Struggling with your relaxed hair? COME ON IN.....

JudithO

Same concept as the "Struggling Natural" thread...

I thought it would be useful for everyone struggling with their relaxed hair to come in here and get some support and help. That way, everyone, natural or relaxed, can chime in.

The intent is not to encourage anyone to go natural/go relaxed... Intent is to help you accomplish what YOU want with your hair.

If you have issues you are struggling with.. Please share...

Hair profile? E.g 4B, really fine strands, density..

Reggie and products? E.g wash and DC weekly with X, Y, and Z products

How do you style your hair? E.g I wear it out, or bun etc

What problems do you have with your hair?

abcd09

Hair profile?4b (I think, coils are smaller than a pencil), very fine, low density

Reggie and products? DC 1-2x weekly, moisturize daily. Current products are Humecto/humective for DC, AVJ, argan oil, coconut oit, vatika oil, Bee mine lustrous or a dab of conditioner for daily moisture. Airdry in ponytail set and bun

How do you style your hair? Bun

What problems do you have with your hair? Very prone to splits, relaxed or natural, therefore have problems getting past apl, too thin (genetics), and I am style challenged. I can never make it look nice. I also have a weird patch of hair that's been coarser since getting a relaxer last year. The stylist said it wasn't taking but I don't know what's wrong with it. It is poofier than the right side. I've only had one other relaxer since then

Last edited:

JudithO

abcd09 If your hair is fine... back away from the luscious... I think the protein in it causes buildup.... and breakage follows (experienced this on my hair)

You need to incorporate light protein DC's into your weekly reggie... your fine hair desperately needs it...

Can you use a light holding product for your edges and nape and scarf for it to lay flat? Make sure you clarify first before do your next DC....and before your next relaxer so it takes well.. please keep us posted.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
*crickets* judy4all The relaxed ladies got their regimens on LOCK!

abcd09 I completely agree with Judy; when I was relaxed, I barely used protein in my regimen and I could not get past APL for along time! When I did use protein, it was the hardcore Aphogee that dries into your hair; that was too much for my fine strands. I tried cholesterol conditioner; that wasn't enough! I was so frustrated until I started using a weekly reconstructor: AtOne Botanicals. I'm not sure if the product is still on the market, but it really helped my hair to retain moisture, feel softer, and finally, retain some growth.

sunnieb

:giggle:

Maybe it's just not enough of us to go around.:scratchch We're posting problems, just in other threads.

I know I missed this thread when you first posted it.

abcd09

@abcd09 If your hair is fine... back away from the luscious... I think the protein in it causes buildup.... and breakage follows (experienced this on my hair)

You need to incorporate light protein DC's into your weekly reggie... your fine hair desperately needs it...

Can you use a light holding product for your edges and nape and scarf for it to lay flat? Make sure you clarify first before do your next DC....and before your next relaxer so it takes well.. please keep us posted.
I forgot to add the light protein I use every other week or once a week! lol. I use Aphogee 2 min (I have tried others and always go back to this). It helps, but still have the same problem.

And thanks for the recommendation on dropping luscious. I keep wasting money on trying to find a good daily moisturizer :nono::nono::nono:

I've been on my HHJ for 4.5 years, have tried numerous tweaks to my regimen and products, have had several setbacks along the way, and still cannot find a good daily moisturizer.

LaidBak

Hair profile? 4B/A fine, dense

Reggie and products? DC Tues, Thurs on dry hair w/moisture; wash and protein on Sunday. Groom with liquid leave ins, oils, and butters.

How do you style your hair? I wear it out. Have yet to find a protective style that doesn't break my hair. Ironic, right?

What problems do you have with your hair? Retention. I cant seem to retain anything. Constantly dealing with setbacks.

Aggie

Hair profile? My hair is 4a/b, fine strands, medium density, slightly greying, texlaxed.

Reggie and products? I wash and DC once a week with both protein and moisture treatments. I predominantly use Keracare, Aubrey Organics conditioners, Kerastase, Pureology, and Redken. Using up all of the Moroccanoil products that I still have but will not be repurchasing.

How do you style your hair? I wear my hair cornrowed under wigs. It is too short to do anything else with it since I just had a third hair cut for the year.

What problems do you have with your hair? I have been having ssks straw-like hair, and split ends but they are okay now since the hair cut. I am happy with my hair right now but if this had been 5 days ago, I would have been very unhappy.

SSKs and split ends really are the devil. I had to go to a new stylist who knows what she was doing to undo the damage done by 2 previous stylists this year. Also, my texlax is still too tight, I want to straighten it a little more next relaxer session - although, I really like the curl pattern in my hair. I just can't deal with the SSKs anymore.

sunnieb

LaidBak - If protective styles break your hair, just keep your ends moist and sealed. I know that's hard with fine hair. Have you tried half wigs?

That bun in your avatar looks cute!

Americka

Hair profile? 4a/b, low density, fine strands, approaching BSL

Reggie and products? wash/condition/dc (protein/moisture) 2x weekly

How do you style your hair? ponytail, braidout, bun

What problems do you have with your hair? Thin edges (combating with castor oil), finding a balance between bone straight and texlaxed for my crown, does not hold a curl in the slightest bit of humidity

ChoColette

How do I air dry my thick hair? Is a daily bun OK?

Just starting and I don't know how much moisture or protein to add. And what of all the new products has protein. I need a Skype session with an expert! Lol

The list of questions go on and on.

LaidBak

@LaidBak - If protective styles break your hair, just keep your ends moist and sealed. I know that's hard with fine hair. Have you tried half wigs?

That bun in your avatar looks cute!
That's what I have resorted to. I just seal my ends every night with butter. I just have to use heat every day when I don't PS; I was really hoping I could get away from all the heat.

Thanks! The bun was from the last time my hair was really healthy, April 2010. Its been all down hill from there.

I used to wear half wigs. But the combs began to irritate my nape and crown. So I tried without the combs. That is, until the day my wig fell off in public. :lachen:

Americka

sunnieb - Yes! I purposely underprocess my hair from the edges to the crown to combat thinness. I thought about doing a corrective, but I figured I could handle it.

sunnieb

That's what I have resorted to. I just seal my ends every night with butter. I just have to use heat every day when I don't PS; I was really hoping I could get away from all the heat.

Thanks! The bun was from the last time my hair was really healthy, April 2010. Its been all down hill from there.

I used to wear half wigs. But the combs began to irritate my nape and crown. So I tried without the combs. That is, until the day my wig fell off in public. :lachen:

Oh no! :blush: See that's why I can't get with wearing wigs/weaves. :nono: I bumped a thread for you.

@sunnieb - Yes! I purposely underprocess my hair from the edges to the crown to combat thinness. I thought about doing a corrective, but I figured I could handle it.

When are you planning to relax? If you can hold out, that might be best, then just try to process as evenly as possible.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
LaidBak Do you like curl sets? Those may be easier to access your ends, wear your hair out, and not have to rely on heat everyday. (And at night, you can maintain by pincurling.) I would be bald if I had to use heat every day. :nono: And I'm sorry to hear about that wig mishap. I wouldn't trust a half-wig after that experience either!

ChoColette One of the experts came to your rescue! sunnieb has a wealth of information and she always shares it. Along with reading the newbie thread, I would take a look at my products to be sure that I had:

Shampoo (clarifying)
Conditioner (instant - moisture based)
Conditioner (instant - protein based)
Deep Conditioner (moisture based)
Leave -In (water or oil based spritz, cream, liquid, etc)

And edit, rotate, add products and techniques as you go along and learn more about your individual strands. HTH!

JudithO

abcd09

My Reggie:

2x a week...
Cowash with Giovanni SAS
DC with Shescentit Avocado on my roots and Bee mine DC on my ends (my ends are bone straight prefer the Bee mine, but my roots and new growth love the avocado)

1X a week with one wash I also use Shescentit's Okra for protein.. before the DC

I airdry by wet bunning or loose with a scarf with each wash.

I bun daily, and moisturize and seal at night...
I moisturize with Darcy's Transitioning Creme (this stuff is from heaven)
Seal with an oil mix (4 parts coconut, 1 part olive, 1 part sunflower)

Here is a video of my nightly routine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHd6FfUQaY

jazzybklyn

Hair profile? 4a or b not sure...fairly thick but I feel like my hair is thinning

Reggie and products? Co wash 2x a week w: Aussie moist, suave coconut, suave almond and Shea butter, hello hydration, Aussie 3 min, or ORS replenishing conditioner
Wash with Elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo, or ors argan oil shampoo and deep condition with joico moisture recovery, silicon mix, ORS hair mayo, or Elasta qp DPR+11 once a week
Apply NTM leave silk touch leave in and seal w/ coconut oil. I sometimes spray on aphogee pro-vitamin. I roller set every 2 weeks and use BB foam wrapping lotion

How do you style your hair? Bun or out using silk wrap method

What problems do you have with your hair? Drying, thinning ends, split ends ugh. My hair grows fast I NEED to retain all my length...help! Please

Last edited:

NaiyaAi

I'm mostly 4a, but I have a patch of 3c hair in the back.

Every Sunday, I wash with Pantene Breakage to Strength Shampoo (doesn't do much for breakage but it makes my hair feel pretty moisturized), followed by a rosemary tea/Crece Pelo DC-sometimes under the dryer, sometimes not. Then I apply NTM and rollerset. During the rest of the week, I moisturize with ORS Hairepair Intense Moisture Creme, and use CD Some of Marguerite's Magic on my ends and edges.

Most of the time I have my hair in a chopstick bun, but sometimes I will wear it out or bust out the banana clip that I just had to have when I saw it at CVS instead of waiting to get it cheaper from the BSS. :ohwell:

My biggest problem is PATIENCE. I had a minor setback a couple of months ago, when I first started my HHJ. I loaded my hair with protein thinking it would stop the breakage when really my hair hates protein and loves moisture. My rollersets don't come out as smooth as they should because I don't take as much care with rolling the sides as I do with the mohawk in the middle, which causes bends in the strand, leading to... Yep. More breakage. Sometimes, if I wait until right before bed, I don't section my hair like I should before applying moisturizer because I'm just so eager to get into my bed.

JudithO

Hair profile? 4B/A fine, dense

Reggie and products? DC Tues, Thurs on dry hair w/moisture; wash and protein on Sunday. Groom with liquid leave ins, oils, and butters.

How do you style your hair? I wear it out. Have yet to find a protective style that doesn't break my hair. Ironic, right?

What problems do you have with your hair? Retention. I cant seem to retain anything. Constantly dealing with setbacks.

I assume you are using moisture after your protein on Sunday... as you should always follow the protein with moisture..

Bunning causes you setbacks? Are you bunning too tight? Leaving your hair out may be causing you all your retention.. The next time you wash, can you clarify before you protein DC... so you have a fresh palette...

Hair profile? My hair is 4a/b, fine strands, medium density, slightly greying, texlaxed.

Reggie and products? I wash and DC once a week with both protein and moisture treatments. I predominantly use Keracare, Aubrey Organics conditioners, Kerastase, Pureology, and Redken. Using up all of the Moroccanoil products that I still have but will not be repurchasing.

How do you style your hair? I wear my hair cornrowed under wigs. It is too short to do anything else with it since I just had a third hair cut for the year.

What problems do you have with your hair? I have been having ssks straw-like hair, and split ends but they are okay now since the hair cut. I am happy with my hair right now but if this had been 5 days ago, I would have been very unhappy.

SSKs and split ends really are the devil. I had to go to a new stylist who knows what she was doing to undo the damage done by 2 previous stylists this year. Also, my texlax is still too tight, I want to straighten it a little more next relaxer session - although, I really like the curl pattern in my hair. I just can't deal with the SSKs anymore.

Relaxing straighter may help... please let us know how it goes...

How do I air dry my thick hair? Is a daily bun OK?

Just starting and I don't know how much moisture or protein to add. And what of all the new products has protein. I need a Skype session with an expert! Lol

The list of questions go on and on.

lol... Airdrying... This is how I do it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pj4tm5GG0&feature=g-user-u

Sometimes I wet bun... I think that wet bunning may be better for you since your hair is thick... In the shower, using a large comb, comb your hair while rinsing out conditioner into a bun, with water running the sections you are combing, and put in a firm but not too tight bun. Scarf the bun and let the end dry loose... When 70% dry, take down the bun, use your leave in, seal, re-bun, and scarf till dry.

Hair profile? 4a or b not sure...fairly thick but I feel like my hair is thinning

Reggie and products? Co wash 2x a week w: Aussie moist, suave coconut, suave almond and Shea butter, hello hydration, Aussie 3 min, or ORS replenishing conditioner
Wash with Elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo, or ors argan oil shampoo and deep condition with joico moisture recovery, silicon mix, ORS hair mayo, or Elasta qp DPR+11 once a week
Apply NTM leave silk touch leave in and seal w/ coconut oil. I sometimes spray on aphogee pro-vitamin. I roller set every 2 weeks and use BB foam wrapping lotion

How do you style your hair? Bun or out using silk wrap method

What problems do you have with your hair? Drying, thinning ends, split ends ugh. My hair grows fast I NEED to retain all my length...help! Please

I don't see any clarifying shampoo in your products... your cowashing conditioners may be causing buildup...

MystiqueBabe

Hair profile? I really have no clue, all the hair typing or knowing whether my hair is fine or medium just doesnt make sense to me. sorry I am not much help. I am a type 4 if anything.

Reggie and products? Wash 1-2x a week, dc once a week, co-wash 1-2x a week, M&S once a day or ever other day.

For Washing: head and shoulders smooth & sliky shampoo, creme of nature argan oil shampoo, shea moisture shampoo (havent used it yet).
For Clarfying - Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo

CoWashing - HE LTR, aussie 3 min, aphogee 2 min,
DC- CoN moisture extreme condish along with the argan oil condish, ORS hair mayo
Moisturize - shea moisture DC masque(I use it to moisturize), elasta qp olive oil & mango butter
Oils - Olive and castor

How do you style your hair? I bun but I am looking to wear it out more. I really cant do much with my hair, I rarely comb my hair and started laying off the heat.

What problems do you have with your hair? I really am looking for advice on how to get my hair to move or have body. My hair just sits there for the most part and has very little body. What can I do to make it have more body?

Last edited: