Questions to the Cottonhead Naturals

kandi1280

Hi all,

I just had a question for all the 4a/b cotton hair naturals out there.

How do you keep your ends moisturized without over doing it? Is is easier buying store made products or making your own? I kind of like the ones that I make a little better, but I still don't have the exact measurements down, and by the end of the week my hair feels a little "filmy."

Also I tried to set my hair in perm rods, but when I took them out my hair had no shape what-so-ever. does our hair take to perm rods for a straw set look or do we have to straighten it first?

One more question, have any of you tired Asha's products? If so, which ones and how well did they work?

Thank for any responses.

jainygirl

Hey!! :wave: I"m one of those cottony naturals :D. To keep my ends moisturized i use Soft and Sheen spray and Elasta QP Mango Butter. I use the Soft and Sheen as my daily spray and I use the mango butter after i no 'poo and pat the water out of my hair. I also apply a litte more mango butter the next day. This helps lock in moisture and my hair stays soft but not weighed down :). I'm looking forward to trying shea butter next so hopefully those three will round out my products for the time being.

I have a twa so i dont know about the setting your hair thing. My guess is that you would have to do it with your hair damp or wet so that it would come out better. Dry hair already has the shape it's gonna have so unless your doing twists for a twistout or braids for a braidout i'm guessing that it would be difficult to get a different look on hair that has already been dried. AFashionSlave has a section on setting her hair in her album though, you may want to give that a look. HTH -- jainygirl

deedabug

i think the best thing for wet sets are to pull the hair really taut....perm rods aint work for me....straw set i tried once on my own and it sucked...i dont think i was using the right products....i have no idea what they could be tho lol

one way to keep from overmoisturizing is dont apply alot of it while ur hair is wet...and then slap on more after it's dry...i tend to overkill....i havent been making homemade products for moisturization much...i did it alot in the summer tho..they seemed to work better then for me

i havent tried asha's products...still wondering what's in them

rmw35

Hi, I usually moisterize my ends with shea butter and I have used Asha's products, specifically "sun kissed". It is sooo nice when I twist my hair, it makes my twists soft and shiny. Here is her website for further info: www.ashasnaturals.com.

Her customer service is excellent!

Bunny77

deedabug said:
i think the best thing for wet sets are to pull the hair really taut....perm rods aint work for me....straw set i tried once on my own and it sucked...i dont think i was using the right products....i have no idea what they could be tho lol

one way to keep from overmoisturizing is dont apply alot of it while ur hair is wet...and then slap on more after it's dry...i tend to overkill....i havent been making homemade products for moisturization much...i did it alot in the summer tho..they seemed to work better then for me

i havent tried asha's products...still wondering what's in them

Hey deedabug, when do you put your moisturizer in? I find that using stuff like Asha's, Carol's Daughter, Whipped Pudding, etc... isn't good when my hair is wet, but I'd like to use it when dry. Do you wait until the hair is just damp and then put on the moisturizer? I'm thinking this might be the trick. When I put it on dry hair, it just sits there.

deedabug

i put my products on fresh squeezed out of the shower because i have other scheduled events after doing my hair so i dont have time to wait...if i did it while damp i prolly wouldnt get overmoisturized...then when i get up in the morning i usually add more...

in the whipped pudding thread it was compared to a butter...i put shea butter or a cocoa butter mix on while wet and brush thru with a boar bristle brush...this is good for smoothing....cottony hair is funny...for mine i have realized it needs to be weighed down with products to prevent the balling up effect and frizz ends...thats hard to get out of butter...it moisturizes but doesnt completely help to keep the hair tame after its dry and u comb it again...im gonna try maybe curly pudding or bbd glass or stretch...or maybe together...

Height

Cottonhead checking in. I tried my sample of optimum oil theraphy dry hair healer and it worked for me.

TigerLily

Major cottonball, here! :wave:

I agree with deeda. Don't use products on your hair while wet. Your hair will soak it up like a sponge and then be dry and crisp when it gets dry.

I use:
Elasta QP Mango Butter, ORS shea butter lotion, unrefined shea butter and SCurl

I haven't tried Asha's products. I use MyHoneychild products and my hair loves it!!! So far, these products have provided the most moisture for my hair without any type of buildup/filmy feeling

http://www.myhoneychild.com/