Questions for Naturals who keep their hair straight??

BlkOnyx488

Ok I apologize if these questions have been asked already.
I did a search and didn't find any thing
So here are my questions

1. How often do you apply heat to your hair?
2. Are you retaining length?
3. Can I see some pics?

Nice & Wavy

So here are my questions

3. Can I see some pics?

I don't apply too much, but I will say twice a month and then skip a month or two.

Yes, I am retaining length, especially since I've been consistently using Ayurveda products.

My avatar is my latest picture.

BlkOnyx488

Have you always had long hair?
My definition of long hair is
Shoulder Length or Longer. Because I have never been SL before:ohwell:

Thanks for the response your hair is gorgeous!

I don't apply too much, but I will say twice a month and then skip a month or two.

Yes, I am retaining length, especially since I've been consistently using Ayurveda products.

My avatar is my latest picture.

Nice & Wavy

Have you always had long hair?
My definition of long hair is
Shoulder Length or Longer. Because I have never been SL before:ohwell:

Thanks for the response your hair is gorgeous!
Thanks, girl.

The longest my hair got was when I was 22 and it was MBL. I cut it in a bob (ear length) and it just didn't grow back after that. I was relaxed.

I think SL is long hair too. You will get there if you just keep the heat to a minimum and keep your focus on healthy hair:yep:

ETA: Actually looking at your pics again, your hair is SL and growing. Keep up whatever you are doing. I know that SL to APL seemed like it too forever.....

Nelli04

sorry i don't have pics, but get my hair straightened every 6 weeks. I am starting a new regimen so i'll get back to you on the retaining part

a_shoe_6307

Bumping for you...

Yes, I want to start back straightening regular because it is starting to get cooler, so I'd like to know as well.

fyb87

As of April this year I started wearing it curly all the time. But, for 10 years I wore it straight.

1. How often do you apply heat to your hair? One every 2-3 weeks (flat-iron only)

2. Are you retaining length? Yes, I was TL when I stopped wearing it straight

3. Can I see some pics? In my fotki I have a couple. I hadn't found hair forums yet so I wasn't taking hair pics!!

BlkOnyx488

Thanks, girl.

The longest my hair got was when I was 22 and it was MBL. I cut it in a bob (ear length) and it just didn't grow back after that. I was relaxed.

I think SL is long hair too. You will get there if you just keep the heat to a minimum and keep your focus on healthy hair:yep:

ETA: Actually looking at your pics again, your hair is SL and growing. Keep up whatever you are doing. I know that SL to APL seemed like it too forever.....

Thanks this is the longest my hair has ever been, and I get a little concerned that it will disappear. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have, I have realized my hiar was just gone in spots. Mostly I have just been wearing it, in a fro. but i have thinking if i could straighten safely and wear protective styles I would retain more length. I still noticea lot of coils the fall out whenever I detangle.

sorry i don't have pics, but get my hair straightened every 6 weeks. I am starting a new regimen so i'll get back to you on the retaining part

Patiently awaiting the pics:grin:

Thank you!

BlackMasterPiece

For the early years of my transition and being natural I would straighten every single wash back to back with no breaks which would be every 1, 1 1/2 to 2 weeks I did this for about 3 yrs and I retained nice length I was between APL and MBL for a couple of yrs there. I was able to do this because I have coarse strands and I was using moderate heat with heat protectant.

It's the fall going into winter now In NYC so I'm enjoying my new longer length with a press & flat iron but now I make a point of giving my hair much more breaks and that has really helped me on these last coupla inches toward my first goal of MBL.

BostonMaria

To answer your questions:

1. How often do you apply heat to your hair? I don't have a set schedule, but I would say approximately every 3-4 weeks. In the winter I do rollersets weekly. In the summer I hardly use heat at all.
2. Are you retaining length? Yes I am. I retain about 6 inches a year.
3. Can I see some pics? My avatar shows my current length

I don't see anything wrong with doing straight styles. To me it adds variety and helps me curve manipulation of my hair. When its curly I tend to touch my hair too much.

Natural Glow

So here are my questions

3. Can I see some pics?
1. I try to rollerset 1-2 times a month. Most of the time I only apply heat to straighten the roots right after I rollerset but sometimes I'll take a cool flatiron over the ends if I had my hair up in a bun and my ends are curly

2. I think so.

3. Here is a pic from earlier in the year

Here is a pic from a few weeks ago

Oh and for kicks here is a pic I found from back when I first joined LHCF. I was relaxed and had a sucky camera

Last edited: