Relaxed Ladies who have figured it all out: Please post your reggie :)

cornaline

That is an interesting pre-poo with Megatek and oil. I will have to try that. I bought a bottle and it is collecting dust. I cannot seem to find any use for it and decided to try it as some kind of conditioning treatment but havent gotten around to it. Maybe that and coconut oil. hmmmm :yep:

Has anyone else tried the combo Megatek + oil for DC ? I DC twice Using MT + castor oil the first time and MT + Murmuru and mango butter le second time. I DC overnight and cond wash in the morning. This has stopped my breaking in its track. Very effective fro strong, soft hair. This is going to be stapple DC for me.

Fyne

Has anyone else tried the combo Megatek + oil for DC ? I DC twice Using MT + castor oil the first time and MT + Murmuru and mango butter le second time. I DC overnight and cond wash in the morning. This has stopped my breaking in its track. Very effective fro strong, soft hair. This is going to be stapple DC for me.

cornaline I use Megatek to prepoo with oils overnight weekly. Keeps my hair strong as I co-wash frequently. When it runs out I will try Mane + Tail condish.

cornaline

Thanks Fyne. I was wondering if that would not be too much for me to do it weekly ( I am too chicken sometimes) but was planning to try it anyway this week. I have been doing it every other week so far, but this has really kept my breakage at bay.

JJamiah

www.hairshecomes.blogspot.com
I Have a lot of my different trials and errors on there. Especially last year 2011. Not many errors. I have a lot of reviews for various products.

I wash my hair weekly; I use protein almost every week, and I always deep condition after my protein. Once every 2 months if needed I'd do a DRC treatment. Weekly I'd use Ahogee 2 minute. I use various moisturizing DC's. I don't flat iron more then 4 times a year. Most of the time I only do it 2 times. I use a wide tooth comb and my BELOVED Tangle Teezer *please use at your own risk, I have five and have had no problems.
I use Wen Fig mixed with Ginger Pumpkin right now. Before Just Wen Fig or Hair One Olive Oil. I don't shampoo more then 3 times a year. Hmmmmmm...... I am currently Transitioning but I didn't the same things when I wasn't. If you desire more info please read my blog if the answer isn't there please ask. Oh yes and my relaxed hair was in the crack of my booty so It was long and healthy, I just wanted a change because of my lifestyle change :) . Thanks :)

JudithO

Ok.. I can finally post here.

These are my staple products

Shampoo:
Kenra Clarifying Chelating Formula
Elasta QP Creme Cond Shampoo

Conditioner:
Aphogee 2 Minute
Bee Mine Beeutiful DC

Moisturizer:
Darcy's Transitioning Creme
Personal Oil Mix for sealing (2 parts coconut, 1 part olive, 1 part sunflower)

Honorable mentions:
Qhemet AOHC: Use when i cornrow for my roots deep into my stretch
Bee Mine Curly Butter - Used to smooth my edges if needed.

Reggie:

1. Once a week wash/clarify my hair (mostly moisturizing conditioner, but chelate the week after relaxer or if my hair feels gross). I always wash my hair in one direction, backing the shower.

2. While in the shower, after washing, squeeze excess water, and apply aphogee 2 minute... work it thru my hair and let it sit for 2 minutes... Rinse in the shower.. squeeze excess water.

3. To DC, apply my personal oil mix to my scalp and roots using squeeze bottle with pointed tip (keeps my NG super baby soft) and apply bee mine DC all over hair. Cover with cap for 30 minutes, rinse and airdry using silk scarf to tie down my edges. When hair is almost dry, moisturize with Darcy's Transitioning creme and seal with my oil mix. Tie down again, hair dries silky smooth.

4. Every other day, I moisturize with Darcy's Transitioning creme and seal with my oil mix.

I've retained every single inch since this new reggie... Hair is never dry... always butter soft.

I relax every 8 - 10 weeks using Mizani sensitive scalp (no lye) - I also use the honey shield to protect my ends, and base my scalp the day before/day of relaxer... I generally go to a professional for my touch ups.

sunnieb

I've figured out that I need to just go with the flow sometimes. I'm not even as concerned about length as I used to be.

I'm enjoying my hair at it's current length. It's healthy and I love it!

spellinto

About your hair - Texture? Density? Strand size?

4b/c, thick & long strands...

Do you stretch? Products that help you to stretch without damage?

Yes, I typically stretch for 3-4 months. I use a sulfate free cleanser, a moisturizing conditioner, a leave-in cream, a clarifying shampoo, oils, and smoothing gel to style. I don't use any heat on my hair until I go to the salon for my touch-up.

Please what is your cleansing, conditioning and styling regimen?

Cleansing (1x a week):
- Detangle thoroughly
- Prepoo w/oils or conditioner optional.
- Wash. Use clarifying shampoo (1x a month) or sulfate free cleanser (1x a week). Follow up with moisturizing conditioner or light protein DC.

Conditioning:
- Cowash when needed.
- Use light protein DC 1-2x a week on either dry or damp hair.
- Moisturize and seal daily or every other day.

Styling:
- Protective style 80% of the time (usually buns)
- Low manipulation 20% of the time (braidouts, single or 2 braids)

Products you can't live without?
- Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo (gives SO MUCH moisture and detangles my hair like a DREAM!)
- Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment (light protein DC, great at moisturizing AND giving slip to detangle!)
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-In (staple moisturizer)
- Fractionated coconut oil (coconut oil that doesn't freeze in cold weather...the shine is RIDICULOUS)
- Gel (currently loving Just For Me Smoothing Gel)

How great is your retention?

I rarely ever get breakage unless its something I manually caused (like combing too severely), so I'd say I retain almost all of my length. I still get split ends, but they have decreased over time as I have gotten better with my hair. I am able to retain a lot of moisture & softness as well. :yep:

Last edited:

Shifra

I posted something similar in another thread, however I wanted to share it with my relaxed haired ladies. It’s my way of thanking all you ladies on this site and pass along what works for my hair.

I started my HHJ with burnt smelling, fried, mid-neck length head of hair on July 14, 2011 after accidentally stumbling on LHCF. I must have spent 2 full days on the site (my family didn’t understand why I was glued to my laptop). I was amazed by how much I did not know about taking care of my hair despite the fact that I’ve been going to the salon regularly for 25++ years!!!). I didn't know that I shouldn't flat iron my hair 5 days a week like my friends did but only wash every 14 days. Water - what? No way!!!:nono: So I stalked and stalked and STALKED some more.:blush::look: I now feel compelled to thank all of the ladies who have shared their experiences, insight and trials & tribulations with all of us. :yep::yep::yep:
I used to think that my ultimate goal was having APL hair. I quickly realized that my ultimate goal is to have healthy, shiny hair along with length. My hair is nowhere near the beautiful natural & relaxed heads that have inspired and helped me along, but I’m proud of my achievements thus far.:yep:
Here is what I have found has helped my now grazing APL fine texlaxed strands. I purposefully will not mention who contributed to these golden nuggets of knowledge for the simple reason that I do not want to leave anyone out. To everyone who recognizes their contribution please pat yourselves on the back and accept my heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!!!

1) SELF-TEXLAX (9-10 week stretches max for me; using the sectioning method; mid-step protein)
2) WASH: Very diluted sulfate shampoo (My hair no longer seems to like cowashing); Twice a week Tues & Thurs). Every 2nd Thursday use a clarifying shampoo.
3) DC: 80% moisture 20% protein DC method after every wash (My latest mix consists of the cream mixture i.e. Joico Moisture Recovery Balm love it, love it, love it; Aussie Moist 3-Minute Miracle; ORS Replenishing Pak; Molasses; Silk Amino Acid; a splash of fractionated coconut oil)
- I layer my DC by applying the cream mixture then seal with a little bit of Castor oil; cover with platic cap and winter hat
- I do 20 minutes of zumba (fantastic for the booty and hair, I’m a multi-tasker) ;)
- Steam with my multi-purpose stand clothes steamer for 10 minutes (3 songs on my ipod ;)
- Seal the DC with a rinse out conditioner
- Rinse in shower
- 1 /month & 1 week before I touch-up I incorporate Aphogee 2 min before DC and omit the ORS
4) LOC method (I’m kicking myself for only starting this 4 months ago);
- Moisturizing spritz. In a 240 ml spray bottle I mix Aussie 3-Minute Miracle, 1 capsule vitamin E oil, SAA, 1 tsp of a ceramide oil topped with distilled water .
- A few drops of oil of choice throughout length of hair
- Dime size amount of Giovanni Direct Leave-in Cream
- ½ dime size amount of Nexxus ProMend Leave-in Treatment Crème on bottom 1/3 of hair.
5) Rollersetting with purple and greys or air drying in 4-6 braids with silk covered sponge rollers on the ends (NO BRAID/TWISTOUTS FOR ME - my ends are thanking me)
6) Protective styling to hide my ends

