Relaxed ladies using weaves and wigs to reach hair goals

humility1990

Hey, I was just thinking we could share our methods on our way to our goals. Such as how long you generally wait to weave or wear wigs after a relaxer, when you utilise protein treatments and how long you wait to relax. I tried searching for something like this but haven't found a thread, but if there is one then mods please delete. Thanks:grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am wiggin' right now. I'll relax this Sunday after a 12 week stretch and be back in the Wig Wednesday when I return to work.:yep:

I normally wear my hair out on the Weekends. I co-wash twice a week (Wed/Sun) do a reconstructor or light protein with each co-wash.:yep:

I spritz, moisturize & seal twice a day. Once in the morning and once before bed-time. I wear a Men's Durag under my Wig or a Netted Wig Cap (usually the durag tho').

I did a Heavy Protein Treatment on Sunday and a Light one yesterday. I will do a mid-step protein treatment during the Relaxing Process and will also do another Protein Treatment at the 1st Wash Post Relaxer.

HTHs

SqrpioQutie

i haven't had a relaxer since i started wearing my phonies and half-wigs, but i imagine that when i do (aiming for 16 weeks - i may go longer now that i'm comfortable with half-wigs), i'll follow it up with a nice protein treatment and deep conditioning the same day..... i co-wash 4-5 days a week, so i stay pretty moisturized.... and at least once during the stretch, i do a henna treatment.....

i don't wear anything under my half-wigs... i tend to put it in a low ponytail and twist it up... my hair stays moisturized all day (it doesn't fully dry until i take it down when i get back home later that night - so that's like 12 hours of moisture a day)....

one thing i have to get back into the habit of doing is making sure i'm protecting my hair at night... i've gotten lax about that and i'd hate to have a setback due to it...

ETA: i'm 11 weeks post

Last edited:

trendsetta25

I'm currently in a weave that I plan to keep in till Aug or Mid Aug. I usually relax twice a year. After I relax, I wait 1 month before installing a new weave. I do a heavy protein treatment before and after I install my weave.

I make sure I moisturize when needed. I have a spritz bottle filled with s-curl, rose water, EVOO and peppermint oil. I spray this on my braids. I also have a applicator bottle filled with JBCO and peppermint oil that I use to oil my scalp. I wash my hair in a weave every two weeks.

I have a YT channel that shows how I moisturize while in a weave and another that shows how I installed the weave I have in now:grin:

Dommo

I am currently weaving it (technically) ....I make my own u-shaped wigs and sew it around the perimeter and "horse-shoe". Not much stress on my braids because I make my braids loose and sew loose.

I only do a protein treatment the day of my relaxer (Mizani Strengthening Gelee) and moisture conditioners any other times (Kerastase Masquintense)

I wash my hair every 10 days give or take and use a scalp toner to cleanse my scalp in between since I workout.

I don't really wait in between my relaxers because I don't have an "official" weave that damages my hair nor did I ever think it was necessary; maybe because I have pretty resilient hair.

ProfectivGirl

I am wigging it right now with my hair cornrowed underneath just so that its easy to oil my scalp (yes I still do that lol) and my hair doesnt tangle. I relaxed my hair every 12 weeks and moisturized frequently. I cowash every 3-4 days and deep condition every week which helped alot with some shedding and breakage I experienced. But one thing I truly believe is that me wearing half wigs helped alot with my HIH syndrome and with me being a PJ. Now I just leave my hair alone for the most part and I actually saw the hair growth progress. I just recently decided to try going natural because I got this horrible haircut (the stylist didnt know the different between trimming and a haircut) so my nearly shoulder length relaxed is about ear length :( but Ill continue to wear wigs until I get to my desired length because it simply works!

Sent from My Android ;)

EbonyCPrincess

I have been weaving and wigging since February with a 2 week break in the beginning of May. I had my weave installed when I was 10 weeks post and I did a protein treatment before and after. I have my hair cornrowed and have been washing and dc'ing in these cornrows. Normally after I relax I wait about 6-8 weeks, I enjoy my hair when its freshly relaxed! I have my current wig regimen on my blog:
http://longing4length.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-style-braids-n-wigs.html
Good thread. I also have a weave takedown and pre/post weave installation videos on my YT channel, but I'm not trying to plug myself...just be helpful! LOL. So I won't post those!

EbonyCPrincess

I am wigging it right now with my hair cornrowed underneath just so that its easy to oil my scalp (yes I still do that lol) and my hair doesnt tangle. I relaxed my hair every 12 weeks and moisturized frequently. I cowash every 3-4 days and deep condition every week which helped alot with some shedding and breakage I experienced. But one thing I truly believe is that me wearing half wigs helped alot with my HIH syndrome and with me being a PJ. Now I just leave my hair alone for the most part and I actually saw the hair growth progress. I just recently decided to try going natural because I got this horrible haircut (the stylist didnt know the different between trimming and a haircut) so my nearly shoulder length relaxed is about ear length :( but Ill continue to wear wigs until I get to my desired length because it simply works!

Sent from My Android ;)

THAT IS JUST HORRIBLE! I'm so sorry someone did that to you! But at least it helped you make your decision to transition!

sweetstasie

I am wearing my hair in cornrows underneath my wigs. How long should I wait to put cornrows back in after getting a relaxer and any suggestions on how to wear my hair while I'm waiting during that time period? I don't wear my hair out at all right now.