What are you doing for your Nape hair?

I find Nape hair very difficult to maintain.

Are you doing anything special for your nape hair? If you are please share :yep:

My nape hair is a mess!!!

Diya

For whatever reason, the hair at my nape is so much drier than the rest of my hair. Before I joined LHCF, my nape was very short and breaking. Right now, it's thriving and really catching up with the rest of my hair. I did the math, and it was moisture that was missing from the equation. I basically put a little extra moisturizer on my nape at night and make sure that my satin scarf is protecting that area but not tied too tight. I might also consider relaxing my nape only every other touch up... weakening it with a relaxer is really only working against all the work I'm doing to strengthen it :perplexed

For whatever reason, the hair at my nape is so much drier than the rest of my hair. Before I joined LHCF, my nape was very short and breaking. Right now, it's thriving and really catching up with the rest of my hair. I did the math, and it was moisture that was missing from the equation. I basically put a little extra moisturizer on my nape at night and make sure that my satin scarf is protecting that area but not tied too tight. I might also consider relaxing my nape only every other touch up... weakening it with a relaxer is really only working against all the work I'm doing to strengthen it :perplexed

That's definitely great advice!

I have the same trouble with my Nape hair, it's soooo different from the rest of my hair and it needs specail treatment

I will start with baby steps and have my stylist just touch that area (leave relaxer on nape her for a minute or 2) with relaxer before washing it out

asubeauty

I moisturize mine with ORS Carrot oil... it's actually growing more. I have more nape hair now than in the siggy pic.

Diya

That's definitely great advice!

I have the same trouble with my Nape hair, it's soooo different from the rest of my hair and it needs specail treatment

I will start with baby steps and have my stylist just touch that area (leave relaxer on nape her for a minute or 2) with relaxer before washing it out

yeah... a quick relax might also do the trick... I think I might try that at my next relaxer... it's not like my hair's gonna be looking all that cute this winter, anyway, what with all the protective styling I'll be doing :rolleyes:

gabulldawg

My nape hair a lot shorter and dryer than the rest of my hair. I have recently joined the MN challenge and have started using MN in that area. I like the tip about putting extra moisturizer back there, and I think that I will start doing that today!

prospurr4

My nape is the most fragile area on my head. Almost 2 years ago, a large section of it broke off in a relaxer mishap, but it is growing back and some sections are almost as long as the rest of my hair. Here's how I care for my nape:

1) Make sure that it is never dry and always moisturized
2) Protect it from things that cause breakage, like low ponies secured with ouchless bands, elastic on satin bonnets, turtleneck sweaters, shirts with collars, etc.
3) Gently detangle with fingers or wide-toothed comb only on washday (weekly) while hair is still wet. Minimize manipulation as much as possible.
4) Place the relaxer on that area last.

motherx2esq

I find Nape hair very difficult to maintain.

Are you doing anything special for your nape hair? If you are please share :yep:

My nape hair is a mess!!!

I'm praying that it will grow! :lachen:

But I am in the same boat as a lot of the ladies. It's dry and breaking but I am trying to keep it moisturized and away from harsh fabrics.

WhipEffectz1

Basically......that's me in a nutshell. Its thriving right now and can't wait for it to get a little longer!

luvmesumhair

Well what I do is...

1. Keep it moisturized
2. Try not to wear any type of ponys AT ALL
3. when I get my next touch up, I will not touch up the nape area
4. When I wear my protective styles, I do not make that area tight (You can see in my Fotki how I wear them)
5. Comb that area separately!!!
6. Keep my hair in a satin scarf as well as put a satin pillow case on my pillow.

Last but not least...I am using BT and MN in that area religously!!

Right now my hair is in braids so I do not really know what it is going to look like until I flat iron it at Xmas to reveal my hair.

Last edited:

Brownie518

:yep: Oh, yes. These are the same things I have been doing. My nape actually had a bald spot but now it is catching up. I have trimmed it at least twice this year and now it's in good condition. I always keep it moisturized and make sure it is protected and handled gently. Moisture was definitely the missing link.