Relaxer Prep Help Needed NOW!!

Jalen's Mom

I'm 14 weeks post, and I'm scheduled to get a relaxer tomorrow. However, my scalp is hurting. I've had this recurring problem as I try to stretch my relaxers. I just washed and DC's on Sunday, so I think my scalp is pretty clean. Would it be a bad idea to co-wash tonight? Can I put something on my scalp to soothe it without causing major burning tomorrow? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I honestly feel like I have the tightest of ponytails in, but my hair is in a loose bun with a scrunchy. :nono:

TIA for your help!

msa

That tightness of scalp does not sound normal. Nor does it sound like the result of regular hair growth.

I suggest you hold off on relaxing and go in to see a dermatologist.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
If you're not going to hold off: What do you usually base your scalp with before you go? When I was going to the Salon, I would base mine with some type of oil (Hair Grease) before I went to the Salon.:grin:

Because I never felt I was based well there, so I made sure I always did it at home too as a precaution. Because I have a Sensitive Scalp.:ohwell:

And inevitably, my scalp would always "itch" like crazy the night before my Salon Service.:wallbash:

I would not Co-Wash tonight or do any unnnecessary manipulation. I have Summit's Sensitive Scalp Treatment (which is a Scalp Base anyway). But I am sure you could use any heavier oil (hair grease, hair dress, vaseline whatever you have on hand) to base your scalp. Nothing with Sulfur tho' and I probably wouldn't use anything with Menthol or Stimulating that would open my Pores.:nono:

Jalen's Mom

If you're not going to hold off: What do you usually base your scalp with before you go? When I was going to the Salon, I would base mine with some type of oil (Hair Grease) before I went to the Salon.:grin:

Because I never felt I was based well there, so I made sure I always did it at home too as a precaution. Because I have a Sensitive Scalp.:ohwell:

And inevitably, my scalp would always "itch" like crazy the night before my Salon Service.:wallbash:

I would not Co-Wash tonight or do any unnnecessary manipulation. I have Summit's Sensitive Scalp Treatment (which is a Scalp Base anyway). But I am sure you could use any heavier oil (hair grease, hair dress, vaseline whatever you have on hand) to base your scalp. Nothing with Sulfur tho' and I probably wouldn't use anything with Menthol or Stimulating that would open my Pores.:nono:

I really need this relaxer, so I'm going to take my chances. I normally let my stylist base my scalp, but I'm going to a new person, so I hope all goes well. I think I'll actually throw on some vaseline. I'll pick up some of that Summit's Sensitive Scalp Treatment for next time.

I was trying to figure out why my scalp was so sensitive, and I had a moment of clarity. I think I'm over-manipulating my thick NG without proper moisture. I'm combing through it, and it's really wearing on my scalp. Now, I'm wondering if my scalp can take a relaxer tomorrow. :wallbash:

Last edited:

dachsies_rule!

Please, please do not wash your hair the day before a relaxer :nono:! I did that before and seriously regretted it...the moment that chemical hit my scalp it was on FIRE :gotroasted: She couldn't even complete the process it was burning so bad.

You will end up not getting the relaxer finished and having to wait a few weeks before attempting another.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I had a moment of clarity. I think I'm over-manipulating my thick NG without proper moisture. I'm combing through it, and it's really wearing on my scalp. Now, I'm wondering if my scalp can take a relaxer tomorrow. :wallbash:

That is probably it. Girl, when I was 14 weeks post, I hardly touched my hair at all except to keep it saturated with Moisturizing products. I only finger combed it as a way to detangle it and keep the NG from loc'ing around the relaxed hair.:drunk:

But I did very little manipulation once I passed 10 weeks. Except keeping it moisturized and using my fingers to keep it detangled.

Let us know how it works out. *And don't forget to apply an extra base at home, especially since you have been combing through it.

Jalen's Mom

Let us know how it works out. *And don't forget to apply an extra base at home, especially since you have been combing through it.

Thanks for the support ladies. I don't know what I'd do without cha! I'll definitely base my scalp tonight, and I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. :yep:

dachsies_rule - I promise not to wash tonight! :yep: