relaxed hair not feeling moisturized. any suggestions?

SheenaVee

im transitioning and i can always get my natural roots so soft and moisturized but the relaxed parts feel hard and dry. i dunno what to do coz i dnt wanna change my products and regime coz they work for my natural hair but i wanna keep my relaxed hair healthy too until im ready to cut it off.

-i co wash a few times a week with herbal essences
-deep condition once a week with ors replenishing pak
-shampoo with con once a week when deep conditioning
-spray rosewater glycerin on my hair
-moisturize with ors olive oil moisturizer

any suggestion ladies?

JessCNU

try coconut oil... it always does the trick for me! I use it in dry and wet hair. ( but dry mostly )

SheenaVee

hmm tried it as well. in fact ive stil got half a jar and it doesnt seem to do much for me. maybe i got the wrong 1 coz the one i have doesnt smell of coconut.

Divine_Order

Nix the glycerin and try spraying on plain old rose water. That's what's been really helping to keep my hair feeling SOFT and moisturized. :yep: I use it when bunning and if I wear my relaxed hair flat ironed. I'm relaxed 4a/b, I use a no lye.

me-T

shoot, i'm havin the opposite problem. i FINALLY found products my relaxed hair likes (now that i'm done w/ relaxers...go figure) but cant find anything for my roots.
how much ng do i need to notice a difference? i've got about a half inch, so maybe its not enough to count...?

SheenaVee

maybe it is the ors moisturizer. i cannot find a really good moisturizer though, the ors seems to be the best so far. and when i wasnt transitioning it used to work fine on my relaxed hair but now...*sigh*

paradise79

Congrat on your transition OP.

The baggy method saved me from raggedy ends and dry hair. I spray it with S-curl mixed with a part glycerine, some water and I seal with coconut oil. The result is soft and moisturized hair all over. That's the only mis that gives me this result, sorry but it ain't easy to find out the perfect moisturizer, sometimes you just have to try out things or compose your own.

Artemis

im transitioning and i can always get my natural roots so soft and moisturized but the relaxed parts feel hard and dry. i dunno what to do coz i dnt wanna change my products and regime coz they work for my natural hair but i wanna keep my relaxed hair healthy too until im ready to cut it off.

-i co wash a few times a week with herbal essences
-deep condition once a week with ors replenishing pak
-shampoo with con once a week when deep conditioning
-spray rosewater glycerin on my hair
-moisturize with ors olive oil moisturizer

any suggestion ladies?

Your natural hair is going to feel softer and nicer anyways because it's newer, therefore more healthy. Perhaps you should try clarifying and deep conditioning with a treatment that is less coating, applying to the ends first and then working up. Or use a liquid leave-in spray every day that is moisture-based, and use on the relaxed hair. I really like Paul Mitchell Super-Charged for moisture dc, and Kenra Daily Provision Leave-in. Although not a liquid leave-in Paul Mitchell The Conditioner corrects moisture loss over time, so that is also a great option. Sealing with an oil of your choice can help retain the moisture. If the cost of these products are an issue (although a little goes a long way) there are alternative products that lots of folks use, but I just wanted to mention the type of product to look for.

HTH and congrats on your transition journey :)

*KP*

Which ORS olive oil do you use? I have two, one is great and one is AWFUL.

The one in the tub is AWFUL and makes my relaxed hair super dry but the one in the bottle is great. The ingredients are different

SheenaVee

Which ORS olive oil do you use? I have two, one is great and one is AWFUL.

The one in the tub is AWFUL and makes my relaxed hair super dry but the one in the bottle is great. The ingredients are different

i use the one in the bottle. i think its gr8 too...but only on my natural hair

*KP*

i use the one in the bottle. i think its gr8 too...but only on my natural hair

hmm, then I'd go with the clarifying option. Hope it helps!

ETA - or chelating to remove mineral deposits. I use Redken Hair Cleansing Cream and it really is wonderful.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

My relax hair did not like the ORS replenshing paks. It felt good when my hair was wet but soon as it dried, my hair felt coated, hard, and looked dry.

Try a different conditioner and maybe that will help! Since you are cowashing a lot use a chelating shampoo seldomly to remove buildup and mineral deposit.

luvn_life

You might need to do a moisturizind deep condition. I use Aussie Moist 3 min Miracle Moisture treatment and it is GREAT!!! But, ORS Paks are protein so you might need to follow up with a moisturizing deep con.

HTH

SheenaVee

My relax hair did not like the ORS replenshing paks. It felt good when my hair was wet but soon as it dried, my hair felt coated, hard, and looked dry.

Try a different conditioner and maybe that will help! Since you are cowashing a lot use a chelating shampoo seldomly to remove buildup and mineral deposit.

yes ur right! i think its the ors replenishing con thats the problem! i remember when i wasnt transitioning and i tried it and i was thinking 'is this wat all the hype is about?' it didnt do nuthin for my hair! but when transitioning i tried it again and my natural hair loves it. so it is likely to be that. *sigh* looks like il have to looks for another deep con.

chynawitch

I buy aussie from suerdrug they always seem to have deals going on. I buy the aussie leave in it smells beautiful :) I agree with the releneshing ak being nice for newgrowth but for me a bit too heavy/coated without lots of new growth to tame. I also love the ors olive oil in the bottle but its quite wet I am looking for a moisturizer that is a little less heavy....

My sister is natural and loves the ors olive oil in the bottle i ut her on to it nothing adds moisture like it does...

JenBenCal

Thank you for starting this post! I am having a similar problem. I'm stretching right now and my relaxed hair feels very dry a lot of the time. And I completely agree: ORS olive oil is TERRIBLE. Gahh, I want my $7 back!! Lol.