Relaxers and Ayurvedics

Platinum

Hi everyone. For those of you that use the Ayurvedic powders, I have a few questions. I did an ayurvedic co-wash a few days ago. How long after using the powders should I wait before I relax my hair? Also, can I use Henna and Indigo immediately after relaxing or should I wait?

TIA

jamaraa

I'd wait about 1 week from the time of the last powder use. You want to make sure you have no irritation and chance of bad chemical interactions. As for the henna/indigo, you can do it before relaxing (the week thing) or wait until after. Just make sure you don't do it if your post relaxed scalp has issues until those issues are healed. Remember no acid is necessary for the henna, but NEVER before a relaxer or immediately after. (ouch city)

Oh yeah. you can keep using plain (uninfused) oils as you normally use oils before and after you relax. Stay away from the herbal infusions just like I say above, but use them in between.

Last edited:

Platinum

Okay, thanks! I'm new to Ayurvedic powders and I just wanted to make sure that using these before or after relaxers wouldn't cause problems.:look:

Platinum

Bump!

I find two brands of henna that are suitable for dyeing hair black at the Indian store the other day. Has anyone used these?

They both contain Henna, Brahmi, Shakakai, and Amla.

jamaraa

Did the package say anything about "indigofera tinctoria" ? I'm familiar w/ the 1st brand, but only as a red henna. If neither had the word "indigofera tinctoria"...forget about it. You might be getting PPD which ain't good.

The one "store brand" of "black henna" I recommend is "Zarqua" brand it's green w/ a woman on the box showing off her lovely black tresses and it's country of origin is Pakistan. If you're going to buy it in the store, by this brand.

Platinum...here's my general rule, when I go to the Indian store I almost never buy a "Made In India" brand, I go for the "Made In Pakistan" brands because they usually don't tamper w/ the product. You get what you're paying for. Since the stores always carry a least a few brands, you can try out my system. Jamila is a Pakistani product and you can't go wrong w/ them or w/ Zarqua.

Platinum

Did the package say anything about "indigofera tinctoria" ? I'm familiar w/ the 1st brand, but only as a red henna. If neither had the word "indigofera tinctoria"...forget about it. You might be getting PPD which ain't good.

The one "store brand" of "black henna" I recommend is "Zarqua" brand it's green w/ a woman on the box showing off her lovely black tresses and it's country of origin is Pakistan. If you're going to buy it in the store, by this brand.

Platinum...here's my general rule, when I go to the Indian store I almost never buy a "Made In India" brand, I go for the "Made In Pakistan" brands because they usually don't tamper w/ the product. You get what you're paying for. Since the stores always carry a least a few brands, you can try out my system. Jamila is a Pakistani product and you can't go wrong w/ them or w/ Zarqua.

I'll have to check out the packages to see what they say. Thanks for your help!

Platinum

Bump!

I find two brands of henna that are suitable for dyeing hair black at the Indian store the other day. Has anyone used these?

They both contain Henna, Brahmi, Shakakai, and Amla.

I noticed that some relaxers have a warning label against using them with compound henna. Are these products considered "Compound Henna"?