Relaxer Burn ouch!

kbragg

Ok, so last night I touched up with Motions (I'm really starting to not like it but can't get rid of it...hate wasting money:ohwell:) and got BURNED!! I was doing fine until my arms got tired, then I started sweating and the fiya started!:eek: Well now at my nape the hair is very hard. Not sure if it's the over/under processing of Motions or the Apogee. Good news is my breakage has ceased!!! So what do I do now for my poor scalp?

I don't know about this lye thing:( When I did no lye, I would burn occasionally (let's not talk about the no lye abuse of relaxing from roots to ends each time!:eek:) but always got straight hair! Both times with motions I didn't like the results compared to the cheapy Africa's Best. Hey it was 5 bucks and though my hair was like straw, it was straight!

I have no edges unfortunately because of no lye (growing in though thanks to MTG:D) and don't want breakage but at the same time, I don't want burning either.

Cathy Howze recommends Affirm Fibergaurd for sensative scalp. Any experience with this relaxer? Any lye relaxers that get the hair straight without burning like Motions? Thanks in advance:)

mrsmeredith

I never cared for motions, it does burn like crap. Normally perms never burn me but motions burned for no reason at all. Just to make sure it wasn't just me, I tried it on my daughters and niece and man oh man. So yes I wasted a whole bucked because I can't deal with burning.

preciousjewel76

Awwww, sorry to hear this, relaxer burn is never a good thing. I know I've been there!:(

I haven't tried Affirm Fiberguard, so I can't recommend it, but maybe a sensitive scalp relaxer would be better for you. Also, some ladies have recommended the "half-and-half" method of self-relaxing (I think lonei has it in her Fotki). In this method, you relax one half of your head, neutralize, and then relax the other half. That way, you aren't letting relaxer stay on your whole head for too long and you reduce your risk of burning.

Good luck!

comike

Affirm has a scalp protector called Affirm Gentle Assurance Sensitive Scalp Protector. It's applied to your scalp before applying the relaxer. I've used it in the past with Motions or other relaxers. I can say that I have no burns when using this product.

gymfreak336

I can't stand motions:mad: :mad: Personally, I think motions is low on the relaxer totem pole. I have used mizani sensitive scalp before with no problems. Try another lye relaxer. Design Essentials, silk elements (in mild) all worked well for me. I got relaxed with design essentials last time and no burning. I also oil my scalp with coconut oil 2 days before my relaxer and base right before to make sure I was covered.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I never get burns with Motions mild or when I used the regular. I don't scratch the day before or the same day of relaxing. I always base my scalp with vaseline, and the relaxer stays on for about 25 minutes. My scalp must be really tough, huh? :lol:

If Motions ever fails, I'll probably try Silk Elements because of the good reviews on the forum.

LocksOfLuV

When an area of my hair is hard, I found that it was actually scabs where my hair was actually stuck to them:eek: . The last relaxer I had (Silk Elements) I burned so badly, that i had scabs that lasted for 4-5 weeks. Um ummmmmm. I switched back to no lye and I am NEVER going back.

Relaxed with ORS this weekend and it was a verrry pleasant experience. No burning, tingling, itching, NOTHING. And my hair is soft and silky afterwards.

preciousjewel76

LocksOfLuV said:
When an area of my hair is hard, I found that it was actually scabs where my hair was actually stuck to them:eek: .

I've had those before, too....not fun.

(And don't be scarin' me with a Silk Elements story! I'm using that for my touch-up next month!;) )

LocksOfLuV

preciousjewel76 said:
I've had those before, too....not fun.

(And don't be scarin' me with a Silk Elements story! I'm using that for my touch-up next month!;) )

:lol: Sowwy! But it seems like I was the only person who burned with Silk Elements, but you'll pribably like it.

glamazon386

Motions didn't do anything for my hair either when I was relaxed. And it burned. When I switched hairdressers she said Motions was crap and not to use it anymore. Affirm got my hair too straight and made my already fine hair stringy and limp. I used Mizani for the last year and a half that I was relaxed and my hair finally started to grow. And when I wet it, it would crinkle up. It was Mizani from then on out. It was the best change I ever made for my relaxed hair..

kbragg

OT: Bmoreflyygirl you are soooo pretty!:) You have so many differents looks it's crazy! You remind me of "Regina" on "Living Single.";) (That's a complement FYI)

glamazon386

kbragg said:
OT: Bmoreflyygirl you are soooo pretty!:) You have so many differents looks it's crazy! You remind me of "Regina" on "Living Single.";) (That's a complement FYI)

Aww thanks! :kiss: lol I get that a lot. I gotta keep em guessing! ;) It's funny bc people never recognize me when I'm out and about once I change my hair. I have to take my shades off before they realize it's me. :lachen: