HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! - severe breakage

FlyRob

After being natural for 2.5 years, I decided to have my hair professionally texturized (ORS) twice (December - full hair, and March - touch up). While I love the look, I now have a HUGE area of hair breakage in the middle left side:sad:. My hair is between APL and BSL. The breakage area is 1/2 inch in length.

What could have caused this, how can I prevent this from happening again, and how should I correct it? Please help.

When you were natural did you bun? Sometimes hair can become stressed depending on the location of the bun/ponytail and the tightness of the elastic.

You stated that you permed twice already, correct? When did you notice the breakage?
Are you caring for your hair the same way you did for your natural hair? If so, it's time to rethink that. Your permed hair and your natural hair might need very different care. Revisit your regimen. What type of perm is ORS, lye or no lye. You might want to think about what type of perm you're using and whether it's the best for your hair type. By hair type I mean, fine, medium, coarse and consider the current health of your scalp...

I had this happen and for it was a results overprocessing due to insufficiently neutralizing.

I could only trim the area bluntly to remove the broken hair and let it grow on its on.

I did not use growth aids in the area and just let it grow naturally. While it was growing back I just did normal good hair care, conditoning, protein treatments, etc.

It took me a while to realize that I was not neutralizing properly until I change to one of the color coded shampoos and realized that it was still pink after washing the same number of times I had been before.

I had several bouts of broken sections before I realized it.

Now I prevent it by really neutralizing well and relaxing my hair in 2 parts to prevent over processing.

If someone else processed your hair, you may want to change stylists while you try to grow those areas back.

Thank you for answering ladies. While my hair was natural I wore it exclusively in twists. The relaxer I am now using is ORS lye.

Why would it happen only in one area and not the rest of the hair?

Back