Do you have a nape regimine?

long_hair1day

I'm trying to figure out why my nape does not grow as fast as the rest of my hair. I self relax every 9 weeks or so and while the rest of my hair has close to 1/2-3/4 inch of NG each relaxer cycle (yes, a slow grower), my nape stays the same. :perplexed I'm NL (bottom) so luckily if I wear my hair down, its covered but I really want it to be full and thick like the rest of my hair.
I do moisture/seal my nape nightly, and us no direct heat but obviously this is not enough....

So, I'm wondering do you ladies have a separate regimine just for your nape? If so, please share what worked for you...

Do/did you apply a growth aide to that area? if so, what?
Should I not relax my nape each time or what?
..anything?

JudithO

I used to be relaxed and I had the same problem... I found out, when I went natural that my nape is a much looser curl than the rest of my head and much softer...So relaxing it in the same way as the other parts of my hair broke it off... Your nape is definitely growing.. you are just not retaining the growth... Maybe have your hair stylist relax your nape last or do not relax it for a while to see how it behaves..

Also, wrapping your hair really tight every night might be the culprit...

mstokes2008

I saw a post a few months back where someone put one cornrow along their nape that way it stays protected even if you wear your hair out and if you're hair is long enough to cover it then no one will ever know its braided underneath. I can't for the life of me remember who posted it, but it seems like a pretty good idea if you're trying to grow your nape out.

Shadiyah

I am not relaxed but my nape is very high and very thin and what i do os make sure that i apply castor oil in that area after i finish styling. Like you said your hair covers it. I also agree about not puttin perm on that area.

naturalTAN

I saw a post a few months back where someone put one cornrow along their nape that way it stays protected even if you wear your hair out and if you're hair is long enough to cover it then no one will ever know its braided underneath. I can't for the life of me remember who posted it, but it seems like a pretty good idea if you're trying to grow your nape out.

I think you're talking about Nike.

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/hair-challenges/megatek/

Miss AJ

When I relaxed I only relaxed my nape every other relaxer to give it a chance to grow. As a relaxed and now a natural head, I moisturize and seal my nape every night and I always put extra conditioner back there during my DC sessions. It's coming along nicely.

ETA: I try not to play in it either, the curlies back there are irresistable and I have a habit of playing in them lol.

lushlady

My hair is not relaxed, but I'm always careful about the position of my scarf and satin bonnet. There was a time that I wasn't so careful about the way I tied my scarf (when I was relaxed and wrapping my hair almost every night) and now I have a spot where my hair will not grow in as thick as the rest of my hair. I first noticed it in my early 20s, so I'm pretty sure I have damaged my follicles.

amwcah

My nape is a problem area as well. I decided not to relax it until it reaches at least 6". It has been growing but falling right out after I relax it. If my plan does not work, I may have to just go natural. I'm tired of this bald nape. This has been an ongoing issue for me for the last couple of years.

greenandchic

I'm not relaxed, but my nape is a problem area. The curl pattern is looser (about 3b/3c when the rest of my hair in that area is 4a - the front is 3c) and its thinner than the rest. I use castor oil which helps a lot. In addition to not pulling it tight, its, keeping oil moisturized and sealed is the best thing I could do for it.

FearfullyMade

Thanks, I appreciate this thread, I remember the thread when someone said that they braided their nape area. I think this is a good idea.
My problem is that my nape has been braided when I wear my hair in my ps, sew-ins and wigs. I think my nape area has gotten thinner because I had been using the combs in the short wigs.
Now, I cut the combs out of them. But also, when I wear my sew-ins I use a straight type bobbypin and push it throughout my hair so that my edges and my cornrows underneath don't get matted with the lint ,.etc that tends to get tangled in your braids.
I think I'm going to start using my castor oil to help that are out, it helped my edges before when my edges had an issue from a too tight sew-in.

HTH.....sorry if I got a little long winded :)

HauteHippie

I used to not relax the perimeter (an inch and a half or so) of my hair as often b/c my hair is both thin and fine. Then I went natural for a few years. Turns out the nape is a looser texture with a silkier feel. Now the relaxer is applied to the perimeter last and left on for a short time.

Have you thought about or tried stretching your relaxers? Also, I would recommend MN if it doesn't freak you out or Megatek. Those 2 products helped me fill in the front of my hairline.

vestaluv1

This is what I do! I got the idea from Mookshair a few years back and it really helped to grow my nape from like 1 inch to waist length. Before doing this, I couldnt retain length there at all!