Re-relaxing underprocessed hair

beana3

I usually like to go for a "mild" underprocess (meaning I intentially keep a good amount of elasticity in my hair). I used motions oil mild last time and it did nothing!! i was fine for one week and then when i washed my hair it looked like i didn't even put the relaxer in. I would hate to think i put a harsh chemical in my hair for no reason.... anyways, i'm scared to go over it again, in fear that it will break.
I haven't relaxed since october, do you think it would be fine to go over it again? I was thinking to leave it on for 5-10 mins before neutralizing, does this sound safe??
Also, if anyone has used lye affirm and motions can you compare the two relaxers?
Thanks

LondonDiva

Hey hair twin!!!

So Motions did nothing for you either huh?
Well I have used Affirm lye to go over it and had no problem at all. I think it's best to use your own judgement when going over under processed relaxed hair. It's one thing for me to say yes it's ok because it was fine on my hair but it could be a different matter on yours. If you do it and once you do it make sure you do a protein conditioner after to give it a bit of stregth and of course keep it in tip top condition.

beana3

londondiva (I'm over here smiling like a dork because i finally have a hair twin /images/graemlins/grin.gif) When you say follow with a protein condit, do you mean in the same day or the next wash??? I assume you're speaking of a milder proetin like Motions CPR or something, or are you thinking of something more like aphogee?>??.
Oh and my motions oil relaxer fiasco was the last straw in my moions relaxer trial. I used the regular motions relaxer in mild strength for about 1 year and never really had problems with it, but of course my curiousity got to me and i decided to try the oil version.This was a step back, and now i wouldn't use it again unless i HAD to. I just wanted a better realxer. i'll give the affirm a try though, i've been wanting to try it since the summer.
thanks again!

Kitkat

Beana, your Motions Oil story sounds like mine. I just relaxed with Motions Oil before the Christmas holidays. My roots already feel grown out. I used Affirm lye before, and I love it. I went for 6 weeks before needing a retouch. I think it's much better than Motions.

I would be reluctant to put another relaxer in my hair so quickly. You might wind up overprocessing your hair which could cause it to thin and break. Just work with your new growth and relax again at your appointed time. This is just my opinion. /images/graemlins/computer.gif

LondonDiva

I would do the protein conditioner on the same day or perhaps the next wash whichever is convinient for you. I try (if not too tired after the relaxer process and all the washing conditioning etc) to protein conditioner on the same day as a relaxer. I prefer the Affirm relaxer along with the Motions CPR P.conditoner. The Aphogee is good too, just having to follow it up with the moisturising conditoner makes me wanna /images/graemlins/sleeping.gif

Beana3,

I agree with LondonDiva..you know your hair..and know what it can take in terms of chemicals. I have a THICK head of hair and a lot of it. I recently started going to a salon to get my touchups and the stylist reccomended that next time I go in that the relaxer be pulled through the length of my hair. The reason is that I had been relaxing it myself..with every relaxer under the sun it seems (Motions, Revlon, Terxtures and Tones)..but I could never smooth it enough to get it the way I wanted it. So I gave up and let a "professional" do it..and it turned out beautiful (Affirm lye was used)..except for the fact that the roots were straight and the rest was kinda straight but noticeably less so than the roots..so I had triangle hair syndrome.To prep my hair for the relaxer I have been doing conditioning and protein treatments, keeping it well mousturized.

Hi Beana

I think something similar happened to me. After going to Joseph's salon on Nov 21st, I noticed that a week later, I felt regrowth in the back which I normally wouldn't. They used (or they said they used) Affirm Mild which normally is perfect on me. I usually do touch ups every other month.

After a month I went to see two stylists who've relaxed me before and they both agreed that the relaxer 'didn't take' or wasn't done properly. I've chose to wait till my normal next touch up time to avoid the possibility of overprocessing. But like was said to you before, its up to you to decide what you feel your hair can/can't take.

beana3

thanks brownrelaxed..... i'm thinking of going over the underprocessed part in late february or (if my hair can take it) late april.
As long as i dont experience breakage b/w the 2 textures i'll be fine. (i'm wearing a braid out bun to minimize styling). I was also thinking of getting one of those relaxing balms in the meantime.

Yeah, I decided to wait it out too and am waiting to get a re-touch any day now.

To minimize styling and handling with the 2 hair textures, I've been airdrying and just pinning the hair up. Not very exciting but it should be the safer route for now. Do the occasional protein treatment too to hopefully fend off breakage. Good luck! I know how difficult it is handling re-growth. I've been wearing a hat every day now when I'm out lol!!! /images/graemlins/sekret.gif

beana3

BRH: how would you describe your hair texture??? (3c ,4a etc.) your hair looks a lot like mine when i used to get it done at dominican salons a few years ago. Istopped because i had a major diaster that i'm still recovering from, plus i like doing my own hair anyway.
Oh and where do you get your Affrim Lye from??? I keep seeing the no-lye version. how much do you usually pay for it?? thanks

UmSumayyah

Beana, what ever happened with this? sorry if I missed the post where you already updated us on the situation.

elliot

I just read this thread for the first time and realized that I am not alone. I got my hair relaxed with Motions last week and it came out underprocessed. I am going to wait at least another month before I try to go over it again. Hopefully by then I will have enough new growth so that I will not feel too bad about it.

carmella25

I used motions regular relaxer and this happend to me. So I deep condtioned my hair after and re applied it again it came out a little smoother . But it still didnt get it that straight. So I deep conditioned my hair again the added my mixture of infusium and glycerin then I added my other mixture of activator aloe vera juice and braid spray and then I added my conditioner mixed with glycerin and then I sealed my ends. Come to find out I havent had any breakage from doing this and my hair is fine. Thank god. Sorry its so long

beana3

I'm still underprocessed, but not as badly. I went over my underprocess with motions mild (w/o oil version) and it straightened most of my hair out well. I did this after 4 weeks... After careful review i think the motions mild was ok this time, i'll use the rest up (2 apps) but I'm NEVER going to get another motions relaxer again!!! I'll be reading LD's relaxer review post for some ideas.
My hair still has a lot of shrinkage when wet, but i'm not experiencing any "problems" thus far. Heat makes the textures uniform. I'll definetely have to swallow my pride and let my mom or a professional apply my next relaxer.. I think some of my problems come from me missing some spots. So far so good, I'll be c/o washing for 2 months and i'm scheduled for another relaxer the 3rd week of may.