Rant: Youtube Guru's long hair makes people question race

VivaMac

The only way to stop the idea that only black people who are of mixed descent can have long hair or if you are mixed all the credit for your healthy mane should go to your heritage is to just keep teaching people who are willing to learn the right way to do their hair. Eventually, the more black women who grow healthy heads of hair, the faster race will become a non-factor in the speed of growth and amount of retention.

You don't ever see spanish, asian, middle eastern, or caucasian women saying "Oh that grl has long healthy hair because she's mixed with blahblahblah." If a white girl has chewed up hair, we say she has bad hair practices, but if a black girl has the same type of hair it's because she's a "normal" black person? That doesn't even make sense.

So keep spreading knowledge to all who will listen, ladies. When the ratio of women with unhealthy hair to women with long hair fluctuates in our favor, all these non-believers will finally give credit where credit is due. When Jillian says to Jackie on YouTube that her hair is only long because she's mixed, she'll see her sister who she knows is all black start taking jackie's advice and getting long hair too. So now what's Jillian's excuse?

Keep it growing, ladies.

I find this funny, if my sister and I see a woman of any race with beautiful healthy thick hair, we assume she has black in her family at some point. :grin: Our friends think we are nuts, because you know blacks are not known for "good hair", but we know better! :lol: Most times we are just being silly, but....

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
One of my biggest complexes as a child is that im dark and even as a teen and now an adult, while I've grown away from my insecurities of my skin color (not a lot) people always think I have some Indian or West Indian in me.

"Why can't I just be black?"

People look at the "tone" and "brightness or glow" of my skin and assume I have to be from an island because I have an island complexion. No, I'm not. Then with my hair, because its so smooth and silky, no I can't be black. Blasphemous. I've debated on going natural to show how black I am but then decided why should I conform to show the word who I really am? Someone asked me one if I'm sure if I know what I am because I can't be fully African American.

When I get married, my last name will change to a Spanish name. I'm not explaining myself to anyone because its useless and with a Spanish last name and a first name that is similar is spelling and pronunciation to a Spanish name, yeah, I'm so over it.

I refuse to raise my kids, nieces and cousins with this mentality. It has to stop somewhere.

Sent from my Gramatically Incorrect iPhone

Amarilles

I think good hair is hair whose properties are conducive for length retention. Coarse, resistant, thick hair, normal porosity, high density...that's a good head of hair no matter the race.

I also believe that depending on how tight our coils are, our hair can be more or less low maintenance or more or less high maintenance. Kinda like how some of us have slower metabolisms and need to do more to keep in shape, really tight curls call for a little more care and maintenance. The hair will grow no matter the head, the issue always lies in retention.

nativequeen

I think that people just respond that way because they don't often see regular black girls with long hair. The best "revenge" is for it (black ladies with long hair) to become so common place that it becomes the norm.
This is something we have to "show" them, not "tell" them.
Whether we admit it or not it hasn't become the norm....yet.
But I know that's gonna change,soon.
My 2 cents.

Vintagecoilylocks

When I had short hair that " would not grow" and expressed the desire to have long hair people of color(even people of color from other countries) told me that black people's hair does not grow. When I finally found the secret to longer hair and grew it long then people said " Oh its because you are mixed". :nono: I want to know why they did not tell me that before. Its because they are ignorant as to why anybody has long hair. :yep: