Is pomade better to slick edges down than gel or jam?

Lilmama1011

I use olive oil edge control and for some reason I want to use pomade, maybe try wave builder pudding natural wave. I'm relaxed btw, anyone use pomade instead of gels to slick edges down and is it any better?

LuvlyRain3

I prefer pomades. I used edge control once and gave it away immediately. I use a pomade, maybe a dab of water and a head scarf to lay my edges down. Work like a charm. Right now my pomade of choice is sweet butter pomade by Hairitage hydration.

Lilmama1011

LuvlyRain3 said:
I prefer pomades. I used edge control once and gave it away immediately. I use a pomade, maybe a dab of water and a head scarf to lay my edges down. Work like a charm. Right now my pomade of choice is sweet butter pomade by Hairitage hydration.

So it works better with water?

LuvlyRain3

My hair is usually damp when I do it so I think that use water with it out of habit so that may not necessarily be the case.

Keen

Nothing other than some black gel can slick my hair down in it's natural state. Even with the black gel I'd have to tie it down until it dries.

ETA: My friend used to tell me how I need to slick down my new growth. I told her it would not stay down. One day I told her to slick it down for me. She has not told me I need to slick down my NG ever since...

Last edited:

silenttullip

if your protein or crunch sensitive yes pomade is better I love pomades gels only in moderation to me its about what ingredients your hair likes

Lilmama1011

silenttullip said:
if your protein or crunch sensitive yes pomade is better I love pomades gels only in moderation to me its about what ingredients your hair likes

Your absolutely right it really does matter what your hair likes. Because some stuff people say are horrible for their hair is fine for others

Dayjoy

Old School Member
My favorite product for edges is Pravana Detail Shine and Define Polish (pomade), the ABSOLUTE BEST thing I have ever used on DD's 4c hair. 1000X better than any gel I've ever tried.:yep:

miss stress

Dayjoy where can I pick tht up cause dd has 4b/c hair as well and gel broke her edges off and it flakes so much I cant stand it we've been using ecostyler

Loving

I prefer pomades or Lets Jam. I have ORS Edge Control but I hate it! Its too thick and caky.

Burbujas

I love pomades for slicking down my edges and for sealing (i use Oyin's burnt sugar pomade). I usually dampen my hair a bit with water, use a bit of pomade, smooth my hair using my hands (and sometimes a soft brush) and then tie a satin scarf around my edges, which I'll leave on for a few hours. I never use gel or jam, that just breaks my hair and dries it out.

LuvlyRain3

^^^ the ones that I am currently using are pretty natural.

Peach aloe pomade- aloe butter, peach oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, fragrance

Sweet buttery pomade- Shea oil, aloe oil, Shea butter, beeswax, fragrance

Both of these are from Hairitage hydration

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Agree with @LuvlyRain3 :grin:

The ones I use do not have M.O. because I don't use M.O. There are several options of Handmade/Naturals

Here are some Examples of the one's I use:

Hairveda Almond Glaze
Hairitage Hydrations Peach & Aloe Pomade
Hairitage Hydrations Sweet Buttery Pomade
Kyra's Ultimate Indulgence Pomegrante Pomade
Enso Naturals Pomade
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade
SheScentIt Marula Pomade
Marie Dean Aloe & Mint
Afroveda Ginger Root Pomade
Njoi Creations Sweet Coconut Pomade w/Acai

TheNDofUO

Dayjoy

Old School Member
The Pravana has no mineral oil (it actually has some good stuff) but has a list of parabens at the end of the ingredient list.:sad:

Important Information
Ingredients
Water, Ceteareth-25, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Extract, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Amica Montana Flower Extract, Algae Extract, Hair Keratin Amino Acids, Wheat Amino Acids, Pasiflora Edulia Seed Oil, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

Directions
Rub a small amount between hands and apply into damp or dry hair.

greenandchic

As a natural, I prefer "Jam" type products like Curls Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste. I also like Giovanni Magnetic Force Styling Wax. It offers ultimate hold without my hair feeling greasy or waxy.

Ann0804

I use pomades now that I am natural and tend to flat iron my hair. When I was relaxed I used gels because I didn't have to be concerned with reversion.

Krystle~Hime

^^^ the ones that I am currently using are pretty natural.

Peach aloe pomade- aloe butter, peach oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, fragrance

Sweet buttery pomade- Shea oil, aloe oil, Shea butter, beeswax, fragrance

Both of these are from Hairitage hydration

LuvlyRain3
how does your hair feel by day 4 or 5 by using beeswax? or maybe you only use it on edge but don't twist your hair with it ? i was wondering if hair can be sticky.

spellinto

Have any of you ladies used Tropical Isles Hair Food as a pomade (same company that distributes JBCO)? I'm thinking about buying...

Ingredients:
Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Neem oil, Grapeseed Oil, Vitamin E, Palm Stearic, Candedilla wax, Canauba Wax, Cactus Oil

would that count as a pomade? do you think it could smooth down edges?

Lady S

Nothing other than some black gel can slick my hair down in it's natural state. Even with the black gel I'd have to tie it down until it dries.

ETA: My friend used to tell me how I need to slick down my new growth. I told her it would not stay down. One day I told her to slick it down for me. She has not told me I need to slick down my NG ever since...

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: