Questions For Bun Wearers!!!

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:

Ay, caramba!!! That may be the problem, too! If you are styling/pulling your hair back while it's at its weakest (wet or damp) you are risking breakage BIG TIME!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well its not wet or SOAKING WET...its a little damp or moisturized. So how can I moisturize my hair with out it being a little damped or feeling moisturized? My hair is at its weakest state when its dry...Im sure the weakest state of hair is different for everyone...right? I could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... no. Your hair overall is at its weakest when it's wet so if your hair is even WEAKER when it's dry then that's not good. You said in another post that your mom used to perm your hair all the way to the ends, but you suffered no damage. Well, I think the fact that your hair is weakest while dry IS the resulting damage.

Also, that Pantene stuff may not be working for you. I say wrap it at night, put moisturizer on it before styling, but make sure it's not even close to damp (are you putting too much
?). Style then leave it alone. Get a silk scarf and tie it up (whether wrapped or pre-bunned). Your hair is very fragile right now, period. It needs to be babied

Cinnabuns

For me Poohbear, I do the plastic baggie method everynight faithfully and everyday faithfully! I c/o wash my hair everynight and I put my hair in a ponytail by using a homemade scrunchie (pantyhose with the legs cut and I tied both ends and there you have it smooth and non-tangling ponytail holder) I always try to make sure it is not EVER tight and I put some EVOO in the plastic baggie and wrap my ends. Put a doo-rag on that's it! When I wake-up in the morning I just take the doo-rag off and my hair-line is already flatnned out. I just take a fine took comb and gently comb only the top layer (thanks C&H) and my hair comes out great. Then I do the plastic baggie method again but this time I use a fake bun. I got so many complements this morning you would not believe it.

I hope this has helped you. Maybe you should also try not to brush?

Dandy112

Hey Everyone, this is a little off topic but Leslie C, where did you get your scunci bun holder? I have been looking all over for one?

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
i get minimal breakage which i attribute to being almost 30 weeks post relaxer and no, it doesn't affect the overall health/length of my hair.

I've also noticed that whenever i don't use any products on my hair i experience little to no breakage whatsoever when redoing the bun. I think the products actually weigh the hair down (even if you use it sparsingly) and cause it to break... but then again, that could just b my hair. :scratchcin:

HLD - how do you secure that bun
I have the pins but I never tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep testing areas. Like, I'll stick it in one spot, and if it feels too loose, I'll try another spot until I feel it's secure enough. I usually have to move it around twice

ChasingBliss

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
HLD - i just checked out ur album... looking good... but um... like, how did u do those dang chopsticks

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the same way I do the pin. In fact I think the chop sticks are easier to get right the first time because I have two securing objects instead of one. The first stick goes down deep in and out to secure the bun and the second stick will just sorta get put in more lightly across the first one to form some sort of X.

Edited to say thanks for the compliment

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:

Ay, caramba!!! That may be the problem, too! If you are styling/pulling your hair back while it's at its weakest (wet or damp) you are risking breakage BIG TIME!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

well its not wet or SOAKING WET...its a little damp or moisturized. So how can I moisturize my hair with out it being a little damped or feeling moisturized? My hair is at its weakest state when its dry...Im sure the weakest state of hair is different for everyone...right? I could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.... no. Your hair overall is at its weakest when it's wet so if your hair is even WEAKER when it's dry then that's not good. You said in another post that your mom used to perm your hair all the way to the ends, but you suffered no damage. Well, I think the fact that your hair is weakest while dry IS the resulting damage.

Also, that Pantene stuff may not be working for you. I say wrap it at night, put moisturizer on it before styling, but make sure it's not even close to damp (are you putting too much
?). Style then leave it alone. Get a silk scarf and tie it up (whether wrapped or pre-bunned). Your hair is very fragile right now, period. It needs to be babied

[/ QUOTE ]

well i dunno when my hair is at its weakest state or when it experiences most breakage...Im not a hair expert here...also someone already mentioned about my mom perming all my hair but Ive never had any noticeable breakage problems when I used to wear my hair out all the time and comb it all the time...I also always style and then leave it alone...are you talking about I shouldn't redo the bun each morning or something??? Thanks for your response about what I should do to my hair.

Tracy

I think your #1 problem is not ponytail holders, moisturizers, or whether your scarf is silk, or satin - or anything like that.
If you repeatedly apply relaxer over already processed hair, it will eventually thin out and break off (even if it seems fine for a long time).

Your hair is overprocessed.

I also wouldn't sleep in a bun. You could just twist it up loosely and sleep in a satin bonnet. Then in the AM you can make your bun. The less overprocessed hair you have, the less breakage you'll see...

Good Luck!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I think your #1 problem is not ponytail holders, moisturizers, or whether your scarf is silk, or satin - or anything like that.
If you repeatedly apply relaxer over already processed hair, it will eventually thin out and break off (even if it seems fine for a long time).

Your hair is overprocessed.

I also wouldn't sleep in a bun. You could just twist it up loosely and sleep in a satin bonnet. Then in the AM you can make your bun. The less overprocessed hair you have, the less breakage you'll see...

Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tracy...i was figuring this was the case the whole time because from reading the post, people do their hair in different ways and they either get breakage or not...well I guess Im in a big dilemma...my hair thats already relaxed and color-treated is overprocessed and my new growth is underprocessed...BAD COMBINATION! OH NO!
WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!?!!
Will all my hair eventually just break off??!?!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
Not if you take care of it. Which you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

well...taking care of my hair is some hope there...

I just gotta get my mom to stop relaxing hair thats been previously relaxed

Leslie_C

poohbear, I dont think all of your hair will fall out, its just going to take (even more~!) time and effort in order for it to recooperate. You are doing pretty good just keep doing what u are doing, a few years ago my hair was the same way, overprocessed from years of perming my own hair and it would never get any longer than a little past my neck plus it was thin and see through. I ended up cutting mine off and starting again, but I know thats not the only way. If u have the time and patience, u can repair your hair and as your hair gets longer and u get trims,within the next year u could have a whole new head of hair. There are people here who have done it, and in Lisa Akabari;s book Beautiful Black Hair she says it can be done. keep the faith girlie!

chellee

Poohbear. I was having a similar issue to you. I recently learned that successful techniques will vary to accommodate your hair type, hair condition, length and texture. I am currently doing the bun challenge, however when I was moisturizing, using surge, saturating my ends, etc, I noticed a more breakage than expected.

Do you need a trim? Weak, splitting ends will break off anyway and are even more noticeable when wet.
Why are you moisturizing daily? Is it b/c your hair really needs it or are you using your moisturizer to hold your hair better while up? It seems that the longer your hair grows the less products you will need daily to keep it moisturized and looking smooth while up. Those scalp-produced oils have EVEN further to travel up the strands with longer hair so dry hair may be even more of an issue for some. Try moisturizing every few days for now.
How often are you relaxing? I stretched out my relaxer 11 weeks for the first time and it doesn't work for me. No more than 8-10 weeks from now on! Shorter hair IMO should be relaxed more frequently. For me, 2-6 inches of relaxed hair combined with anymore than one inch of new growth is a disaster waiting to happen. I had to do so much more to my hair to get it to look decent (more manipulation with CWs, tying my scarf tighter to get it to lay down, more products, more smoothing, etc). Braid-outs, twist-outs or braids in general don't quite look the same on shorter hair so this is not an option for me. The manipulating of the new growth on relaxed hair (two totally different textures) without that added length to ease the tension associated with handling it makes it very difficult to manage. The little hair I did save from protecting it, I lost while trying to part it to apply softening products to my new growth and then again when parting it for a touch-up. It got to the point where I couldn't comb through it at all. Too much hassle with not enough benefits if you know what I mean.

Lastly, when I redo my buns, I don't comb my hair down completely. I put my scarf on first, unloose the holder and go to sleep. When I wake up I don't have to touch the edges much if at all and just reapply the holder.

As my hair grows longer, of course my styling process and daily maintenance procedures will change but these decisions are based on my observations for the time being . . .

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
Poohbear. I was having a similar issue to you. I recently learned that successful techniques will vary to accommodate your hair type, hair condition, length and texture. I am currently doing the bun challenge, however when I was moisturizing, using surge, saturating my ends, etc, I noticed a more breakage than expected.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I'm learning too...

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
Do you need a trim? Weak, splitting ends will break off anyway and are even more noticeable when wet.

[/ QUOTE ]
The last trim I had was in the middle of May. I am on the no trim challenge right now and don't want to cut anymore of my hair. I plan on getting my next trim once my hair reaches bra-strap or maybe May 2005. When my hair is wet, all my hair feels the same. But when my hair is damp or dry, my ends are drier than the rest of my hair...even after moisturizing...

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
Why are you moisturizing daily? Is it b/c your hair really needs it or are you using your moisturizer to hold your hair better while up? It seems that the longer your hair grows the less products you will need daily to keep it moisturized and looking smooth while up. Those scalp-produced oils have EVEN further to travel up the strands with longer hair so dry hair may be even more of an issue for some. Try moisturizing every few days for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm moisturizing daily (almost everyday) because I thought it was a good idea for my bun regime. Moisturizing has helped with maintaining my hair while it's up. When I re-moisturize each day, my hair still feels moisturized before I apply a moisturizer. Right now, my hair isn't that long, an inch or two passed my shoulders...plus Im really trying to use up all my products so I don't let them go to waste...then I plan on using less and less products as my hair does grow...

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
How often are you relaxing? I stretched out my relaxer 11 weeks for the first time and it doesn't work for me. No more than 8-10 weeks from now on! Shorter hair IMO should be relaxed more frequently. For me, 2-6 inches of relaxed hair combined with anymore than one inch of new growth is a disaster waiting to happen. I had to do so much more to my hair to get it to look decent (more manipulation with CWs, tying my scarf tighter to get it to lay down, more products, more smoothing, etc). Braid-outs, twist-outs or braids in general don't quite look the same on shorter hair so this is not an option for me. The manipulating of the new growth on relaxed hair (two totally different textures) without that added length to ease the tension associated with handling it makes it very difficult to manage. The little hair I did save from protecting it, I lost while trying to part it to apply softening products to my new growth and then again when parting it for a touch-up. It got to the point where I couldn't comb through it at all. Too much hassle with not enough benefits if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just recently started to extend my relaxer touch-up times. My last relaxer was June 13 which was after 6.5 weeks of waiting and my hair turned out underprocessed. So right now I have 6.5 weeks worth of new growth. Im going to try to extend the time to get my next relaxer in September. Wish me luck on that.
As Ive said in other posts, braid-outs and twist-outs arent an option for me either because my hair doesn't look right in them since Im growing out a layered cut and my hair isnt long and full enough. The roots are thick while the ends are see-thru...not good. So thats why Im doing the bun challenge to grow my hair out so it's not noticeable and so I dont have worry about what my hair looks like and just leave it alone...

[ QUOTE ]
chellee said:
Lastly, when I redo my buns, I don't comb my hair down completely. I put my scarf on first, unloose the holder and go to sleep. When I wake up I don't have to touch the edges much if at all and just reapply the holder.

As my hair grows longer, of course my styling process and daily maintenance procedures will change but these decisions are based on my observations for the time being . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good idea for what you're doing to redo your bun...Instead of wearing my hair in a bun at night, Im going to start wearing my hair inna a loose twist at night (like Tracy suggested) and then put it in a bun in the morning.

I believe the same about the styling process and maintenance procedures will change for me too...I will use less products and probably use a Goody hair pin instead of a scrunchi (like HoneyLemonDrop). Right now, I need my scrunchies to give my bun volume because my buns would look teeny-weeny without them.

Thanks for your helpful post chellee!

Ayeshia

I remember when I had my bun (wasnt on a challenge just an every day style for me) the hair at the base of the ponytail had a good amount of breakage. I started wearing banana clips/jaw clips instead to hold my bun instead of actual ponytail holders, and my hair recovered in about 3 months or so. Sorry if my help sucked

Babygurl

I bun my hair using mini-scrunchies (I used to use ouchless bands but stopped due to minor breakge) and have not had breakage. at all. Pictures of how I bun my hair are in my photo album.

Isis

I have not experienced bun breakage at all so far, since I began a year ago, starting with ouchless bands then switching to mini-scrunchies as I learned from the ladies here. I always alternated with French Twists though (which I love!
) and didn't comb except while detangling under a shower and combing my leave-in through. No combing on my dry hair at all and no brushing. So my hair didn't have much or any tension, which can play a major role in breakage.

BTW, your hair is more than long enough to do a beautiful French Twist, Poohbear. This style also makes it look like we have more hair than we do, no matter what the actual length or thickness. And there is no tension and only a couple of Good Hair Day pins (or sticks) will work great.

Leslie_C

great idea, Isis! I noticed the same thing about twisting it up, like how godzooki(I believe thats the one!) does in her album, thats even simpler. At first I thought I didnt have enough hair for a bun until I discovered my scuncci magic bun and now its fine! But the twist up with a hair comb or clip is cute and does make you look like u have more hair and its great for variety!

Irresistible

Poohbear,

your mom relaxes the whole length of your hair every single time? oh my!! girl have her do only the new growth, I believe you will see a huge difference just changing that part alone!!

Leslie_C

yeah, u really will see a difference within a few times of doing that. dont worry, my mom used to do the same thing, moms dont know any better.

some ppl must have some STRONG hair though, bc I used to work with a girl with the prettiest thickest hair that was a little past her shoulders but stunning, and she did her own perms at home. She said every time she permed it, she put it on the roots first, then worked it through her hair and then washed it out. I was suprised bc it was so full and pretty...my hair was never able to get longer or thicker with that kind of stuff....

Poohbear

I tried my bun with one Good hair day pin and it works great but my bun looks so tiny. I'm going to start doing rollersets and wrapping at night. Once my rollerwrap starts looking bad, I will put it inna a bun when it's not wet. Since my hair is overprocessed and I styled it in a wet bun, I think it contributed to the breakage I was having.

I will start alternating each week between rollersets and buns... does this sound like a good idea for relaxed, color-treated hair???

greenidlady1

I used to notice this too. To combat that, I've started using my moisture spray on the ends to bottom third of my hair, and then once it's all twisted up, I spray all parts that will come into contact with the scrunchie. This has cut down on the breakage for me...
Take care,
G

Leslie_C

Poohbear, I think that would be fine for u because your hair isnt so long its brushing on your clothes all day making it dry and causing breakage.

I plan to alternate with that style too(I found a dominican salon that only charges 13 and 15 bucks!)...I notice when my hair is done at the salon, my cuticle and ends are sealed so well that I get almost zero breakage from daily combing and manipulation until I wash out the style. I wish I could get my hair that smoothed out myself!

Also, my bun is puny too, but the scuncii magic bun helped to pump it up really nice!

Poohbear

I now look back on this thread and would like to thank all you ladies who helped me out on the bun challenge over the past several months! Instead of putting my hair in a bun when my hair is wet, I wait until my hair has airdried about 80-90%. I apply S-Curl and twist my hair around, starting at the base, into a bun (no ponytail beforehand). No more unruly breakage! :clap:

Now that my hair is thicker, my buns don't look as puny anymore as they use to. I can now secure my bun with a Good Days Hair Pin like HoneyLemonDrop uses. :grin: I still use a scrunchi loosely around my bun for decoration. Leslie_C, I could never find that scunci magic bun at any store. But I plan on getting some other hair accessories to decorate my buns now since I'm back on board to the bun challenge for my Super Grow Out Challenge for 2005. :)

P.S. I do plan on wearing weave for the first couple of months of 2005, then I'm back to the bun challenge! ;)

Last edited: