Recovering from Heat Damage... While Still Using Heat (Desperate)

goldenslumbers

Also, I wasn't looking to get a weave made for white women? I also was unaware there were white women weaves... Also it's just the neighborhood I'm in that's pretty white. There are a good deal of black communities and salons theyre just 15+ minutes away.

Evolving78

girl for the next month, just wash deep condition once a week, and co wash once a week. moisturize and seal and rock your bun. get a nice curling cream if you wanna wear your hair down. that's it. and all you need is 5-6 products: shampoo, deep conditioner, rinse out conditioner, leave-in, moisturizer and oil. a light reconstructor monthly may help. you don't need to do nothing else. give it a month and your hair will bounce back. i'm glad you posted pics! that helped me out a lot!

koolkittychick

Oh... I was unaware that it would be so damaging. Yes, my mother is black. Why is it such a bad idea? And do you mind telling how it needs to be maintained so it IS a protective style?

I'm aware of the priceof human hair. Isnt the higher quality (higher price) hair able to be re-applied up to two or three times? I'm probably wrong

There goes my dream of ever having attractive hair I guess.
It is a bad idea because you stated yourself that you have a hard time being diligent and consistent with maintaining a regimen, especially one that involves a lot of work and will yield results slowly over time. Wearing a weave is one of these regimens. It is A LOT OF WORK to wear one and still take care of your hair underneath, especially if you get one that is sewn in. Many women do not, and then you see the results of that in the link I posted. It is also EXPENSIVE because for it to be a protective style, you must have it taken out and redone every 6 to 8 weeks, with a 1 to 2 week break in between to give your real hair a rest, in order for you to use it successfully as a protective style. Lastly, the prices I gave you were for a quality, convincing weave done with quality hair by a good weavologist. You can get a weave done for less, but I don't think you would be happy with the results, and you most likely would not be able to pull of the kind off the 60s-inspired styles you would like to wear. :ohwell:

Last edited:

koolkittychick

girl for the next month, just wash deep condition once a week, and co wash once a week. moisturize and seal and rock your bun. get a nice curling cream if you wanna wear your hair down. that's it. and all you need is 5-6 products: shampoo, deep conditioner, rinse out conditioner, leave-in, moisturizer and oil. a light reconstructor monthly may help. you don't need to do nothing else. give it a month and your hair will bounce back. i'm glad you posted pics! that helped me out a lot!
What she said most definitely.

koolkittychick

Also, I wasn't looking to get a weave made for white women? I also was unaware there were white women weaves... Also it's just the neighborhood I'm in that's pretty white. There are a good deal of black communities and salons theyre just 15+ minutes away.
Yes, women of all races wear weave, it's just that the methods developed for non-Black women are very different than the ones we use--or rather, they work better for straight hair types than curly/kinky hair types, and would basically tear our hair out.

That's a good thing that you have those resources so close by; it sounded like they were vary far away when you had mentioned it before. You really need to make an appointment with a salon that services both Black and non-Black clients--and has a good reputation for both--as they would be better able to assess your hair's situation and what it needs right now than a bunch women on a hair board who, although are well-meaning and trying to be helpful, cannot tell you what is best for your hair based on a couple of pictures.

hair4today

goldenslumbers, I have been following this thread but didn't have much else to share since I believe you were getting excellent advice. I sense you are getting frustrated because you're not seeing the improvements you're looking for with your hair as quickly as you'd like. I echo what shortdub78 just posted. You really need to do those simple steps and your hair will recover. Remember it took years to destroy your hair so don't expect it to bounce back with a few washes. Time, consistency and patience ( and quality products) is ALL you need. In about six months of consistent healthy hair practices you'll see a turnaround. Trust! Also check out the 2 Komaza Hair Analysis threads especially the one by virtuenow for a ton of good advice on what it takes to keep your hair healthy and strong. Good luck...we're all here cheering you on.:yep:

goldenslumbers

Oh, I didn't want it to appear that I was impatient. I know its going to take a very long time for my hair to regain its strength and I'm not expecting anything big to happen anytime soon at all.

To be honest I was more interested in the weave for aesthetic reasons. It having the potential at least of being a protective style made it sound even better to me.

As said, I'm pretty obsessed with my hair and I'll do whatever steps I have to to make it look good. Even though I'm not good with keeping on regimens in general, I haven't even had a hair related regimen until two or three weeks ago.

My mom called up a place that isn't exactly an african american salon, but apparently they do have a guy there that deals with "ethnic customers" and weaves. He was recommended to us.

This is off-topic now, but any idea what may be causing the excessive shedding I'm getting?

Last edited:

Evolving78

Oh, I didn't want it to appear that I was impatient. I know its going to take a very long time for my hair to regain its strength and I'm not expecting anything big to happen anytime soon at all.

To be honest I was more interested in the weave for aesthetic reasons. It having the potential at least of being a protective style made it sound even better to me.

As said, I'm pretty obsessed with my hair and I'll do whatever steps I have to to make it look good. Even though I'm not good with keeping on regimens in general, I haven't even had a hair related regimen until two or three weeks ago.

My mom called up a place that isn't exactly an african american salon, but apparently they do have a guy there that deals with "ethnic customers" and weaves. He was recommended to us.

This is off-topic now, but any idea what may be causing the excessive shedding I'm getting?

that's not excessive at all and it should be a lot more. so that's a good thing. i am going through postpartum shedding and every time i touch my hair, a handful comes out!

i say, get your reggie in order first. getting and maintain your hair under a weave is a different monster! i mean, you want to learn your hair and what it requires first.

also, if you have it in your area, tresemme's natural moisturizing conditioner is great for cowashing.

so1913

You are waaaay to young to even know who this person is, but this information is timeless and the pretty much the foundation many of the ideas surrounding the idea of protective styling. I call this "Mandatory reading" for someone in your shoes or anyone embarking on a healthy hair journey. I was between 16-18 when this information came out and it changed how I handled my hair going forward for life. Good luck! Keep it simple and stick to the basics and you will see your hair turnaround in months to come.

Wanakee's emotional guide to hair:
http://www.longhairdontcare.net/lon...11/wanakees-emotional-guide-to-hair-care.html

Wanakee's Practical Guide to hair:
http://www.longhairdontcare.net/lon...20090628-muftz/2009/03/wanakee-hair.html#more

Wanakee Brochure:
http://www.longhairdontcare.net/files/because-you-are-serious-about-your-hair.pdf

ETA: you can substitute the products mentioned with your own favorites and focus on the methods, that's most important.

Last edited:

hair4today

Good to know you are willing to invest in the care required to nurse your hair back. With this weave thing, it just seemed to me you that u were hopping from idea to idea. Personally I think weaves are the debil...especially in the wrong hands. It's truly for someone experienced in good haircare practices. Now if you can get an appointment with a stylist as knowledgeable in the technique as Reniese (they're a bunch of threads on the board about her ) then maybe consider getting one done. If you're hell bent on getting a weave, be sure to do a ton of references on the stylist.

As for the shedding, I honestly think its breakage, not shedding you're experiencing. With the heat damage, your hair likely has weak spots along the strands and is prone to breakage when handled. Doesn't take much for weakened strands to break. Until you get your moisture/protein balance in check, I think you'll continue to experience some breakage...I know this happened with my hair.

goldenslumbers

Okay, thanks for the responses.

However, something isn't right. I shampooed (moisturized) my hair, then deep conditioned with the moisturizing conditioner. During the process, an immense amount of hair came out. Nothing like I've ever seen before. I assumed my hair needed more moisture because for the past week my strands have been breaking immediately with a strand test, which doesnt make any sense to me because I've washed with moisture shampoo and DC'd with moisture conditioner twice, and co-washed with moisture conditioner three times in the past two weeks. Yet, it still breaks.

Searching for a solution to the issue, I applied the Nexxus Emergencee. It's been about a month since I've done it. This time I definitely followed with a lot of moisture, and my hair feels stronger (still a ton of hair is falling out. There are clumps in the bathtub). Hopefully my hair will stop falling out now... At this moment I'm just confused at where my moisture/protein balance is.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
do a protein treatment again.....

when my hair is damaged i need hard protein at least 2x a month.

then leave your hair alone for a few days. put it up in a bun and don't mess with it.

also, make sure you are taking a multi vitamin and drinking lots of water so your hair can use the nutrients to repair the damage.

hair4today

goldenslumbers, your hair needs keratin protein when it's damaged to patch up the gaps and cracks in the cuticle. For severely damaged hair, the recommendation is typically weekly keratin based protein treatments followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner until the breakages is under control. You then move to maintenance of monthly protein treatments once your hair has stabilized. Here is the Komaza thread I mentioned...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329.
Those who did the analysis and had damaged hair was given that recommendation and it has worked well. Btw, you may want to consider gettin an analysis done so that you can get a treatment plan customized to your hair's unique needs.

Last edited:

goldenslumbers

goldenslumbers, your hair needs keratin protein when it's damaged to patch up the gaps and cracks in the cuticle. For severely damaged hair, the recommendation is typically weekly keratin based protein treatments followed by a moisturizing deep conditioner until the breakages is under control. You then move to maintenance of monthly protein treatments once your hair has stabilized. Here is the Komaza thread I mentioned...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=626329.
Those who did the analysis and had damaged hair was given that recommendation and it has worked well. Btw, you may want to consider gettin an analysis done so that you can get a treatment plan customized to your hair's unique needs.

Thank you. I've been gone for a while but after you posted this I went ahead and applied some Nexxus Emergencee again, but only got the same results (shedding, shedding,, breakage, shedding). I think my hair just doesn't react well to being wet at all. If my mother isn't tired of me asking for hair things I will definitely 100% try that hair analysis.

Anyways, a bit of an update. Three weeks ago I got a weave put in. I was really tired of trying to manage my curly hair, and was way too uncomfortable and frustrated leaving the house. I found a local girl to do it for $80. The hair is very nice quality. Since it's my first sew-in I'm not sure how well it was done. I mean cosmetically. The braids are not tight at all (in fact they're pretty loose), she left out my baby curls which have been growing into my face now, and she sewed it onto a net. I plan to take it out in maybe two weeks or less. It's a little less manageable than I expected but again, my first time with it so I didn't know exactly what to expect. I'm still way more comfortable going out with this weave in and I feel better about myself. I also get to have bangs for a little bit which makes me happy...

Anyways I have another separate problem. But I'll save that for another thread.

drappedup

Wow, reading this thread I semi see some of my younger self in goldenslumbers. I totally get the frustration and annoyance when learning to deal with your natural curls. We also have similar texture.

I am someone who has had to learn the hard way....literally, lol. I had always had my mother/sister/stylist handle my hair almost completely up until I was about 18/19....I had no clue how to do my own hair. I joined the military, and realized I had no knowledge on how to do pretty much anything other than a basic ponytail, bun, flat iron, and curl with curling iron. I am so serious. I have extremely thick hair, and at the time it was BSL. So it was a huge wake up call to wtf I was going to do with all that freaking hair. I'll never forget the first time I washed, conditioned, air dried my own hair....I looked in the mirror in horror at the thick frizzy mess.....I had no idea where to even begin. :lol:

I ended up with major breakage because of the constant trauma on my hair, I also wasn't using the right products, and I was bunning in the same location every day. I ended up having my hair cut to just longer than bob, but hated it. Short hair and curly/kinky hair was never an interest to me, ever....I always had my hair fairly straight since I was a kid....and I felt it suited me best. Anyway, I ended up going the sew in weave tracks route for the first time out of frustration and yearning to have longer hair again. That didn't end well for me, because eventually having a bad quality stylist and poor management on my end caught up with me....I ended up with even more major breakage issues. That when I realized I was going to have to learn to do my hair on my own. So it has been a journey of trial and error ever since. It took me a long time to correct my breakage issue, but I am pleased to say I did it....and though I am only APL....I have come to really like my natural curls....

Anyway, I say all of this to say.....I totally "get" much of what you say and how you feel. But with time and T.L.C. on your hair, you will come to appreciate it....maybe even like it. I never thought I would, but here I am feeling exact opposite of how I used to feel. I have read this entire thread, and you have been given some seriously solid advice. I know it's been months since you posted, but I thought I would add my 2 cents since reading this thread hit a little close to home. Good luck!

Last edited:

goldenslumbers

goldenslumbers any updates on your hair?

Since my last post I have cut my hair to right above shoulder length (three months ago) and have had two more sew-ins. I just got the last one taken out a month ago. My hair grew like nuts after getting cut several months ago. When I took the last install out my hair was below shoulder length, had zero split ends, and looked thick and healthy. Absolutely zero shedding as well.

I've adjusted my taste so I care less about having my hair completely straight, but I still am trying to find ways to have smooth curls. I guess I just have to improve my roller setting skills.

I went back to the salon two weeks ago to get my hair deep-conditioned and roller set. Well, I don't know where exactly the stylist went wrong, but now my hair is even worse than it was when I was putting heat on it constantly. It feels like hay, is breaking into little pieces, and every hair just about has a split end.

Now I'm attempting to find a moisturizer and sealant that works for me so I can at least make an attempt to repair the dryness I'm experiencing. Every moisturizer I have tried so far has been too heavy for my hair or makes it crunchy. Same with sealants. Any recommendations for moisturizer/sealant for type 3A and 3B hair with fine strands?

I was planning on cutting my hair short, so that will take care of the split ends but I want to figure out a solution for moisture.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
As noted in another thread, I'm 16 and I've lost a considerable amount of hair due to flat-ironing. I used to have past waist-length hair that was thicker than anything (My hair is kind of 3B/3C). 3 years ago or so, I trimmed it to mid chest length and started flat-ironing it more often. It hasn't grown back since, and in fact, it's shorter (A little past shoulder length now).

I can obviously root it back to several things. My memory is a bit fuzzy so these may be out of order. My mom put a generic relaxer in my hair. She followed the instructions very carefully, but shortly afterwards my hair started to fall out a bit. Not colossal amounts, but noticeable. I started brushing my hair out multiple times in the bath. For some reason or another 12 year old me thought that it was good to do that... I flat ironed my hair twice a week with zero heat protection at 400 degrees. Yeah. Again, pre-teen me saw no purpose in heat protection. Also, some time in between, I got a Brazilian Blowout on my hair. I honestly cannot remember at all whether it was beneficial or not, but I DO remember I loved what it did to my hair and it was $600...

So, now I have close to no hair. I even have some bald spots here and there. Almost every hair is split at the end or all the way up the shaft. My mother gave me a trim this weekend, but since my hair is so incredibly uneven in length, there are still split ends everywhere.

Of course now I am definitely seeing my faults, and I've started changing some things (some parts I started at the beginning of the year, some beginning of April)

-Eating a healthier diet- all organic, more protein
-Taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin, Probiotics, 6g of Chlorella, and Silica Bamboo Tea
-Straightening my hair ONLY ONCE a week at 350 degrees using heat protection
-Deep Conditioning my hair every wash day for 2-3 hours
-Drinking more water. I used to drink NO water at all

However, now the school year is over for me and I'm trying to not straighten at all this whole summer. I did, however, straighten it this last weekend so my mother could attempt to trim it. Despite my efforts, it looked thinner than before and was very hard to straighten due to the various wacky lengths. I did order some Nexxus Emergencee Treatment to use on my hair, and I'm also planning to use QOD Max Organiq later in the summer in an effort to repair my hair.

So, now I'm desperate. For now (the summer) I won't be using heat except for some of the protein treatments I plan on using, but I'll be back to it again in August, and I'm feeling discouraged after this past weekend.

My big question is- What was the big thing for you that boosted your hair growth and kept it strong, even while using heat on it? What else should I add to my hair regimen?

Yes, I've searched the forums but the amount of info is so overwhelming! Everyone has so many different and complicated methods. What's the key? Smoothies? Keratin Treatments? Cowashing? More protein? Ah!

Any advice is appreciated.

Cut the heat. That is the only way. You'll never retain length that way. You already know how much heat you've used on your hair. The major culprit that's preventing your length retention is the over use of heat. You need to find some heat free styles after cutting off those damaged ends. That might even mean a drastic haircut to start fresh.

mrsrivers

This thread was a wake-up call for me. My hair has been suffering for the past couple years because of my incessant heat usage. And I honestly thought, okay I'll go from flat ironing 5x a week to 2x a week and that'll help. But after reading everyone's responses here, I'm now cold turkey to the direct heat.

It's only been a month, but I haven't used the flat iron once and have been deep conditioning more, using protein and I can definitely notice less shedding and breakage. Now after washing, I roller set and then wrap it. So far so good and hoping it continues... :grin:

Jace032000

goldenslumbers -- have you ever looked into having a Keratin Treatment done? The initial application is applied with heat---but afterwards you don't need to touch the flat iron for 3-months. The keratin actually will strengthen your hair. I've had a Global Keratin Treatment for about a year and a half and I standby it. My hair has dramatically improved in strength and retention. I'm wishing you the best.

Jace032000

I forgot to mention…do your homework on whatever treatment you use…there are some out there with formaldehyde and even the ones that say they don't contain it they sometimes do (like the Global Keratin Treatment)…