Questions about ends

daviine

I haven't had my ends trimmed in a while because I figured if they're not split then they're not damaged. I'm not so sure that this is correct thinking anymore.

Before I go on, I want to make sure of something---Can split ends be seen with the naked eye? Or would I need a microscope or magnifying glass to see them ? Because otherwise, I don't think I've ever had a problem with split ends since joining various hair boards.

I have not put any heat in my hair since 1999---I might have had my hair blow dried once and blown out once since but that's it. The only other heat comes from rollersetting when I get a touchup and conditioning treatments.

I have frizzy looking ends AT TIMES --more often than not--and I'm wondering if this is an indicator of damage., I used to think that my ends were so jacked up becasue I don't always cover my hair but that wouldn't cause my ends to be frizzy right?---They would pretty much be dry and break off--That's what I'm thinking anyway-let me know if my thinking is faulty.

My other downfall is my VERY jacked up diet. Again, I'm not sure that would cause frizzy ends either though. But again, If I'm wrong let me know. And how does a weak diet affect the hair?

What I did notice one day after I washed my hair is that in the middle of SOME of my strands my hair is frizzy and has a wave to it where the rest(above and below) is more straight. So, I was trying to figure out if that was perhaps a no-lye relaxer from 2 years ago (not sure if any of that hair is still on my head and where it is) or was it an underprocessing/overprocessing faux-pas? It's also hard to say because it was long for it to be just from ONE touchup unless that was all overlap from one sitting (I'll have to measure next time. ) So I guess when this part of my hair becomes ends---then I guess it will have to be trimmed OR can regularly conditioning your hair make it "behave" or "normal" by the time it becomes ends?

I know this getting long but I also notice that sometimes when I run my fingers down one strand--some pieces seem rough or ridged? Does anyone know what that may mean?

I think these are all of my concerns.....doea anyone have any input?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey Daviine,

I agree that if the ends are not split, you can tell with your naked eye. If ends appear to be thinning, it may be a good idea to get them trimmed moreso for appearance sake and overall hair health. You could try extra-conditioning for your ends whenever you condition.

Also bare in mind that ends often look frizzy when heat is not used to dry the hair (how ironic). The best way,IMO, to tell whether or not you need a trim is to have it professionally done and then check out your ends. For some reason, those pros just get our hair so smooth and silky looking and feeling. And if you trust your stylist, ask her and be clear that you do not want more than (1/4", 1/2"...whatever) trimmed.

Now if you haven't used heat in that long, your hair must be overall very healthy and LONG too. Do you have pictures anywhere?

daviine

Hey Supergirl----I'm not sure about the healthy--I'd like to think it is but we'll see what Marvin says whenever I make it over to him. If it's not healthy then it would most likely be comes I need to nourish my hair from the inside.

Oh yeah---but when I do the elasticity test some strands stretch a little but some actually just break. So in that regards, my hair isn't healthy and I don't know what I'm going to do to rememdy that yet.

As for long, my hair isn't long because I've had to trim my ends a lot in the past. My ends never look right to me so I used to always have them trimmed. I'm trying to accumulate length but it's hard becasue it always seems thin at the end.

I guess that's why I posted this question because my hair should be dragging down on the floor by now and I don't want to keep cutting it just because it was overprocessed or underprocessed years ago.

I haven't posted pictures in my picture trail account yet but I have pictures up at BHCAB if you're a member there. Nothing special to look at but they're there.

I will definitely keep in mind what you said about the lack of heat making the ends look frizzy--I agree but what about the not so soft feeling as opposed to the rest of the hair?

adrienne0914

daviine, this is such a great question! it's sometimes hard to know whether the ends are healthy from touch. and sometimes trying to judge by sight isn't easy either because overly dry hair can appear to be unhealthy when it just needs some moisture.

i think i'm fortunate because when my hair is split, i can usually see it. it actually looks lighter where the splits are. if you look in my album, and compare the 2/9/02 pic to the 4/12/02 pic, the hair at the very bottom of the 4/12/02 pic appears to be a lighter brown. that's actually split ends. i got a trim shortly thereafter.

the section that seems so different from tthe rest of your hair sounds like it was a little underprocessed. also, i remember a while ago when your hairdresser took the relaxer from root to end. do you think that could have had an impact on some parts of your hair?

i think diet does play a part to a great extent. with me, when my diet was poor, i think the vitamins made up for what i was lacking vs. helping my hair. now that it's better, they actually help my hair. lol!

adrienne

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Yep!

Healthy Hair--I saw your pics on BHCAB. I really like the back shot with your bra (sorry, that's the best way I can describe). What did you do to get that silky/shiny look you've got going on?

Also, I noticed on your full-length photo that you said you wish you could get your hair to look that full again. I think you can. What were you doing then and what did you do THAT DAY to get that look?

daviine

Okay Adrienne..here is the short version of what I said beforethe Internet gremilins stole my post.

I love you and as soon as Lee wins the lotto, I'm going to come out and give you the hug and kiss you deserve.

You actually remember that touchup disaster? I went back to BHCAB to print out old posts for my beauty notebook and that was in May 2001!!!!!!

At any rate, maybe that section is from there becasue the post said that prior to that my touchup was January...and then I lied and told her my hair was burning so she would take it out early. So the other pieces may be overprocessed and the new growth may have been underprocessed. Who knows? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

And if diet plays a major part--that would definitely be a problem for me. I sometimes go a whole day without having eaten a whole meal and not realizing it until someone asks me what I ate for the day. /images/graemlins/blush.gif