Ready to give up

Sister Curl

I have been trying to grow my hair seriously since June 2009. I have only used heat once to check the progress. My hair felt great after the June relaxer. I relaxed after 8 weeks, then after 9. I am now in a stretch (week 9, trying for 12). The problem is my hair looks like crap to me.

Routine
Wash Saturday with Aquage shampoo (no sulfates)
DC with Cholestrol/olive oil combo under dryer about 20 minutes
PC final rinse
Roller set, hood dry, leave-in for moisturizer and EVOO to seal
Castor oil w/ few drops of peppermint oil for end, edges, and nape

Co-wash Wednesday with any non protein conditioner
DC with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration moisturizing conditioner under dryer about 20 minutes
PC final rinse

Any suggestions? I plan to post pics after December retouch.

Last edited:

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Don't give up. Sometimes the progress takes awhile to appear. Just keep doing right by your hair. Co-washing does not work for everyone, and may be causing to much manipulation. The only thing I see missing in your reggie is moisturizer. Yes water is a moisturizer, but since you are relaxed you need more moisture than what you are receiving on wash day.

200AndOne

Your regimen looks pretty good to me. The only things I could say would be that perhaps you should experiment with some different deep conditioners? For me, Cholesterol serves a purpose, but it doesn't really give my hair that good, really moisturized, conditioned feeling. Also, I don't know if using PC 2x/week is really necessary?? I'm sure the other ladies will chime in as well. Good Luck!

teysmith

girl, i feel ya.. I started in june also and so far...nothing..
I got a little growth but nothing serious:nono:
sometimes I feel like giving up too..
I just posted a new thread a few minutes ago showing my itty bitty stupid little progress..when I look at the pics I'm like wth??? suck big time my friend sucks big time...but I say dont give up yet..give a try. maybe we are doing something wrong..I must say that over the past few months my hair is a tad bit healthier..actually its alot healthier:yep: I guess thats a good thing...:)

spinspinshuga

You say your hair isn't looking so great, so can you describe how it looks? Is it stringy or anything? Perhaps you're using too much oil. Sealing personally didn't work for me and made my hair look terribly stringy. Since you're DCing and sealing with EVOO, then adding Castor oil on top of it, maybe that is too mucH?

Esq.2B

Maybe you should try switching your products.

What are you using as a leave-in?

Is the Hello Hydration an actual DC? I thought it was a rinse out conditioner?

Are you sure the cholesterol agrees with your hair?

Are you relaxing with lye or no-lye?

Sister Curl

No, I do not have pictures yet. I initially did not intend to join the LHCF. The rollerset looks good the first 3 weeks or so after the touch up but then my hair gets puffy and dry looking. I really do some growth but I have a difficult time with styling. It does not look straight or shiny. I am 4a-b. My natural hair looks like a ball of cotton, but not curly at all.

I will not give up. I guess I am just frustrated. I will keep trying. Any suggestions for a daily moisturizer?

Sister Curl

Maybe you should try switching your products.

What are you using as a leave-in?

Is the Hello Hydration an actual DC? I thought it was a rinse out conditioner?

Are you sure the cholesterol agrees with your hair?

Are you relaxing with lye or no-lye?

My leave in is Aphogee pro vitamin leave-in

What do you suggest as a moisture DC?

I used Cholestrol from the beginning and it was not a problem. How can I tell?

I have a lye relaxer.

Thanks!

Esq.2B

My leave in is Aphogee pro vitamin leave-in

What do you suggest as a moisture DC?

I used Cholestrol from the beginning and it was not a problem. How can I tell?

I have a lye relaxer.

Thanks!

For a good moisturizing DC I'd recommend Silk Elements Megasilk Moisuturizing Treatment (found in Sally's), or ORS Replenishing Pak.

I'm not sure how you can tell if the Cholesterol is good for you. For me, I can tell my hair doesn't like it too much because it's not as soft, moisturized, or manageable as when I use other moisturizing DCs. Even the detangling process is more difficult when I use Cholesterols.

Is the Aphogee leave-in moisturizing?

Also, do you have a protein product that you're using in your regimen, like a reconstructor or a hard protein?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Also, how often are you washing & dc'ing? Ummm moisturizers-welp there are a lot that people use, some work others don't. But readily available are Neutrogena silk touch, Elasta QP mango butter or H2O spray, Nexus Humectin (which my work well since it contains ceramides and can also be your DC), giovanni direct leave in. But try not to get overwhelmed with the products. I think Spin said oil on top oil- may be too much, also.

dachsies_rule!

No, I do not have pictures yet. I initially did not intend to join the LHCF. The rollerset looks good the first 3 weeks or so after the touch up but then my hair gets puffy and dry looking. I really do some growth but I have a difficult time with styling. It does not look straight or shiny. I am 4a-b. My natural hair looks like a ball of cotton, but not curly at all.

I will not give up. I guess I am just frustrated. I will keep trying. Any suggestions for a daily moisturizer?

I'm 4b/z relaxed with course hair and Mizani Butter Rich Hairdress works well for me.

Sister Curl

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will change deep conditioners and see what I get. By the way, I use Aphogee protein 1 week before touch-ups and the reconstructer at the next two washes.

I hope I find something that works to my satisfaction soon. I refuse to believe that my hair will not stay smooth without direct heat.

I will keep trying
I will keep trying!

MrsSmitty77

I would agree with the ladies that have stated trying different conditioners. My hair hates Cholestrol so I don't use it anymore. Don't stick with something because it worked elsewhere or because you paid for it. Sometimes we have to cut our loses for something hopefully better. Keep going..

Thann

My personal suggestion would be to cut out or down on the amount of oil in your reggie. This was one of my biggest problems as a newbie and I didn't even realize that my hair didn't like it until I made the move to use serums instead.

Aphogee Pro Vit Leave-in is actual protien based so I would suggest using a moisturizer like NTM or Redken ButterTreat afterwards. I use Aphogee Pro Vit myself, but follow up with NTM and then a serum. HTH.

30something

I agree with Thann, but I can only speak from personal experience.. but too much oils don't agree with me. I first try cutting back on the amount of oil I would apply.. then I cut back to only using it to seal.. then I cut back how much I would have to us seal with. Then eventually i just cut it out entirely. Eventually I came back to oil, but I learn I can only seal with very little.

Question: How often do you clarify?

simcha

I would suggest would the others have suggested - switch your deep conditioner (I like Mixed Chicks) and cut back on the oils. One thing I might add is a serum like Chi Silk Infusion to roller set your hair with.

Oh and you might try a lighter oil like Argan Oil or coconut oil. I found that castor oil and olive oil don't really work on my hair.

Don't give up.

HTH

SimpleKomplexity

Your reggie sounds pretty good. Only thing I would add is that I only use a nickel amount of oil in my hair. Any more makes my hair just......dead and lifeless.

melodies815

Co signing on cutting back on oil to see if that helps....my personal experience as well was that it dried out my hair. Only Castor oil seems to work well for me.

Just curious: How long do you leave in your PC? If you only used it once a week instead of twice, might that help?

I have heard that too much PC can cause problems too. I did it twice in one week and had the driest hair in the back for a couple of weeks. Only shea butter saved my hair from going into a setback. Now, I only PC about once a month. Anyone else have that experience?

I hope this helps. Don't give up! LHCF women are here for you!!!

Blessings
cj

whitedaisez

I have been trying to grow my hair seriously since June 2009. I have only used heat once to check the progress. My hair felt great after the June relaxer. I relaxed after 8 weeks, then after 9. I am now in a stretch (week 9, trying for 12). The problem is my hair looks like crap to me.

Routine
Wash Saturday with Aquage shampoo (no sulfates)
DC with Cholestrol/olive oil combo under dryer about 20 minutes
PC final rinse

Co-wash Wednesday with any non protein conditioner
DC with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration moisturizing conditioner under dryer about 20 minutes
PC final rinse

Any suggestions? I plan to post pics after December retouch.

Dont give-up, ur journey is still VERY early. It took me a year AND A HALF to see any kind of change. So, u need PATIENCE, thats the number one rule in healthy hair care. Good luck.

mstar

Luxury bacon
Your reggie sounds really strict...have you experimented with different products? I don't think you can expect your hair to always want Cholesterol or Hello Hydration--as a matter of fact, your hair might not like those products at all!

I would experiment with more products. When you find the ones that are right for you, your hair will look and feel fantastic, and you'll KNOW that it is a staple product for you. You might also want to experiment with your oils and butters. For example, I don't ever mix olive oil into my Dcs because my hair doesn't like it...I use castor, avocado, and jojoba instead.

Also, a daily water-based moisturizer will work wonders.