RELAXED HAIR LADIES! What do you slick your edges down with?

Lilmama1011

Some gels or jams you use, it looks fine when you leaving out the door but when you outside for a while and you go to rub your fingers over it, it reverted, I have not found a good one yet that is yet to hold. Just brought the hair polisher gel by ic and just noticed you have to use on damp hair and I don't wet my hair daily, so don't know what to do with it now and I have heard it works great on natural heads by defining the curl. And olive oil edge control doesn't seem to be doing it and qp elasta gel doesn't do it either, what do you recommend?

hothair

Usually giovanni direct leave in with a ill jbco and a scarf for a few minutes does it.

If not ic sparklites in the tube does a good job too. I don't dampen my hair first though.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I don't use anything:perplexed: I find if I am diligent about moisturizing and sealing and wearing a head wrap at night my edges look "presentable" < <<< Key word:lol:

Here is a pic of my edge today...almost 9 weeks post. I did not do anything to deliberately smooth my edges...some additional leave in and oil would have given me a smoother finish.
IMG-20120315-00371.jpg

Eco styler is often mentioned by naturals probably worth a try (be sure to use a moisturizer under it though to prevent flaking etc).

Last edited:

shiney_sapphire

I just bought hicks edge control. It works great. It cost more than most but works. It isn't hardening or stiff, just smooth and soft.

MsBoinglicious

water, oil, shea butter and a scarf.

If I don't have those I use conditoner and scarf or gel (Eco styler) and scarf.

Key word: Scarf!

lol

Evolving78

freshed relaxed, water, some oil or moisturizer

new growth, keracare pomade, motions pomade.

i really wanna check out Aveda pomade. it is anti humectant, so no reverting. the others have glycerin in them.

Raspberry

water + Ecostyler gel (the olive oil one).

ETA: The texture around my edges is looser so that probably makes a difference in the effort it takes to lay them down.

crlsweetie912

I am loving the curls passion fruit control paste. It's a pomade and NO reversion, not hard, smooth and shiny. But the jar is so little!!!

GulfCoastChica

I alternate. If I have a fresh relaxer where I don't need too much assistance, I use QP Elasta's Glaze. If my relaxer is not-so-fresh and I need more help - I use Hick's Edge Control, which is the bomb.com.

wheezy807

I use scurl and aloe vera gel, no scarf needed. I could be 6mo. post and look like I have a fresh relaxer. The only way you know is my wavy edges.

Lilmama1011

Nix08 said:
I don't use anything:perplexed: I find if I am diligent about moisturizing and sealing and wearing a head wrap at night my edges look "presentable" < <<< Key word:lol:

Here is a pic of my edge today...almost 9 weeks post. I did not do anything to deliberately smooth my edges...some additional leave in and oil would have given me a smoother finish.

Eco styler is often mentioned by naturals probably worth a try (be sure to use a moisturizer under it though to prevent flaking etc).

I don't have problems with the front it's the back when I go to wear it in a ponytail

Lilmama1011

shiney_sapphire said:
I just bought hicks edge control. It works great. It cost more than most but works. It isn't hardening or stiff, just smooth and soft.

I just found out about that yesterday and heard it 15 dollars or more. I would be willing to pay it if it smooths my hair down dramatically tho, and I'm talking about the back because that's the most coarse hair

Lilmama1011

shortdub78 said:
freshed relaxed, water, some oil or moisturizer

new growth, keracare pomade, motions pomade.

i really wanna check out Aveda pomade. it is anti humectant, so no reverting. the others have glycerin in them.

Going to look up aveda

Lilmama1011

crlsweetie912 said:
I am loving the curls passion fruit control paste. It's a pomade and NO reversion, not hard, smooth and shiny. But the jar is so little!!!

Sounds like it smells lovely going to look up about that too

Lilmama1011

GulfCoastChica said:
I alternate. If I have a fresh relaxer where I don't need too much assistance, I use QP Elasta's Glaze. If my relaxer is not-so-fresh and I need more help - I use Hick's Edge Control, which is the bomb.com.

Yal making me want to try hicks

Lilmama1011

wheezy807 said:
I use scurl and aloe vera gel, no scarf needed. I could be 6mo. post and look like I have a fresh relaxer. The only way you know is my wavy edges.

You talking about the actual s curl kit? I don't think so because you can't do that with a relaxer and that sounds cool, wish my edges could be wavy but I heard aloe Vera gel is kind of ify but goin to give that a try if hicks don't work

wheezy807

Lilmama1011 said:
You talking about the actual s curl kit? I don't think so because you can't do that with a relaxer and that sounds cool, wish my edges could be wavy but I heard aloe Vera gel is kind of ify but goin to give that a try if hicks don't work

I'm talking about s curl....scurl moisturizing activator.

Last edited:

Sanity

Cosmetologist
I use dr miracles edge promade.. so far its working alot better than the ors (the texture of the gel was too hard)

cherrynicole

Yep using Hicks too. I do use Jam gel on occasion. My friend had some design essentials gel that was the bomb but I cant find it anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

MystiqueBabe

I purchased the As I Am Naturally Smoothing Gel and will say it has worked wonders for me and does not flake.

Alternatively I will just wet the section that I want to smooth down and add some conditioner to it. Most work fine, but I usually use my cheapie conditioners and they keep it smoothed down pretty well. If I need extra throughout the day I put Aussie 3 min miracle (it's a fairly small bottle) in my purse and reapply. Scarfs work too.

Last edited:

TeeSGee

I'm currently using ORS edge control, but looking for something that hold my hair all day without leaving a film or coating on my hair. i'll be reading this thread for tips.

shiney_sapphire

Lilmama1011 said:
I just found out about that yesterday and heard it 15 dollars or more. I would be willing to pay it if it smooths my hair down dramatically tho, and I'm talking about the back because that's the most coarse hair

Yeah it is on the higher end as far as cost but well worth it. I don't think I can go back to anything else. It makes the most rebellious hair lay down without a scarf!

Lilmama1011

Sanity said:
I use dr miracles edge promade.. so far its working alot better than the ors (the texture of the gel was too hard)

Ok, have to check that out as well and see if I can bare with smell

Lilmama1011

cns26 said:
Yep using Hicks too. I do use Jam gel on occasion. My friend had some design essentials gel that was the bomb but I cant find it anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Does hicks hold very well, I'm talk about over 6 weeks post