Relaxers and MT/OCT

LaidBak

I am on my 3rd week of OCT/MT use. My new growth is off the charts! I am trying to wait until Dec 27 for my next relaxer (that will make a first ever 6 week stretch). My question is this: Do I need to stop the use of OCT/MT prior to relaxing? If so, for how long before? Any steps I need to take in between--extra DCing, porosity treatments, etc? I've got super fine, dense hair that used to break off really bad. I want to do this right. TIA Ladies!

jazzzmoods

Thank you for this post. I am stretching for the time and also doing the MT Challenge for December. I want to switch to Phyto for my next relaxer and have been wondering the same thing! THANK YOU!!!

Jumping in but don't have an solution (smile)

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If I was you, I would stop using MT a week b4 your relaxer.

OT: Do u experience itching from using MT, because I get really bad itching on my scalp :ohwell: If so what do you do about it?

LaidBak

If I was you, I would stop using MT a week b4 your relaxer.

OT: Do u experience itching from using MT, because I get really bad itching on my scalp :ohwell: If so what do you do about it?

OK A week sounds reasonable.
The only itching I have experienced is the normal scalp tingle that happens when my hair has a growth spurt. I used to get a little scalp tingle about 3 weeks post. I'd give my head a good massage and I'd know that in a few days I'd have a bunch of new growth. Its been the same with MT/OCT. Other than that I have felt nothing on my scalp.

star

Rule of thumb is always do protein conditioners before and after relaxer so MT should resume after that. You may thing during relaxing time is strength not growth although your hair will have the effects of the MT several weeks later when you resume.

sqzbly1908

I start back using my MT about a week after my relaxer. I treat my MT like a protein condish and it is not wise to use a protein condish soon after a relaxer as it may cause some reversion. However, I have used my MT up until the day of my relaxer - no ill effects.

HTH

flowinlocks

I stopped using MT/OCT about 2days before I relax with no problems SCALP ONLY!!!! On touch up day, I rinse the relaxer from my hair , apply either MT/OCT to rinsed hair , wait a few minutes, rinse again, neutralize, then dc. I resume using it again on my scalp about 2 to 3 days after my touchup........Never had any problems.

flowinlocks

I am on my 3rd week of OCT/MT use. My new growth is off the charts! I am trying to wait until Dec 27 for my next relaxer (that will make a first ever 6 week stretch). My question is this: Do I need to stop the use of OCT/MT prior to relaxing? If so, for how long before? Any steps I need to take in between--extra DCing, porosity treatments, etc? I've got super fine, dense hair that used to break off really bad. I want to do this right. TIA Ladies!

:blush: How often do you relax???????

LaidBak

:blush: How often do you relax???????

Using it before neutralizing--Interesting!
Well, when I came to the board I was relaxing every 4 weeks. The Ladies quickly educated me and I promised to try and make it to 6. I don't know though, I'm at 3 weeks and 5 days with MUCH more new growth than I ever had before. I am struggling to make it.

flowinlocks

Using it before neutralizing--Interesting!
Well, when I came to the board I was relaxing every 4 weeks. The Ladies quickly educated me and I promised to try and make it to 6. I don't know though, I'm at 3 weeks and 5 days with MUCH more new growth than I ever had before. I am struggling to make it.

This was my issue as well (learning how to stretch) however I NEVER did every 4 wks.:nono: I would do at least 8. I'm a type 4a/b so I KNOW it gets hard to tame the beast called ng:lachen:, but if you can conquer this your hair will thank you, I just came off a 12 wk. stretch, I will not go longer than this because if the shedding & knotting. I will say cowashing help TREMENDOUSLY the closer it got to touch up time, especially since I couldn't get a comb through the dry hair. I would cowash, lightly detangle with wide toothed comb, apply my MT/OCT , whatever oil I wanted to my scalp ( usually an Ayurvedic ) moisturize ends & seal with oil. Then I would put it in a pony & tuck the ends under & tie down with scarf, the next morning I would reapply moisture to the ends. THIS IS ESSENTIAL when using MT/OCT to balance out the protein & to keep ends from being dry & popping off during the stretching process. I will NOT attempt to comb my hair at this point, just slick it back in the original pony & apply a fake bun. We are so use to how the hair feels when it's straight. After 4wks. be prepared to getting use to it being au natural......... Using something heavy to help hold the edges down & scarfing at night really helped. Some Ladies SWEAR by the QP Mango Butter. HTH

Last edited:

LaidBak

. I will say cowashing help TREMENDOUSLY the closer it got to touch up time,

Then I would put it in a pony & tuck the ends under & tie down with scarf,

...just slick it back in the original pony & apply a fake bun.

Some Ladies SWEAR by the QP Mango Butter. HTH

OK now! I must be on the right track. You've described my reegie to a T! I wash or cowash every other day. I bought myself a fake bun to wear to work. I use the scarf method to get my hairline smooth and I cover my entire scalp (and ends) with EQP Mango butter.

I have to admit, my NG is softer because of this new reggie. I can't keep my fingers out of it. But its hard to get my hair back to "cute". I mean, if I really had to go somewhere and look fly I'd have some issue getting my hair to cooperate.

flowinlocks

OK now! I must be on the right track. You've described my reegie to a T! I wash or cowash every other day. I bought myself a fake bun to wear to work. I use the scarf method to get my hairline smooth and I cover my entire scalp (and ends) with EQP Mango butter.

I have to admit, my NG is softer because of this new reggie. I can't keep my fingers out of it. But its hard to get my hair back to "cute". I mean, if I really had to go somewhere and look fly I'd have some issue getting my hair to cooperate.

Lol see that's just it, I came to the conclusion if I need to be cute before my time is up to relax, I must wear a wig if I need too. Sigh.... after 8 wks. I don't worry about it, cause all I can think about is how much ng I have and how much thicker it will be from stretching. We can be a little cute now & baby our hair . THEN be SUPERCUTE later when it's swanging!!!!:lachen:but besides the stretching it sounds like you're on the right track, keep it up & don't give in till a least 8 wks. your hair will thank you!!!!:yep: