Relaxed Ladies - Can you Rollerset, shake and go?

lana

I have a 4a/b (mostly 4B) texlaxed head and just started rollersetting to use less heat when styling...but I still need my flat iron to get the areas that didn't straighten all the way with the rollers and dome dryer.

My question is: Relaxed ladies are you able to rollerset your hair at home and it comes out curled but straightened? Do you need to flatiron after you rollerset to achieve a sleek salon fresh look?

(I know about the saran wrap technique and it doesn't work for me so far)

I would appreciate any responses. I'm considering relaxing with my Lye Mizani Butter Blends for Fine and color treated hair. Instead of JUST texlaxing. I want to use less heat but achieve a sleek style.

LushLox

My siggy pic is a rollerset, unfortunately I couldn't simply shake and go I had to wrap it first, but I only wrapped for a few minutes and the hair was straight but I kept my curls and body.

I don't do saran wrap either, I'm terrible at that. I just use my silk scarf which seems to work just as well.

naturalpride

Yes, I shake and go at times when I want my ends to have a curl, but when I want a sleek look I wrap my hair then comb it down.

Salsarisma

I usually rollerset at night, so I never actually shake and go, BUT I could. My hair is straight from the roots and curly. If I want no curls but a slight bump, I will use the Saran wrap technique, which works great! I have never had to use a flat iron.

What type of rollers are you using? And maybe your tension is off with your rollers and causing your hair not to be as straight as it could be??

prospurr4

I'm 4b/c, texlaxed and straighten my hair with rollersets, exclusively. I haven't touched a flatiron is almost 5 years. If I want to wear my hair straight, I rollerset on 2" rollers, crosswrap, and tie my hair down with a scarf.

Below is a pic, taken last summer, of a rollerset done on 1" rollers. I didn't exactly "shake and go," but just separated the curls with my fingers after removing the rollers:

chasturner84

I'm 4b/c, texlaxed and straighten my hair with rollersets, exclusively. I haven't touched a flatiron is almost 5 years. If I want to wear my hair straight, I rollerset on 2" rollers, crosswrap, and tie my hair down with a scarf.

Below is a pic, taken last summer, of a rollerset done on 1" rollers. I didn't exactly "shake and go," but just separated the curls with my fingers after removing the rollers:

Prospurr4, You are one of my hair idols! Your current length is my ultimate length. What product(s) do you use to set your hair? Your curls look so light and bouncy!

OP: I use the large gray rollers (not sure what size) to set my hair when I want a straight style. After I take the rollers out, I wrap my hair and tie it with a satin scarf. When I take it off, my hair is straight but has a lot of body. I haven't have much success with shake and go's. I always end up looking like a poodle.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

Yes, because my hair is straight. I don't ever HAVE to flat iron.

You may be kinda texlaxed if you MUST flat iron after rollersetting.

KinkyGenius

What does your texlaxed hair look like wet prospurr4?

MissMusic

After setting my hair is just tooo big to just shake and go, I have to wrap for a little while and then shake and go, lol.

lilwomen20010

Well for me I have to flat iron my roots after I rollerset, cause I am texlax.. so sometimes I say whats the point.. I just air dry and flat iron lol....

hairdrama:{

For the shake and go I use 2” rollers so I can have some curl/wavy pattern; but for the straight look (pics on my avt & siggy) I set on 3” rollers & then saran swap. I rarely use the flat iron these days........:)

prospurr4

Prospurr4, You are one of my hair idols! Your current length is my ultimate length. What product(s) do you use to set your hair? Your curls look so light and bouncy!

Wow, I don't think I've ever been anyone's hair idol...that is an awesome compliment...thank you! I rollerset on magnetic rollers, using plain water.

Mine too! Her hair is just :lick:. I am a 4b and I just started texlaxing and would also like to know what products you use Prospurr4.

Thank you...my entire texlaxing routine and hair regimen is in the "About Me" section of my fotki (link in siggy). I basically co-wash/rollerset weekly. I use Suave or VO5 conditioners for cowashing.

danysedai

I'm not texlaxed, I'm relaxed bone straight and after a roller set if I'm some weeks into my stretch I zap the roots with a flat iron. I'm good at rollersets, I do the mohawk rollers, going up like the dominicans do for better tension and straighter roots.
I would like to invest in a good blow dryer and perfect straightening roots after a rollerset like this girl in this website does (just the roots)
http://www.dominicanblowout.com/how_to/domincan-blowout-technique-video/

ceebee3

I rollerset, wrap and go. I don't like the curl from a rollerset, I do them for straight hair.

That's one of the best advantages to being relaxed, you never have to use direct heat for straight hair.

If you're underprocessed then you would probably need to use some type of heat.

kami11213

Gorgeous hair Prospurr...

I'm not texlaxed but after a fresh relaxer (usually 1-6 wks post) I can rollerset on 2' rollers and be able to shake and go after that I usually have to flat iron or blow my roots out

exoticmommie

Like this (taken June 2009):

Gorgeous hair Prospurr...

I'm not texlaxed but after a fresh relaxer (usually 1-6 wks post) I can rollerset on 2' rollers and be able to shake and go after that I usually have to flat iron or blow my roots out

For the shake and go I use 2” rollers so I can have some curl/wavy pattern; but for the straight look (pics on my avt & siggy) I set on 3” rollers & then saran swap. I rarely use the flat iron these days........:)

Yes, I shake and go at times when I want my ends to have a curl, but when I want a sleek look I wrap my hair then comb it down.

My siggy pic is a rollerset, unfortunately I couldn't simply shake and go I had to wrap it first, but I only wrapped for a few minutes and the hair was straight but I kept my curls and body.

I don't do saran wrap either, I'm terrible at that. I just use my silk scarf which seems to work just as well.

Y'all got me up in drooling. :drool:

MsKibibi

I can if I do a reverse rollerset. My roots lay flat and I don't get the visible roller parts(pet peeve of mine).

MsKibibi

reverse rollerset???? what do you mean?

I put the hair under the roller and roll towards my face instead of rolling towards my nape. I hope I'm explaining it clearly. I plan to record a video when I wash my hair next week. So I'll post it when I do.

MoMo

I put the hair under the roller and roll towards my face instead of rolling towards my nape. I hope I'm explaining it clearly. I plan to record a video when I wash my hair next week. So I'll post it when I do.

Please do. You have the most beautiful head of hair that I have ever seen.

SelfStyled

Uh......no, I usually still need to flat iron a little. I don't really worry about it though, cause it's one pass on 325. I am texlaxed though, with really coarse hair. My rollersets still leave me with a lot of texture. I have not tried the saran wrap in a while- i might need to revisit that.

I am jealous of people hair comes out silky after rollersets:look: