LET'S TALK ABOUT KINKY-CURLY CUSTARD

Hair_Goddess

Hi guys. It's been awhile since we spoke. I'm still rockin' my natural 4b hair (it's been 6 months since my last weave - yea me) but I'm tired of flat ironing it and trying to keep in straight in this 100 degree weather. :nono: Plus, I'm going to the desert (Las Vegas) this weekend and it's probably going to be even hotter. :blush: My flat ironed hair will most likely revert in a matter of hours, even with the best heat protectant!

So I went to Whole Foods today and bougth this Kinky-Curly styling gel, leave in/detangler and gloss pomade. I figure since my hair will probably revert on me - I might as well have some say in the whole process and have nice, shiny, defined curls, right? So here are my questions:

1)My hair is super thick. How much is too much Kinky Curly gel to use to get nice shiny, well defined, curls?

2)I always use silicone products on my hair from shampoos, conditioners, to heat protectants (Sabino's Lok & Blok) but I've noticed that the folks at Kinky-Curly frown on silicones. Why?

3)I use Sabino Lok & Blok and Victor Sabino says to towel dry your hair and put his heat protectant on first before any styling gel. But Kinky-Curly says if you're hair is mad thick, put the styling gel on dripping wet hair. So should I follow Kinky-Curly and put the stylin gel on first then the Sabino L&B or follow Victor's instructions? :look:

4)What is the Kinky-Curly gloss promade for? To smooth down the edges?

5) I've seen on other threads that some people use curl activator with Kinky-Curly gel. What curl activator do you recommend to keep my mane nice and shiny and curly?

6)How do you sleep on Kinky-Curly hair at night? Just wear a silk cap or tie a scarf around ya head?

7)What was/is your experince with Kinky-Curly, especially if your natural hair is 4a or 4b? Please tell me the good, bad, and the ugly - no holding back!! And please post pics if you have them!

Planning to do a test run of kinky curly either tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks ya'll!!!

ajargon02

http://kinky-curly.com/tips.php
tips from kinky curly site.

There's so many threads that talk about it. You will find a few below. Just put in Kinky curly custard in the search box and you will find them.

Threads to check out that mention the use of kinky curly products:
www.longhaircareforum.com/archive/index.../t-465754-p-65.html
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=276133
www.longhaircareforum.com/.../81_Kinky%20Curly%20Curling%20Custard
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=28506

Hair_Goddess

Thanks! I saw most of these threads already but they didn't really answer all of my questions. That's why I decided to start this thread.

BlaqBella

I'm going through the same thing op. I just wasn't ready to deal with the shrinkage...i got more length now.Didn't read the whole post op but i can tell you that you don't need much. I had to learn that kinda the hard way (still learning). I found that when i used it like i would a moisturizer or something i know won't flake... KKC WILL FLAKE. I should have known better b/c i watched countless yt videos and read post here that spoke about the flaking issue. I also heard water rejuvinates/reactivates it the next day. You may want to look up brittanynic's yt channel she has a great tutorial on her braidouts on heat trained hair. And lookup westndianbeauty's braid out post/threads b/c she actually uses KKC for her braidouts.

janda

I have to use the KCKT with it to make it work. I agree that you should watch some videos. Then you have to play around with as different people need different amounts.

ashleymichelle1

I also have to use it with KCKT to make Kinky curly work . It really holds my curls and i love it...the key is a little goes a long way...don't plop a huge amount on or you will have a flaky, cruncy, mess . I also like to use an oil with it so it won't become to hard and it works great for me . As for ther other stuff never tried them so I can't help you too much there.

ashleymichelle1

oh and to answer 6...i usually tie a silk scarf around my head...some days i can get away with 2nd day hair..but i usually end up doing a wash n go the next morning.

Hair_Goddess

oh and to answer 6...i usually tie a silk scarf around my head...some days i can get away with 2nd day hair..but i usually end up doing a wash n go the next morning.

Oh so the curls will only last 1-2 days? And do you apply the oil to your hair before the KCC or right after?

NaturalBoss

I bought KKCC when I first bc'd and it did nothing for my hair. My sister used it and hated it. I'm not sure about our hair types but my guess would be that I'm a 4a and she's a 3c/4a. I don't think it's even worth anything if you still have to use curl activator with it.

