regrets about BC

makeupgirl

Do anyone who decided not to do long term transition ever regret doing the BC so early? I'm having regrets and I know it's too late but I wish I had just cut the damaged ends off and treated my hair and let the natural hair grow out without the BC. I love the freedom of my short hair I'm really regretting it. Am I alone in this or does anyone else feel this way too?

Ronnieaj

I think if you're not really ready for it, or are unsure of what to do with your hair, then it can be hard. I've never worn braids, weaves, or wigs, so that wouldn't have been an option for me. I've also had my hair every length from 1 inch to APL, so I'm very accustomed to "the awkward stage", etc. Figuring out how to style the hair was my biggest problem, but that was going to be an issue whenever I decided to cut the hair off. I decided to do it sooner rather than later. So to actually answer your question, no I didn't regret doing the BC early (7 month transition), but I can understand how people do.

makeupgirl

I think if you're not really ready for it, or are unsure of what to do with your hair, then it can be hard. I've never worn braids, weaves, or wigs, so that wouldn't have been an option for me. I've also had my hair every length from 1 inch to APL, so I'm very accustomed to "the awkward stage", etc. Figuring out how to style the hair was my biggest problem, but that was going to be an issue whenever I decided to cut the hair off. I decided to do it sooner rather than later. So to actually answer your question, no I didn't regret doing the BC early (7 month transition), but I can understand how people do.

I think that's what I was doing too. Getting rid of my relaxed hair now then later but I've always been used to hair and my own hair not the wigs, extensions. So I think i'm going through a shock if you want to call it that. I know that it's going to grow and it's going to be fab. I think i'm just impatient.

Ronnieaj

I think that's what I was doing too. Getting rid of my relaxed hair now then later but I've always been used to hair and my own hair not the wigs, extensions. So I think i'm going through a shock if you want to call it that. I know that it's going to grow and it's going to be fab. I think i'm just impatient.

And on that I feel you!!! It definitely took me some time to get used to it and figure out what I was going to do with it. It felt like I was just starting over, because nothing I'd done before worked AT ALL on my natural hair. And there were some times of frustration involved--just ask my SO. But I lived on youtube and found really great ideas to get me through that time, and now that it's longer, almost 2 years natural now, I have so much versatility and I actually have a clue what I'm doing :grin:!. Just hang in there, and I know you'll be just fine :yep:.

LadyLeoSmile

I know I would regret it if I BC, so i'm not going to. I'll just continue to protective style until I have enough lenght to cut it even. It's NL in the back and sides, the front is just past my nose. My hair grows in layers though, because the last cut I had the back was way shorter than the front and it has since grown past the front.

Good luck on your hair journey!

Minnie

I hated my bc. I don't like the way I look without hair. But it was the best thing I could have done. A year later it was longer than what I started with and without all the damage. If you don't like what it looks like, then cover it.... scarves, wigs, etc. Or braids if it is long enough. Don't stress over it before long it will be just a memory.:grin:

Last edited:
Cute hair accessories and playing with different hair products definitely helps! When I was cutting my hair I was praying it didn't look too bad, and sometimes I do feel a little boyish, but it's passing. It is definitely a huge change though, from long relaxed hair to short natural hair, but I love it so far!

Taina

I don't regret it, i love my hair as it is now. But it took me 2 BC for me to now how much i love my hair.

NerdSauce

I'm almost two years post BC. I only transitioned for 3-4 months. There are a lot of times that I wish I had transitioned longer so i would have had all the relaxed hair i didn't really care about as a buffer for while i was learning things about my hair (and to make it easier to protective style.) I think I would be a lot closer to where i should have been if i had transitioned for even just a few more months.

BostonMaria

I had 5 inches of hair when I did the BC, not enough to even do a ponytail. It was frustrating, but I didn't regret it. I was just so clueless as to what to do with my hair. After about 3 weeks I gave up and went back to my trusty flatiron. I was able to at least rock a half decent straight/curly hair. I am clueless about braids, a weave was not an option for me financially.

joytimes10

Everytime, I'm frustrated w/ the two textures, I remind myself that I would be lost w/out the possibility of a bun.

OP thanks for the thread. I'm transitioning for the long haul.

LovinLea

the only thing that i don't like is that i'm not really feeling how my hair looks when i don't wash it everyday. but cowashing in the winter... i'm cold!

i want to get my hair braided up but i dont know if 1.5-2 inches is enough hair for them to braid ???

MonPetite

I started a thread of this sort the first time I BCed over a year ago here.

There were a lot of meaningful responses.

I bced even shorter this time, with only 1" left. Now I'm edging closer to 4". I was the sort who wore a new style EVERY DAY.

I realized I had to focus on the rest of what made up Little Golden Lamb. Skin, make-up, fashion (Even more so, lol), my hobbies, skills, social circle, etc.

It will pass. After I posted that thread, I relaxed.

I regretted that far more than BCing early on and after a few months BCed once more. Then again to remove texlaxed ends and I am now all natural, again.

Dealing with the emotional baggage you never knew you had can be painful and down right terrifying (I BCed 3x...trust me, your feelings are perfectly "natural", LOL) ...if you face it head on, be honest with yourself and do some serious introspection and investigation of the other parts of you that make up your appearance (and more importantly your lovely personality) it will all be worth it.

12" from now, you'll look back on this, shake your head and laugh.

I know I will.

Last edited:

KinkyRed

I don't regret it, but I definitly have to get used to it! Everytime I pass by a mirror, Im like "who is that man?" It's really short but it feels so good. And I know in a few months I will be so glad that I did it.

Chameleonchick

I don't regret this BC, but my last one I did. This feeling is normal especially if you aren't used to short hair. It will pass, if you need to, get some braid or wig it up.

KiSseS03

My last BC left me with about 4 inches of hair. I don't think I regretted it, but it was definitely a majour shock to the system. I braided my hair for about 1.5 months, and then took the braids out and realized I could rock a cute puff, and I was set! Don't worry girl, this will pass. :yep:

India*32

I don't regret it, but I definitly have to get used to it! Everytime I pass by a mirror, Im like "who is that man?" It's really short but it feels so good. And I know in a few months I will be so glad that I did it.

Girl, you're not a Man with short hair, momma. Now, I had that short natural six months ago. There were times it did not always look cute, but patience is what we girls need to get through this. I recently relaxed because I was tired of that natural look and the curls were fighting me too much. I did not have time since I'm in grad school. Moving fast forward, my hair tonight looks a hot mess, but I finished my finals. That's what's up:sunshine: We just have to embrace this stage and next year we'll be a few inches longer.

India

PearlyCurly

Yes i did and i still do now, only because i wish i did it sooner or i wish i did it later in time so i could have a big curly fro to rock:yep:

I had to BC because half of my hair was burnt out from a relaxer(i relaxed because i was frustrated and confused)

I lost more then 2 handfuls of hair i had no choice but to cut my hair off,

^^^^Thats some of the hair i had lost from the relaxer, my hair was burnt to the scalp.

So My BC was totally bittersweet:lachen: But now that i have ALL of my hair back i am happy being a natural!

makeupgirl

Thank you ladies for your support. I feel so much better now. I have been wearing a wig so that makes me better that I can play around with different styles but I thank ya so much for the tips and the support.

LoveisYou

Not sure how I feel, it's my second bc so the length isn't a factor. I'm just not sure which way I want to go with my hair natural or relaxed? I'm so undecided. I just know I want length

zzirvingj

*hugs*

I'm sorry you feel this way makeupgirl! How long is your hair currently? Forgive me if you already mentioned this but how long did you transition for?

I can't say that I regretted my BC too much because, similar to you, I was impatient and I wanted to cut my hair off sooner rather than later. The hardest part was actually how insenstive other people could be and their reactions to my hair, moreso than anything negative I was feeling about my decision or the way I looked. I actually chopped my hair three times in total--to my shoulder, to my ear, and then the "finale" (big chop...or perhaps it was more like a "little chop" at the time LOL).

I had maybe an inch and a half of hair and it took some time to adjust to that. But I tried to focus on the fact that I was ADJUSTING and that I wanted to learn about my hair and that this period of adjustment and learning was going to take time. So take a deep breath and try to remind yourself of the reasons that you big chopped. Just think...you will look back on this one day and say "look how far I've come", and that will be a great feeling :yep: Not to mention that you may actually miss some facets of having shorter hair, too! :yep: When I passed APL I had to adjust the way I washed/detangled my hair and actually remember missing the carefree wash-n-go days when my hair was 2-6 inches long. ;)

brucebettye

I did not regret my bc because my hair was so damaged and it looked really really bad. I just wore wigs until I found this website then I started to wear my hair out.