Regrets about BC

ceedeelight

Hi Ladies,
I'm new to LHCF. I have been transitioning for 1 year. I have been going back and forward about BC the relaxed ends and being natural. I don't think I would look nice with an twa. I have about 5-6 inches of new unrelaxed growth and b/w 4-6 inches of relaxed hair left. I wanted to know if there were any ladies who are natural and regretted doing the B/C.

hopeful

Oh you know you should probably wait until you feel a little more sure. I bc'd for the 2nd (and prayerfully) the last time in March 2006. Initially I did regret it. For a few weeks I felt very unattractive. So I kept it covered up with scarves for awhile. Are you having a hard time managing the two textures? If not maybe you can go another 6 months. The good news is that if you are in shock after the bc and/or you feel unattractive, you can always wear a wig or get a weave or braids for awhile to let it grow a little longer. Good luck.

P

patient1

I big chopped 16 years ago and never looked back BUT I don't think you should do it that way.

It's your God-given right to feel beautiful. :) So take your time. The good think about having the relaxed ends that you know you'll eventually part with is that they're a built in protective zone as you grow you hair off. Keep em until you have the length you want (even if that's a year or so from now) and then you know you can lop em off and have fresh healthy ends.

You can't lose!

p1

tyte curlz

no regrets because i had a pixie cut when my hair was relaxed so their wasnt much length to begin with. But i never whore my TWA anyway always covered in scarves i growing my hair out with braids untill i can pull all this lovely curly hair into a puff, I say wait until ur ready bc the last thing u want is for u to be unsure or regret your bc, it will be that much easier for u to revert back to a relaxer. As long as your enjoying the process than keep on transitioning some ladies go 2 years before they even think about BCing.HTH

glamazon386

No I didn't regret it. However, I do feel like my hair would be much longer now if I hadn't chopped it all off. It sounds like you're not ready. Wait it out until you're really sure. And if you don't like the TWA after you chop you can always get some braids or something until it grows out to a length you're more comfortable with. It will grow back.

meaganita

bmoreflyygirl said:
No I didn't regret it. However, I do feel like my hair would be much longer now if I hadn't chopped it all off. It sounds like you're not ready. Wait it out until you're really sure. And if you don't like the TWA after you chop you can always get some braids or something until it grows out to a length you're more comfortable with. It will grow back.

That's the beatiful thing about hair, "It'll grow back." My BC actually came as a relief because I got tired of looking at length that I knew I couldn't keep. I just got to the point where I could no longer get excited about my new growth because I knew the old growth (relaxed hair) had to go. By the time the BC was all said and done, I felt free because I knew my hair was healthy and that all the new hair I grew from that point would be mine to keep. I could finally look forward to growing my hair instead of stressing about having to cut it. By the time you're ready for the BC, you'll know it's the right thing to do.;)

ajargon02

If you aren't ready to make that bc step, then don't. It will only hurt you in the long run. You know this natural thing, is not only a physical transformation, but also a mental one. It takes a lot sometimes to hold your head up proud being a natural w/ all that people will throw at you. Like I said, if you aren't ready to do it, then don't. Good luck to you no matter what you do, know that we are here to support you.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
My original plan was to chop once I got at least 5 inches of newgrowth, but that plan fell short when I BC-ed earlier this month at about 2 inches (guesstimating). I was in complete shock, but I don't regret it one bit. I'm so happy that I went ahead and did it instead of waiting.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it just yet then don't. I knew that my head was kinda big so I didn't think I'd look right with a TWA. Now, with a little BT and a headband, my hair is doing just fine and I'm loving it. I hope that you find happiness with whichever decision you make.

And like bmoreflyygirl said, it will grow back. Mines is growing, especially with using the Boundless Tresses.

basketballbabe03

I did my BC last year and at first I regretted it because initally, I didn't know what to do with my natural hair. When I finally figured out how to deal with it, I LOVED IT. I find it easier to do my hair now as apposed to when I was relaxed. I thought that my head was going to look funny with a twa, but it grew on me.

babyblue

when i first went natural i never did the bc for that very same reason. If you're not comfortable cutting off the relaxed ends now then don't. And don't let anybody let you feel bad for not doing so either. In the meantime maybe you can try some extension braids to give your hair a rest for a few months while your hair grows out some.

ceedeelight

Thanks so much for your comments. I'll gage how it goes for another 3 months of transitioning, if I can manage I'll take it out until April 08. If not, I'll chop in July 07. LOL!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I may hold the BCing championship. I BCD 6XS and relaxed every time.:lol: I am now doing my 7th and last transition. I am hoping to finish my transition by the beginning of next year.:) You're doing great by transitioning a whole year. Keep up the good work!

gradygirl

I seriously thought about doing the Bc last night and I'm only 4 months post. I got really frustrated because it was wash night and the tangles and the 2 different textures were really starting to get the best of me; plus I was already tired before I started so it didnt take much to wear me down. The only thing that stopped me was I know my husband would have had a stroke if he woke up and all my hair was gone. I know BChopping would make things so much easier but I too would regret it so I'm going to struggle on with it and hope it gets easier at some point. Hang in there Ceedeelight we can make it :) .

Silkycoils

I just BC'd (like, last week) and although I did get "sentimental" about all of the hair that I'd worked hard to grow, I don't regret my decision one bit. I was tired of dealing with the relaxed hair, and that's how I deal with things I'm tired of/done with . . . I just make a clean break. I agree with those who say do it when you're ready, especially if you've never seen your hair that short b4 . . . it can be a shock to your system. Good luck on your journey! =)

gharp001

I had a major trim last week after 10 months of transitioning. I have about 1/2" or less of relaxed ends that I held on to, simply because I still wanted to be able to wear my hair in a pony tail from time to time. A one year transition was always my goal and I'll cut all the remaining relaxed ends in about a month. Once, the majority of the relaxed hair was gone, I knew that I had done the right thing for my hair by transitioning, and I have no regrets. Take your time and you'll be ready when the time comes to make a final decision about the BC. :)

Mystic

I did an impulsive BC - never thought about going natural until I started cutting. I believe I regretted it for a fleeting moment a couple weeks later but I love my natural hair so much, and my hope and aspirations of watching it grow from .4" to longer is so exciting. Whenever I am bored with my TWA, I wear wig. My hair has grown so much in such a short time - I can now cornrow..., yippee!! I am sporting a lacefront now (my hair is braided back underneath) and I love it!

ToyToy

I BC-ed and had half an inch left. I was lucky that it suited me, but it still took me a month to get used to the new hair. Every time I looked in the mirror, I didn't recognise myself. I think you should wait if you have doubts, so you don't regret it. But like every one has said, hair grows back, so it will be alright either way :).

mkstar826

supersonic
babyblue said:
If you're not comfortable cutting off the relaxed ends now then don't. And don't let anybody let you feel bad for not doing so either.

ITA! I didn't regret my BC, but everyone is different and what some are ready for, you may not be and that is FINE! Do it when you're 100% ready and you won't have to live with regret. Good luck! :D

chocolate01

Nope not me. I chopped at 11 months with 5-6 inches of hair and have never looked back. You will know when you ready to do it.

janeemat

gradygirl said:
I seriously thought about doing the Bc last night and I'm only 4 months post. I got really frustrated because it was wash night and the tangles and the 2 different textures were really starting to get the best of me; plus I was already tired before I started so it didnt take much to wear me down. The only thing that stopped me was I know my husband would have had a stroke if he woke up and all my hair was gone. I know BChopping would make things so much easier but I too would regret it so I'm going to struggle on with it and hope it gets easier at some point. Hang in there Ceedeelight we can make it :) .

Girl your hair is soooo pretty! I could NEVER cut all of that off.

thefineprint

i had serious issues when i big chopped - and i had about 5 inches of natural hair! as a permie my hair was always between ear to shoulder length and i had never dealt with short hair before. it did take about 2 weeks to get used to but once i did i was rocking it! with the exception of that little rocky period - i have never looked back. my advice to you is to wait until you are ready so that you will enjoy the experience even more!