I don't wear my hair down but I wear puffs quite frequently. I use cheap Long Aid activator and then spray on S-Curl No Drip. My curls are defined w/o even trying and my hair stays moisturized all day.

lexiwiththecurls

1)My hair is super thick. How much is too much Kinky Curly gel to use to get nice shiny, well defined, curls? From what I have read and experienced, leave the Knot Today in and don't use too much Kinky Curly...Ive heard people say they use more Knot Today than Kinky curly on thick hair..I would do it lightly enough to coat it

2)I always use silicone products on my hair from shampoos, conditioners, to heat protectants (Sabino's Lok & Blok) but I've noticed that the folks at Kinky-Curly frown on silicones. Why? Alot of people don't like silicones. Silicones are great for heat protectants. From my understanding, it coats the hair therefore protects it.

3)I use Sabino Lok & Blok and Victor Sabino says to towel dry your hair and put his heat protectant on first before any styling gel. But Kinky-Curly says if you're hair is mad thick, put the styling gel on dripping wet hair. So should I follow Kinky-Curly and put the stylin gel on first then the Sabino L&B or follow Victor's instructions? :look:
I thought Lok and Blok was just a heat protectant? No need to put a heat protectant on for a Wash and Go style. I wouldn't even mix the two products together. Adding the products may be the difference between good results and not so good results. Most companies products are made to work with each other...and not with other products. I went to a seminar she had and she said to not have anything else in your hair when using it...Of course Im sure some people have found things that work well for them..but I don't think a heat protectant would be a good mix with it.

4)What is the Kinky-Curly gloss promade for? To smooth down the edges? Yes you can use it on the edges for flly aways

5) I've seen on other threads that some people use curl activator with Kinky-Curly gel. What curl activator do you recommend to keep my mane nice and shiny and curly? You should try it on its own first and see if you like the results...I don't have any recommendations for activators

6)How do you sleep on Kinky-Curly hair at night? Just wear a silk cap or tie a scarf around ya head? A silk bonet and fluff in the morning

7)What was/is your experince with Kinky-Curly, especially if your natural hair is 4a or 4b? Please tell me the good, bad, and the ugly - no holding back!! And please post pics if you have them! I had a great experience. Depending on how much you use,your hair could get hard. I dont mind hard hair on me because it lasts longer and Im okay with that. If you want to you can "scrunch out the crunch".

I really suggest you try it and see how you like it before adding other products to it. I would follow Shelley's instructions and then if you aren't happy with the results then do your modifications. Biggest tip- dont overdo the KCCC. My first time I had no issues like alot of people do with flaking, etc...because I researched how much ..its better to start with not enough then to have too much.

Curlykale

Hi! Just wanted to add: my hair is a thick sponge and full shoulder length and I use, in total, half a tablespoon to 1 tablespoon, I never need more. But it is very important that my hair is moisturized and dripping wet and that I apply a little bit section by section, from root to tip, smoothing and raking, sometimes I use my denman. If I then want a more voluminous result I reapply a pea size amount smoothing my whole head upside down in the shower. If my hair is dripping wet I can apply a small teaspoon of coconut oil on my ends before the kccc and it causes no problems at all / it disappears when dry. I don't need shine enhancers or silicones because the kccc, if used in the right way, leaves your hair very shiny and smooth.

What made a big difference in applying it to me: dripping wet hair vs non dripping wet (ths one was a dramatic difference), using a denman or not, what I used underneath.

I think you can use the gloss pomade to seal your dripping wet hair as well, instead of oil.

Last edited:

mrs.melton08

Oh so the curls will only last 1-2 days? And do you apply the oil to your hair before the KCC or right after?

I use a silk bonnet and then re-wet any parts that might have gotten "smooshed and scruch and it goes right back to my "popping" curls. I ussually keep my hair up for a week and then wash, but actually this week I was real nbusy so I am on 2nd week hair and it is still going strong. But I am a 3b in the front, 3c in the back and 4a in the middle so our hair types are a little different.

As for your other questions....not sure how much this weighs on the whole thing, but they do kinda say that you need to have your hair kinda silicone free and to use their knot today shampoo and to keep it silicone free for the best results. Like a PP said this is probably because silicones are not really used too much in the no heat natural styles.

Putting it on dripping hair is a must, but overall I love it.

Hair_Goddess

I really suggest you try it and see how you like it before adding other products to it. I would follow Shelley's instructions and then if you aren't happy with the results then do your modifications. Biggest tip- dont overdo the KCCC. My first time I had no issues like alot of people do with flaking, etc...because I researched how much ..its better to start with not enough then to have too much.
Thanks Lexi! Actually, Sabino is a heat protectant and an "anti-frizz" product. He recommends that you first apply L&B to natural curly hair (before adding gel) for a couple reasons, maninly to "lock in" all the moisture and conditioners from your wash routine (he says most shampoo and condish products evaporate after 2 hours but not with L&B) and to protect your natural hair against frizz, especially in high humidity. Here's a link to his yt video about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iktrBP6aVA&feature=player_embedded#!

Last edited:

Hair_Goddess

Hi! Just wanted to add: my hair is a thick sponge and full shoulder length and I use, in total, half a tablespoon to 1 tablespoon, I never need more. But it is very important that my hair is moisturized and dripping wet and that I apply a little bit section by section, from root to tip, smoothing and raking, sometimes I use my denman. If I then want a more voluminous result I reapply a pea size amount smoothing my whole head upside down in the shower. If my hair is dripping wet I can apply a small teaspoon of coconut oil on my ends before the kccc and it causes no problems at all / it disappears when dry. I don't need shine enhancers or silicones because the kccc, if used in the right way, leaves your hair very shiny and smooth.

What made a big difference in applying it to me: dripping wet hair vs non dripping wet (ths one was a dramatic difference), using a denman or not, what I used underneath.

I think you can use the gloss pomade to seal your dripping wet hair as well, instead of oil.
Ciccina do you have KCCC in your avatar picture?

Hair_Goddess

So I've been watching several yt videos and I see some women applying this in the shower (with lots of water) and at their bathroom sinks (with much less water or completely "dry"). The ones who are applying KCCC at the bathroom sink (especially the ones with 4b or 4c hair) are also applying it the next morning after applying Knot Today and "stretching" their hair in plaits overnight. What do you guys think of this stretching technique before KCCC on 4b or 4c hair? I was thinking that maybe blowing drying your hair with knot today and a heat protectant would give you a bigger stretch that just braiding your hair in plaits and letting it dry overnight. Please advise.

RubyWoo

I agree with lexi. Just try it as instructed on the bottle/jar before adding anything extra. Everyone's experience is not the same that's why I strongly suggest you try it out as instructed first. I use just leave in conditioner(Abba pure gentle leave-in) and apply kccc in sections and I worked beautifully for me. My coils were really defined and my hair was nice and soft. A little goes a long way. I love kccc! The great thing about kccc is that the ingredients are awesome and contribute to keeping your hair moist. That's another reason why I don't see the need to add additional product. I maintain by just fluffing and spritzing with water. Good luck!

Last edited:

RubyWoo

So I've been watching several yt videos and I see some women applying this in the shower (with lots of water) and at their bathroom sinks (with much less water or completely "dry"). The ones who are applying KCCC at the bathroom sink (especially the ones with 4b or 4c hair) are also applying it the next morning after applying Knot Today and "stretching" their hair in plaits overnight. What do you guys think of this stretching technique before KCCC on 4b or 4c hair? I was thinking that maybe blowing drying your hair with knot today and a heat protectant would give you a bigger stretch that just braiding your hair in plaits and letting it dry overnight. Please advise.

I think it's a complete waste of time to blow dry or stretch your hair before using it. Your hair is going to shrink; as it should if you want curl definition. You're supposed to apply KCCC on soaking wet hair. Are you trying to acheive the 'wash and go look'?

When I use it the first time/day, I don't don't reapply any product. There's no need. I could easily maintain the look for a week. The hold is very good and helps maintain moisture in my hair!

Hair_Goddess

I think it's a complete waste of time to blow dry or stretch your hair before using it. Your hair is going to shrink; as it should if you want curl definition. You're supposed to apply KCCC on soaking wet hair. Are you trying to acheive the 'wash and go look'?

When I use it the first time/day, I don't don't reapply any product. There's no need. I could easily maintain the look for a week. The hold is very good and helps maintain moisture in my hair!

I think I want that "jheri curl" look. Something nice and shiny and sleek with great curl definition.

AHeadOfCoils

Feel free to shoot me if I am wrong but with 4b or 4c hair, I wouldn't expect KCCC to define imaginary curls. I have seen numerous videos with 4b ladies stating that using curl defining products is pointless since they have compacted kinks/coils that don't get defined at all products or no products.

sistawithsumthin

Feel free to shoot me if I am wrong but with 4b or 4c hair, I wouldn't expect KCCC to define imaginary curls. I have seen numerous videos with 4b ladies stating that using curl defining products is pointless since they have compacted kinks/coils that don't get defined at all products or no products.

My hair seems to get more curly the more I use it. I really don't think it is the KCCC though. Just the fact that i am not picking and combing the curl/wave pattern out.

I found KCCC works best using it exactly the way she says.

Sunnygirl once stretched my hair out after with a diffuser on two day old hair and didnt lose any definition.

It has plenty of shine alone but once I used some silicon mix polisher it was almost blinding!

Hair_Goddess

:lachen:LOL - no won't shoot you Skys but you're right. KCCC (or any hair gel) will only bring out a person's natural curl pattern, which are tight "ringlets" for most 4bs and 4cs. This is why Sabino is recommending that we twist our hair after we apply the hair gel and either dry it under a dryer/with a difusser or let the twists air dry. This is also why most 4b/cs try to stretch their hair out with plaits or hair dryers.

I just got a response from Sabino about using KCCC with his product and he's against it. He says KCCC is overpriced and that there are cheaper and better gels out there that will work fine with L&B (maybe Eco Styler Gel is better??). I've attached his full reply to this post.

Attachments

• L&B and KCCC.doc
    27 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Zaz

I :love: Kinky Curly's Curling Custard and the Knot today. I use them together because I had read on the board that it works best that way. That's how I tried it the first time and it worked great so I figure I won't rock the boat. I could be wrong but I think the custard works best with a leave in that's silicone and mineral oil free so it could work as well with Giovanni direct and some people like Elucence MB conditioner.

I don't them use with any oils, activator gel, serums... I just wash, apply the leave in and then the gel. I've heard it can make your hair crunchy but that's never happened for me.

It gave me springy coils that lasted 5 days, at night I sleep with a satin bonnet, in the morning I shake my head and I'm ready to go.
HTH :yep:

Hair_Goddess

I :love: Kinky Curly's Curling Custard and the Knot today. I use them together because I had read on the board that it works best that way. That's how I tried it the first time and it worked great so I figure I won't rock the boat. I could be wrong but I think the custard works best with a leave in that's silicone and mineral oil free so it could work as well with Giovanni direct and some people like Elucence MB conditioner.

I don't them use with any oils, activator gel, serums... I just wash, apply the leave in and then the gel. I've heard it can make your hair crunchy but that's never happened for me.

It gave me springy coils that lasted 5 days, at night I sleep with a satin bonnet, in the morning I shake my head and I'm ready to go.
HTH :yep:

What's your hair type Zaz??

Zaz

What's your hair type Zaz??

Not sure about the hair type thing, I heard the difference between a&b is coil size. My hair is pretty uniformly coiled throughout but with very tiny coils, I just say I'm a type 4.

Last edited:

Hair_Goddess

Not sure about the hair type thing, I heard the difference between a&b is coil size. My hair is pretty uniformly coiled throughout but with very tiny coils, I just say I'm a type 4.

Coil size decreases and the letters increase. I'll guess that you're a 4c since your coil size is very small/tight.

Last edited:

afrikurl

In response to #6 I use long aid curl activator gel and eco styler on dry hair. It gives me a look similar to those that I see on YT about KCCC. I 've never used the real thing. It gets smashed under my bonnet at night but I re wet it in the shower and shake it arounda little bit

edwu19

hi all,

i've used kccc off and on. once i figured out how much to use on my hair, i got great lasting curl definition.

HOWEVER, my forehead would start breaking out in tiny tiny pimples. i'm allergic to something in it. so i just let the kccc go. the hair was cute but the pimples were ugly. :(

did this happen to anyone else?

- e

2sweetnsugarland

I know I'm late on this thread but I see in your response that you use 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon of KCCC on your hair. Do you mean that you use this amount on EACH section or is this for your entire head? Did you use or leave in the KCKT or did you rinse the conditioner out? I do love KCCC but I didn't get good results each time so I got tired of using it. HELP!:perplexed