen) would be deceived. We have to know God for OURSELVES, we have to have a PERSONAL relationship, we have to know His voice and HIS word..

Im not trying to preach but, this has just been really heavy on my heart.

makeupgirl

@iwanthealthyhair

I know you right! You got to know his voice and His will for your life..If not you may think that when bad things happen then "it must not be God". I think some Christians have forgotten, that we are supposed to be despised and hated by many. Now they feel if you are presecuted you must be doing something wrong. But the bible says, those who live godly will suffer persecution. We HAVE to suffer, no way around it. He said we wont only have fellowship with Him in His rising, but also in His sufferings. He says if we suffer with Him, we will reign with Him. But alot of preachers these days are preaching this candy coated lollipop walking through the field with daisies in my hair salvation. And its not so. Many will be in for a rude awakening. The bible says in the last days that if it were possible, the very elect (chosen) would be deceived. We have to know God for OURSELVES, we have to have a PERSONAL relationship, we have to know His voice and HIS word..

Im not trying to preach but, this has just been really heavy on my heart.

I don't know why and I know I shouldn't be concern but this has always freaked me out a bit. But I do see this is happening and now I know why my mom always say, "you got to stay prayed up" and 1 Thes 5:17 says "pray without ceasing"

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
When I first saw your post, the thought to dig up something I posted 10 months ago appeared in my mind. Here are the items:

Jesus gave new commandments and we are told they will be written in our hearts. To get locked down by practice does not allow for the flexibility His servants need to get His will done in any situation.

Flexibility means not being weight down by man-made practices so His will can be done through you. Missionaries have to adapt to their environment and let the Father guide their steps. Isaiah went naked and barefoot for three years; Hosea was commanded to marry a prostitute; Ezekiel had to eat bread cooked over poop; Jeremiah had to endure abuse and not strike back; Moses lived as an Egyptian; David hung out with criminals and ate the priests’ showbread with them; Elijah killed 400 priests of Ba’al; Saul was ordered to annihilate a ethnic group right down to their livestock, etc. etc. etc.

I know people think of me as some holier-than-thou, know-it-all, so I refused to add another log to that fire. When I saw
@Alicialynn86 post something similar, I smiled because I should have known it was the Lord's prompting and not my own idea. Not the first time that has happened, but humbling all the same. Why humbling? I must never doubt the knowledge and wisdom He gives and that He has me right where He wants me for now.