I very lightly finger comb and spritz my ends at night. Pincurl and sleep with a silk bonnet. I find that a good DC supplies enough moisture to keep my hair balanced for 3 days.

Honourable mentions I could not do without:
A. SAA in everything
B. Sealing with a ceramide oils (Jojoba in summer months)
C. Henna / Cassia (adding cacao powder, molasses & olive oil for more of a brown tone) – You cannot beat the shine.
D. MSM (very little shedding & great for joint pain); 500 mg/day since April 2012
E. Aloe vera juice + ceramide oil + coconut oil prepoo = magic to rehydrate rough dry hair (when needed)
F. Dusting (although I miss every ¼ inch trimmed)
G. Paying attention to my tresses and adjust whenever needed
H. Drinking lots of water daily approx 60 oz
I. Ayurvedic powders for cleansing and conditioning as of April 2013. Cleanser (1 part Shikakai + 1 part Neem + 2 parts Brahmi in 2 cups of water). 1/2 tsp total of Brahmi, Maka powders + splash Fenugreek tea + splash AVJ mix in DC. = WOW! Auyuvedic ingredients have changed every strand on my head to silky, strong, full and shiny.

Once again thank you ladies for all of your help!!!!:yep::yep::yep::yep:

The 1st pic was taken on August 29th, 2012; the last 2 pic = January 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Evolving78

i don't have it figured out, but i have learned that less is more and my hair operates well when it is free of buildup. i have very fine hair, so i can't get away from breakage, but mine i mechanical. i only comb my hair when i wash it. i don't do daily combing and brushing. i am really trying to get my hair as strong as possible. i may do a hard core protein treatment soon.

PlanetCybertron

I think I have most of what I need to know figured out.

About your hair - Texture? Density? Strand size?

My hair is on the pretty dense side. However it’s baby fine in strand size, so it can easily be compressed down, or weighed down by any type of product other than water and an embarrassingly small amount of oil to coat. Texture is very very soft and virtually weightless and feels like silk, or a very soft cotton texture when properly moisturized.

Do you stretch? Products that help you to stretch without damage?
I stretch for 6 months at a time, so I relax 2x a year. I relax bone straight out of preference.

I wouldn’t say there’s a product in particular that helps the absolute most, it’s more so just manipulating my new growth in a very gentle way, and around month 5-6, making sure it’s detangled prior to relaxing.

Please what is your cleansing, conditioning and styling regimen?

For cleansing I dilute shampoo in a spray bottle before getting into the shower and just spray my roots and scalp to cleanse then I condition. I’ll go back and forth between co-washing and soaking my hair in a peppermint and rose water mixture. I do this every day or every other day.

Deep condition 2x a week

ACV rinse as needed

Products you can't live without?
I wouldn’t say there’s a product I can’t live without as I’ve gone 6-8 months with water only washing and dealing with an oil.

But I will say that coconut oil is something I tend to have on deck.

How great is your retention?

I’d say it’s very good, since I’ve been able to grow to the length I’m currently at. I have been having problems with my lower crown area. It’s to do with how fragile my hair is and I kept thinking detangling would be something I could continue to do, but it was causing breakage out of the shower no matter how small of a section I made. I’ve switched to gentle separating/finger detangling out of the shower, and detangling under running water solely in the shower and so far it’s been helping my hair a lot and allowing my crown to back longer.

Ayesha81

I have fine hair but lots of it I wash and set my hair every week. I have a very oily scalp so i do not apply hair creams or dressings on my hair but i do occasionally use avocado oil sparingly on my edges and ends I do not use direct heat on my hair at all.

currently i am using
shampoo: Design essentials peppermint and aloe shampoo
condioner: Biolage condition balm
keracare foam wrap to rollerse my hair

Last edited: