Rant: Eco Styler Gel and Karen's body beutiful

lashannasmall

This is just a rant.

I should have known to stick to what works. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Kinky Curly and tried the Ecostyler gel with oil as a barrier for softness and my hair came out horrible. I should have known in the shower when I didn't feel any slip. It was not as defined as Kinky Curly and it did not feel moisturized like Kinky curly. I used it to slick my sides and I honestly like IC sparklelights better.

I tried the Karen's Body Beautiful because I was looking for something moisturizing for when I don't want to wet my hair that will hold a twist out. I got the butter and I got the hair milk. The butter left a greasy coating on my hair but it still felt dry. My twist out lasted like two hours. The hair milk did absolutely nothing. It claimed that it defined curls I put it in my hair when it was wet and there were no defined curls just a cloud. I put my hair into a puff and I left the house for like two hours. It felt dry again when I got back. A waste of 50 dollars.

I wound up having to put Kinky Curly in it this morning and using a blow dryer just so I could go to the movies this morning without a white residue on my hair.

The only thing that seems to make my hair soft and moisturized is water, conditioner, and Kinky Curly. IC sparkelties for my edges.

So sorry they did not work for you; however, before you trash the products or give them away be sure to try them on damp hair or dry hair instead of just wet hair in the shower.

I get great results with Ecostyler but I do not apply in the shower. I am still working with Hair Milk, Hair Butter & Hair Nectar from KBB to see which application process works best.

This youtuber gives a great explanation regarding applying the same product on 3 different heads in different ways to get the desired result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVphb5T_G4

You don't need oil with eco styler gel. Maybe you used too many products together. I used eco styler gel alone and got really good results. Sorry it didn't work for you.:ohwell:

try the same process you use with the ecostyler that you do with KCCC:

first: water, conditioner, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then: water, KBB butter, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then finally: water, KBB hair milk, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then finally finally :lol:: ecostyler by itself

try doing these out of the shower vs in (like you do with KCCC). Try them on WnGs andn with wet twists and see if they work better. That's several times using them again at least, so maybe this will help to further experiment and use up the product. Who knows, one of these may work for you...:crossfingers:

Last edited:
I think like PP said adding stuff or oil changes the
effectiveness of gels IMO whenever I use EVOO or CO with my gel it doesn't hold as well.

yea i think your bad result has to do more with your application choice. instead of using an oil, try something more moisturizing, and then apply the gel. But don't overdo it. It's still a gel, and it still has gel properties

So sorry they did not work for you; however, before you trash the products or give them away be sure to try them on damp hair or dry hair instead of just wet hair in the shower.

I get great results with Ecostyler but I do not apply in the shower. I am still working with Hair Milk, Hair Butter & Hair Nectar from KBB to see which application process works best.

This youtuber gives a great explanation regarding applying the same product on 3 different heads in different ways to get the desired result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVphb5T_G4

Thank you. I don't know if I will try it again. I am a very busy person. Even on weekends, I don't have the luxury of sitting around my house. I had to rewash and blow dry my hair after every failed attempt with the Ecostyler and Karen's body beautiful.

You don't need oil with eco styler gel. Maybe you used too many products together. I used eco styler gel alone and got really good results. Sorry it didn't work for you.:ohwell:

If I use gel like that by itself, It makes my hair dry and crunchy. Their were areas that I didn't saturate with the Karen's body beautiful before putting the gel on and they were super dry and the curl didn't hold.

try the same process you use with the ecostyler that you do with KCCC:

first: water, conditioner, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then: water, KBB butter, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then finally: water, KBB hair milk, and ecostyler + a little extra ecostyler for your edges
then finally finally :lol:: ecostyler by itself

try doing these out of the shower vs in (like you do with KCCC). Try them on WnGs andn with wet twists and see if they work better. That's several times using them again at least, so maybe this will help to further experiment and use up the product. Who knows, one of these may work for you...:crossfingers:

I did the the last 3 things you suggested and it didn't work. Even that twist out I did, had a little leave in conditioner on it so it was not totally dry. It just wasn't soaking wet. It still didn't work. Butters, in general do not work on me. It was my bad for getting it.

Thank you ladies for all your replies. I am just going to give the products to my daughter. My hair is a 4A/4B mix. It requires special love to get any definition and most products don't work for me. I was just being really optimistic about those LOL...

I know this is probably kind of late, but I always used moisturizing products under the gel if i'm going to use them, and oils over the gel. I'm not a fan of fantasia IC (though I do like kinky curly more than most things) and that always helps.

Also there's a gel called i think, IC Shine curl activator for dry hair (mouthful) you can get it at CVS for i think 3.99. For me its kind of inbetween IC (which dries me out) and KCCC.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

I apply cholesterol & eco-styler gel in the shower and then plop and my curls come out beautiful and soft.

Oil + Gel = white residue. But it should absorb before your hair is mostly dry.

This is one of the reasons why I love Plopping. It further defines the curls, AND gets rid of extra product.

Another option - add your products outside the shower like other suggested, then duck your head under the faucet for a quick cold COLD water rinse and the shake-shake-shake.

the cold water rinse will clump your hair, and get rid of the excess all in one step.

Back