Questions for naturals

L

legs71

A while ago there was a post about straightening natural hair. I'm not sure who said this, but someone recommended straightening natural hair with a flat iron was much better opposed to using a straightening comb. Can someone tell me why? Also, lately I've been taking out my braids and straightening sections just to see how long it's getting. The ends of my hair don't straighten as well and they feel very rough in comparison to the rest of my hair. Is this something common for people with natural hair?

Tara

Whenever I've had my hair straightened, my hairdresser always blowdries first and flat irons second. When my hair is blowdried, it looks like how some people say their hair looks when it is "pressed", and when my hair is flat ironed it looks relaxed, so I can't say that the hair not straightening well is a reflection of being natural. BUT, I will say, it seems that hair dressers have little tricks to get our hair to look a certain way that we can't duplicate at home, LOL! I don't know why that is.

I would suggest, first using some sort of "heat protect" that also encourages getting the hair straight, then blowdry the section, then press, and see if it makes a difference.

I wish I could offer more help but I only get my hair straightened (flat ironed) once every few years, so I wish I could offer you some products to use at home.

bumping for ladies that self straighten

HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

L

legs71

Tara,

All of my hair straigtens wonderful expect an inch at the tips. The ends of my hair are very, very curly. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or maybe because it's the "oldest" hair on my head that's why it feels so rough! Thanks for the tips! I will try them next time.

Tara

I totally understand, my hair ends are the same way /images/graemlins/grin.gif so you can identify. If I try to straighten my hair at home, it never gets as straight as when I go to the shop.

They got magic tricks or something. Next time, I'll ask my hairdresser what she is using and post it for you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
With kinky hair, the individual follicles are so weak that they only find strength in numbers. The flat iron, unlike the hot comb, does not separate the hairs from one another, so it is somewhat better than the hot comb. Although this argument is a bit moot -- flat irons damage hair just as well as hot combs -- there you have it.

hairfanatic

Hi Legs,

It was my own personal opinion in what I noticed in my hair. Someone else may feel just the opposite.

The reason I suggested it was because I noticed when I used a pressing comb, my hair split...A LOT. With the curling iron and pressing comb, it was flattening the hairs together and making them straight. I also noticed that with a curling iron and flat iron, I didn't get bald spots in my head as if I was burning it out, plus the temperature settings made it good for me to control the heat that was applied to my hair.

I have also noticed that the ends was the hardest to get straight with a pressing comb but once I started training my hair with the curling iron, that was no longer a problem. Products make a difference also.

SVT

Hmmm. I'm not sure of the damage difference between hot combs and flatirons. I prefer flatirons because I'm done with my hair quicker.

As for rough ends, sometimes my hair gets like that too. The shaft is straight but my ends are frizzy and rough to the touch. I usually end up trimming those ends off. I think my frizzy, rough ends are due to a lack of hydration and oiling.

Even when I wear press, I try to take extra care of the ends. I've been lightly misting them with a mixture of spring water and conditioner or spring water and glycerin rosewater. I apply jojoba or olive oil on top of that then wrap my hair in a silk scarf. In the morning I know if I sprayed to much. I wind up having to re-press if I did. Delicate balance.

I haven't found a thermal protectant I'm happy with yet, but that's another idea to protect the ends.

I've never worn braids so I don't know the exact maintenance required, but are you able to moisturize and oil your ends? Some ladies have written that the type of hair used for the braids will affect the moisture levels in their own hair.

posted by legs71
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
A while ago there was a post about straightening natural hair. I'm not sure who said this, but someone recommended straightening natural hair with a flat iron was much better opposed to using a straightening comb. Can someone tell me why? Also, lately I've been taking out my braids and straightening sections just to see how long it's getting. The ends of my hair don't straighten as well and they feel very rough in comparison to the rest of my hair. Is this something common for people with natural hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

SVT

Ahhhh...now I'm understanding the different results that can be experienced between flatirons and pressing combs.

posted by hairfanatic:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hi Legs,

It was my own personal opinion in what I noticed in my hair. Someone else may feel just the opposite.

The reason I suggested it was because I noticed when I used a pressing comb, my hair split...A LOT. With the curling iron and pressing comb, it was flattening the hairs together and making them straight. I also noticed that with a curling iron and flat iron, I didn't get bald spots in my head as if I was burning it out, plus the temperature settings made it good for me to control the heat that was applied to my hair.

I have also noticed that the ends was the hardest to get straight with a pressing comb but once I started training my hair with the curling iron, that was no longer a problem. Products make a difference also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Faith

I also found the pressing comb ripped more hair out (no matter how small the part was), gave me more split ends and my ends would break (all over my shoulders) after I used it. With the flatiron I don't have that problem except like it has been said it's still heat so I do have to watch for split ends (not as much though).

ladytee

Well it seems to me that pressing would be more damaging because of the hot comb you run through your hair. Those little hot teeth on the comb seems way more damaging than a flat iron. But if you deep condition and blow dry before hand you should be okay with the flat iron. I'm transioning now with braids but as soon as I'm natural I hope this is what works for me. If a permed head can handle the heat of a flat iron then certainly a natural head can.

L

legs71

Thank you all for your responses. I'm relieved to discover some of my other natural sistas have experienced the rough ends. I thought maybe it was something I was not doing enough of because I always take extra care in moisturizing my roots and the length of my hair in the braids. Over the summer I had my mom hot comb my hair a couple of times and come to think of it the process made my rough ends even worse. My mother had complained the ends wouldn't sraighten and trimmed them for me. It helped for awhile and maybe a month later they were back and I refused to let her trim them. As I mentioned in my original post I take out a section of braids and flat iron them. Since my new growth is so soft thanks to the vitamin regimen the flat iron works just as effective the hot comb. thanks again!