Relaxer Stretching and Length

newbeginnings2010

Relaxing less has led to me retaining more length, but I'm afraid to lengthen my stretches to any longer than six months. I don't want to lose all of my progress because I decide to try pushing it from six to ten months.

sunnieb

I relax less often now that my hair is longer.

I can get away with throwing my hair in a bun, ponytail, or braidout and still look pretty decent. Also, now that I'm a self-relaxer I don't get in any hurry to relax since I don't have to worry about somebody ripping through my newgrowth.

I currently stretch for 14 weeks. I used to be a monthly relaxer. :blush:

shasha8685

I relax less. The longer I stretch, the more I find that I can bun it, phony pony it, wig it, etc. until I'm good and ready to relax.

I relax every 12-16 weeks (4x a year). Before my journey, I used to relax every 4 to 5 weeks, faithfully. I have come a long way....

chasturner84

Since my hair is longer, I can easily stretch my relaxers with buns or wearing a ponytail or whatever. I typically get 3 relaxers a year but I'm 4 months into my 1st 6 month stretch. Everything is going smoothly so far.

D.Lisha

I'm a firm believer that as my hair gets longer, I will stay tried and true to relaxing at 12 weeks post.
My hair just can't take anytime past 12 weeks....:nono:
More than 12weeks post= Tangle/Dry CITY!

MariposaSexyGirl

Well, I do relax a lot less now that my hair is longer. 1-2 times a year. I've always stretched relaxers since I first got one(never was a 1x a month relaxing person), but never went this long until a few years ago.

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I tend to relax less, not necessarily because my hair has grown, but because I enjoy stretching. I also hate the relaxer process and would prefer to stretch out my time between touchups.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm learning how to perfect stretching. Use to be every 6 weeks. Progressed to 8 weeks. Joined LHCF and decided to stretch to 16 weeks. :nono: Breakage and breakage and breakage. 10 weeks seems to be the sweet spot. In a few months, I will add one week (for example, stretch to 11 weeks) and hold it there for a while, then add another week (stretch to 12 weeks), etc until I can stretch for longer. Everyone can stretch, not everyone can stretch without adverse effects. I'm trying to learn how to stretch without adverse effects.

~NanCeBoTwin~

When I first joined the boards, stuck at SL for years, I relaxed every 8-9 weeks. Since my first stretch (39 weeks), I relax at a minimum of 16 weeks, and a maximum of whatever I can take.

beans4reezy

Before joining this site, I used to relax every 3 or 4 months...now, it's once a year. Stretching has done great things from my hair...just speaking from a time management perspective- I could never relax every six weeks even if I wanted to.

JJamiah

Before I joined the site I was MBL/WL and I relaxed every 8 months. I cut my hair and when I did relax it was every 4 months for a while. As my hair gets longer again I will now changed it up to every 6 months. :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm subbing for future use. When I do relax, I will stretch 6 months. I've done so in the past and I know I can do it again.

prospurr4

Relaxed ladies: As your hair gets longer, do you tend to relax more or less often?

During my hair journey, the amount of time I stretch has varied, not based on hair length (started at about NL, now almost WL), but on how much new growth I have since my last touchup.

For example, during the summer months, my hair tends to grow faster compared to other months of the year (for various reasons), so I may "stretch" no longer than 7-8 weeks post.

TLC1020

As my hair grows longer I am able to stretch longer.. With more hair I am able to hide the new growth that come in...

back2relaxed

The longer my hair, the longer I can stretch. I always relaxed at 10-12 weeks, anything longer was a disaster for my hair. Now that I have a pixie cut a stretch for me is 8 weeks!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm thinking that I will purposely go 8 weeks from now on until I get closer to goal and once my hair has the weight of BSL/MBL then I'll start stretching longer....then again maybe not because to see BSL/MBL broken hairs on the floor will be depressing:grin:

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I'm thinking that I will purposely go 8 weeks from now on until I get closer to goal and once my hair has the weight of BSL/MBL then I'll start stretching longer....then again maybe not because to see BSL/MBL broken hairs on the floor will be depressing:grin:

Wow like less than 2 months later I have a completely different perspective:spinning: I am now 10 weeks, co washing regularly and planning on going to 16 weeks:yep:

MissMusic

I relax less often, I am happy with 6 months. As my hair gets longer, that six months gets easier and easier.