Relaxed to Texlax transitioners

leleepop

Do you consider this a transition because of the difference in texture? Do you cut you ends off or a BC? Is you texture different or the same? Is your hair noticebly thicker or not a difference? Can you wear a wash and go? I ask because my hair is more of a natural texture and I feel like Im also going through a transition and sometimes tempted to do a big chop. I dont think Ill be doing the bc, because I dont want to lose my length and my ends are healthy but thinner that the texlax parts.

Iansan

I have been textlaxing for about a year now. I do notice a difference in thickness between the textlaxed sections of my hair and the relaxed ends. My hair is already pretty thick so it's not that noticeable. I find with the telaxing, i need a touch up even sooner, at about eight weeks. When I have a lot of new growth the difference between the three textures is more apparent. I wore a wash and go almost everyday this summer. I don't think I ever could before, but then again I never tried.

leleepop

Its a BIG difference for me because before I started this hair thing I was relaxing my hair every 4 to five weeks... I received 10 of more relaxers in the year 2005 so needless to say my hair was beyond bone str8 lol. My first stetch was 14 weeks and let me tell you.... I still have some curls. This is the first time in my life I have dealt with my natural texture and I think once I'm fully texlaxed I will seriously consider going natural or relaxing only twice a year. I guess I wanted to dicuss because BELEIVE me Im going trough something, and was wondering if some of the other ladies feel the same.:look:

goldensensation

Yep. I trimmed, mini-chopped, and deep trimmed until I got rid of all of the relaxed ends. They looked pathetic compared to the rest.

leleepop

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
what is the difference between relaxed and telax? Call me silly, but I really don't know:confused:
Im sorry I didnt realize you are a newbie. Texlax is when you dont relax your hair bone str8 and leave some texture or natural pattern. Most people who are texlaxed stretch their relaxer 8 to 12 weeks or more. IMHO I feel if you stretch...your relaxers have a better chance of remaining texlaxed which to ME is a sign of health.

leleepop said:
Im sorry I didnt realize you are a newbie. Texlax is when you dont relax your hair bone str8 and leave some texture or natural pattern. Most people who are texlaxed stretch their relaxer 8 to 12 weeks or more. IMHO I feel if you stretch...your relaxers have a better chance of remaining texlaxed which to ME is a sign of health.

Thanks for the clarification:D

nubiangoddess3

I'm going to start Texlax. I'm waiting for six month of new growth before I but a relaxer in my hair.
How long did you guys wait before you started texlaxing

leleepop

My first stretch was 14 weeks,second,9 weeks, third 111/2 weeks, my fourth is in Oct.16 weeks

Last edited:

InJesusName

I just got my first texlax yesterday after a six month stretch. I do understand the pain of dealing with your natural hair texture because I had been relaxing every six to eight weeks for 18 years:eek: . Unfortunately, my scalp burned pretty bad this time (she did not base me properly), so I am going to have to FORCE myself to stretch for 12 weeks no matter how thick my hair gets (hey, I made it 6 months before!). For me, anything past about 12-16 weeks will be too long to stretch in the future (my hair looked a HOT MESS after 6 months). I did cut off about 2 inches of the relaxed portion of the hair which was also damaged by braids. We'll see what happens!

gradygirl

I started texlaxing after being natural a couple of years and I love it, The only problem I have is the tangling but I'm working on that.

gradygirl

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
how long do you leave the relaxer in when you telax?
The last relaxer I used was Mizani for fine/color treated hair and it burned the fire out of me. I left it on for about 12 to 15 minutes because my hair is very resistant. Next time I'm going to use Silk Elements in mild because I hear that does not burn at all. I'm still experimenting with getting the results I want.

goldensensation

nubiangoddess3 said:
I'm going to start Texlax. I'm waiting for six month of new growth before I but a relaxer in my hair.
How long did you guys wait before you started texlaxing

I went a whole yr without a relaxer and only bunned.

Southernbella.

leleepop said:
Do you consider this a transition because of the difference in texture? Do you cut you ends off or a BC? Is you texture different or the same? Is your hair noticebly thicker or not a difference? Can you wear a wash and go? I ask because my hair is more of a natural texture and I feel like Im also going through a transition and sometimes tempted to do a big chop. I dont think Ill be doing the bc, because I dont want to lose my length and my ends are healthy but thinner that the texlax parts.

I don't consider it a transition. The textures are different (I only have about 4 inches of texlaxed so far), but not different enough for me to want to BC or trim. When I have a fresh rollerset, the bone straight part is really silky and shiny, while the texlaxed part is more textured and doesn't shine quite as much. I usually just flat iron that part and it all matches up just fine.

Southernbella.

ThickHair said:
You have to grow out the relaxed hare to texlax. Once the hair is straight it can't go to texlax.

You can texlax the newgrowth. Tha's why the OP asked if it's considered a transition, since you would have 2 different textures.

leleepop

lauren450 said:
I don't consider it a transition. The textures are different (I only have about 4 inches of texlaxed so far), but not different enough for me to want to BC or trim. When I have a fresh rollerset, the bone straight part is really silky and shiny, while the texlaxed part is more textured and doesn't shine quite as much. I usually just flat iron that part and it all matches up just fine.
I flat iron my roots also ,but I was wondering about once I get all the str8 ends off......Its soooo different for me. I think its cause I was relaxing every four to five weeks.I really banged my hair into submission lol. How long were you relaxing b4?

MizaniMami

I have transitioned to texlax.

Not on pupose though. :lol: At first I wanted to, then I couldn't deal with the tangles and tried to relax bone straight again and my hair wasn't having it.

So I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair compared to the rest. Doesn't bother me because when I flat iron my hair still gets bone straight.

But the bone straight ends look too pathetic while wet. I don't think I will eventually cut them off though.

At first texlaxing was hard because of the tangles. But once the texlaxed part got longer than 2 inches it is easier to comb and I don't have as much problems with it. I think I'll stay texlaxed for good.

leleepop

Maybe I just need to be pateint. This will be my 5th texlax and now my hair is resistant.....hopefully by next texlax I can see waz up. Hopefully after it grows out enough I can sport a wash and go. I swear compared to my bone str8 hair this stuff is natural. lol

Southernbella.

leleepop said:
I flat iron my roots also ,but I was wondering about once I get all the str8 ends off......Its soooo different for me. I think its cause I was relaxing every four to five weeks.I really banged my hair into submission lol. How long were you relaxing b4?

I used to get relaxed every 4-5 weeks as well, bone straight. I'm with you...the texlaxed part is really different!

I have transitioned to texlax.

Not on pupose though. At first I wanted to, then I couldn't deal with the tangles and tried to relax bone straight again and my hair wasn't having it.

So I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair compared to the rest. Doesn't bother me because when I flat iron my hair still gets bone straight.

But the bone straight ends look too pathetic while wet. I don't think I will eventually cut them off though.

At first texlaxing was hard because of the tangles. But once the texlaxed part got longer than 2 inches it is easier to comb and I don't have as much problems with it. I think I'll stay texlaxed for good.

I didn't know you were texlaxing now! My hair is the same when wet. The bone straight part looks like it's about to fall right off compared to the texlaxed part, but once it's all dry, it's fine.

Last edited:

MizaniMami

lauren450 said:
I used to get relaxed every 4-5 weeks as well, bone straight. I'm with you...the texlaxed part is really different!

I didn't know you were texlaxing now! My hair is the same when wet. The bone straight part looks like it's about to fall right off compared to the texlaxed part, but once it's all dry, it's fine.

Yeah girl, it's the gift and the curse.:lol: But I finally learned to accept it. It's like a whole nother head of hair.

leleepop

lauren450 said:

Ok.... I think Ill be a little more patient,Ive already cut 2 1/2 inches last month and at this rate Ill be bald. Its not breaking so I need to calm down.I always get a little antsy after I get about 7 weeks post.

Isis

I haven't considered texlaxing a transition, it's just a relaxing technique. When I started, which was just 3 years ago on this board, "texlax" wasn't even a word yet. I just decided to leave the relaxer on for 1/2 the usual time after doing it by "accident" once. I liked the results and just continued it. No BC or anything was necessary and I don't flat iron my roots. I stretch at least 13 weeks each time.:)