Relaxed heads: Please share your nightly hair routine

MuziqizLyfe

Hi Ladies,

I'm wondering what others are doing to their hair each night to prep for the next day? How are you protecting your hair at night? Do you roll/pincurl your hair for a heat free style the next day? Are you sleeping in braids/twists to wear it out the next morning? I'm looking for other ideas to help me stay away from the flat iron in the morning...I was full bra strap but had to get trimmed to grazing BSL. I'm attributing that to too much heat!

Right now this is my new routine:
Moisturize and seal
lightly comb through
wrap, cross wrap, or flexi rod
Silk scarf

Hello :)

Everynight before bed I fingerpart four sections in my hair, spray each section(water/conditioner mix), apply ors replenishing conditioner to my ends, bun or bantu each section and baggy my whole head.

Last edited:
Cowash (nightly)...air dry anywhere from 75 - 100% dry...usually do 2 bantu knots (or two side buns) wrap in a satin hair wrap....in the am I'm usually dry but I normally put my hair up anyway so if I'm not it doesn't matter.

ETA: I do the bantu's or side buns because if I decide to wear my hair down I have a nice wave:yep:

Hi

Every night I wrap my hair or, rollerset it. Lately I've been roller setting because I find that my hair comes out better. If i do wrap it then I don't put a lot of pins in my hair.

I want to try pin curling now just to see how it will turn out the next day.

It may vary depending on the desired style but no matter what I moisture (water & NTM Leave-In) and seal (CHI Silk Infusion or Wild Hair Growth Oil), put extra NTM on my edges and nape and seal as well then place a satin or silk scarf on pretty snug to get my edges flat without brushing, combing, or using gel.

Other than that I may do one of these:
- set it on 1 large flexi rod on a high pony tail
- do two french braids for a wavy braid out
- put it in some kind of bun (in this case I also wrap a plastic cap around the bun, put the scarf on, then put a wool hat on - this makes my hair soooo incredibly soft in the morning)

caliscurls said:
It may vary depending on the desired style but no matter what I moisture (water & NTM Leave-In) and seal (CHI Silk Infusion or Wild Hair Growth Oil), put extra NTM on my edges and nape and seal as well then place a satin or silk scarf on pretty snug to get my edges flat without brushing, combing, or using gel.

Other than that I may do one of these:
- set it on 1 large flexi rod on a high pony tail
- do two french braids for a wavy braid out
- put it in some kind of bun (in this case I also wrap a plastic cap around the bun, put the scarf on, then put a wool hat on - this makes my hair soooo incredibly soft in the morning)

Note: I only comb or brush on wash day.....the less I mess with my hair the more retention)

Every night I moisturize with kinky curly knot today and seal with coconut I oil. I braid my hair in six braids with shea butter/oil mixture. Tie with a silk scarf.

Right now, I am applying M/N to a couple problem areas I have. And either following up with a Lotion or Light Oil.

Apply Satin Cap. I was using Silk Scarves, but now I'm using a Satin Cap turned inside out, with the Elastic Side facing out.

I am just developing a night routine. Currently, I moisturize with leave-in, seal with grapeseed oil, and wrap in satin scarf.

Very good point IDareT'sHair...the inside out wrap...I have a few broken hairs along where I'd do a centre part due to my wrap...I now turn it inside out. It's crazy how it's the little things:nono:

When I am freshly relaxed, I roller set my roller set my hair every night, after moisturizing and sealing.
When I am stretching, I usually have flexi rod set last for a whole week, and so I just moisturizer and seal and Baggie my whole head at night.

Post wash day I'll use a creamy moisturizer and seal the ends with Claudie's pomade. After that I'll just dampen the length a bit with water and/or Claudie's gel and seal the ends with water + pomade. I usually finger comb...

How I set the hair all depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I rotate between a loose high ponytail with the ends tucked under (really lazy), two large twists with the roots braided, a few large twists that have been bantu knotted, and a loose high bun.

I sleep on a satin pillow case. I only wear a satin scarf in the week following a touch-up because I'll wrap my hair to keep super-straight look. After that week is up I'm done with wrapping...it's stresses out the hair around my temple too much.

Last edited:
I moisturize with Proline softner Moisturizer
Seal with Oil
Put in 2 Pigtails
and Bun in the Am

I spritz with water or Wen Revitalizing Mist, then coat with castor oil/grapeseed oil mix or pure argan oil (Camden Gray). I move the braided bun to the middle of my head, and I'm good to go! A lot of mornings all I have to do is re-wet my hair, adjust and re-pin the bun, then go. It takes 2 minutes!

I oil my scalp with Claudie's Scalp serum w/sulfur or another growth oil. I massage my scalp about 2 mins. Then I moisturize and seal my ends like every 2 to 3 days. I either crosswrap, wrap or twist depending on how I'm wearing my hair. Put on a silk scarf and go to bed.

My nightly moisturizing and sealing routine kicks in at 1 week post. For the first week after a relaxer, I don't put anything on my hair to keep the flow-y movement. For some reason I get no breakage--or much shedding--after a fresh relaxer so the lack of product during this time doesn't produce any negative effects.

I split my hair in two halves. Then I split that half in horizontal sections (thickness of section changes based on my laziness and/or amount of weeks post) going up and apply moisturizer and oil to each. This method is key once I start to get new growth. It ensures that I'm getting all the way to the root with the product.

I sleep in a silk scarf every night. I either cross wrap (my go to especially after a fresh relaxer) my hair, use a few flexirods to smooth the ends and give a nice wave, or throw in some pin curls.

On my wash nights:

~Airdry until slightly damp
~Put in 2 pigtail braids
~Add castor oil to ends

On my non-wash nights:

~Moisturize in sections with ORS Carrot Oil
~Massage dime-sized amount of NTM throughout
~Put in loose bun
~Cover with satin bonnet
~Sleep on satin pillowcase

moisturize with wave nouveau moisturizing mist
seal with jojoba oil
twist and bun with spin pin or cross wrap
scarf

Here is what I just started doing since I received my new products. It only takes a few minutes each night. I mainly wear wigs so I don't have to worry about styling my hair.

-section my hair into four parts. I work on one section at a time.
-apply my MN mix to scalp
-apply DB Transitioning creme to ng/mid-shaft
-apply Claudie's Balancing Ends to my ends
-seal with oil
-do a light scalp massage
-braid each section and baggy
-tie w/silk or satin scarf and put on satin bonnet

I moisturize with spritz
seal with any oil i have laying around paying lots of attention to my ends.
Oil my scalp with mn mix
tie up with satin scarf and satin bonnet

**If i did not wash or cowash my hair that day I baggy then I tie it up with satin

I massage my edges with sulfur and oil (Sometimes I just massage without the oil), moisturize my entire hair with lotion, then tie with a silk scarf. I usually wear my hear tied back in a pony tail. If I want to wear my hair out in the morning, I either wash it or wet it with diluted leave and seal with CHI silk infusion then let it air dry.

Oil my scalp, massage and brush each section with a boar bristle brush

line the roots (not the scalp) of my part with grease to seal the oils and brush in

Use a white girl brush to brush out, spray motions leave in and brush through

hold my head down and use WG brush to brush my hair forward

Find part, brush (boar) in sleep style and put on my stay on satin

How do you rollerset at night? Do you use rollers and if so what kind?

Apply Design Essentials mosturizer and wrap every night.

I get up in the morning and put my hair in rollers for an hour. I haven't been able to find rollers that are comfortable to sleep on.

Last edited:
I split my hair into four sections and moisturize and seal, and then either cross wrap or loosely bun.
Cover with my silk scarf.

At a bare minimun, I keep it in my bun PS and put a satin cap on.

Most nights I take my bun down, smooth in some moisturizer, seal my ends and loosely secure it in a bun again, and put on a satin cap. I do all of this with my hands rather than combing it through (low mani).

Towards the end of the week, if my hair is starting to get weighed down with product, I will sleep in a few rollers rather than a bun so the moisture can really infuse in my hair and give me some body so my bun isn't flat the next day. Then I put the satin cap on, of course, and go to sleep.

andreab said:
How do you rollerset at night? Do you use rollers and if so what kind?

I get up in the morning and put my hair in rollers for an hour. I haven't been able to find rollers that are comfortable to sleep on.

I use sponge rollers, and I use the regular black or yellow rollers(the one with the teeth out). I hate sleeping in them the majority of the time, but my hair comes out better the next day.

I spritz, massage, M&S and put my twists in a plastic bag and cover that with a satin cap for moisture for the twists. I want them to last for 2 mos and I will not tolerate breakage due to dry hair from the kanekalon hair. Just trying to stay ahead of the game.

Most of the time I have curls, put a lil castor oil on my hands and run it through, not so much to weigh curls down because we know castor oil is heavy and put satin bonnet on head, I don't sleep on my face either I just sleep however I want and just fluff in the morning

I typically either wrap or pin curl, put on my satin scarf and lay my head on my satin pillowcase :). I don't usually m&s between wash days.....

Back