Relaxing Issues in a foreign country

falloutti

Hello All,

I joined this forum back in 2003 because of my sister, but I'm active now. I recently moved overseas in Aug 06 and because of the constant moving related to my job (military), I am always looking for a new beautician every 2 or 3 years. So far, I've tried two people. The first person was ok. She used some type of liquid product that he said would prevent overlapping. She used designer essentials sensitive scalp and it was ok, but I wasn't thrilled with her. I had a relaxer shipped from the States, Paul Mitchell Regular and I hoped that would work, but it didn't. I tried a different person and she put the relaxer in differently from what I am used to. She placed the relaxer on my hair, but didn't touch the root of the hair. She let it sit for 5 minutes, then she put more relaxer on, but this time she let the relaxer touch the root of hair. She let it sit for 5 more minutes and then she sectioned my hair into four sections and started combing the relaxer through the new growth, but some of the relaxer was half way through my hair and I was at 8 weeks (isn't that called overlapping). Also she didn't section through and smooth the hair. Then when she washed the relaxer out, she said that the Paul Mitchell relaxer was no good because my hair wasn't straight. I hear that she is one of the best beautician's over here, but I'm still looking. Has anyone ever experienced a relaxer like that?

No but I live overseas and I do my own relaxer. I had Mizani shipped from overseas and I do it myself.

The 2nd stylist overlapped for sure and probably pulled out more hair than necessary. Maybe you should ship the relaxer of your choice and do it your self. I have detailed info on Half-Half self relaxing in my fotki journal. Practice with conditioner first. HTH

falloutti said:
Hello All,

I joined this forum back in 2003 because of my sister, but I'm active now. I recently moved overseas in Aug 06 and because of the constant moving related to my job (military), I am always looking for a new beautician every 2 or 3 years. So far, I've tried two people. The first person was ok. She used some type of liquid product that he said would prevent overlapping. She used designer essentials sensitive scalp and it was ok, but I wasn't thrilled with her. I had a relaxer shipped from the States, Paul Mitchell Regular and I hoped that would work, but it didn't. I tried a different person and she put the relaxer in differently from what I am used to. She placed the relaxer on my hair, but didn't touch the root of the hair. She let it sit for 5 minutes, then she put more relaxer on, but this time she let the relaxer touch the root of hair. She let it sit for 5 more minutes and then she sectioned my hair into four sections and started combing the relaxer through the new growth, but some of the relaxer was half way through my hair and I was at 8 weeks (isn't that called overlapping). Also she didn't section through and smooth the hair. Then when she washed the relaxer out, she said that the Paul Mitchell relaxer was no good because my hair wasn't straight. I hear that she is one of the best beautician's over here, but I'm still looking. Has anyone ever experienced a relaxer like that?
I do my own relaxers and I feel that in your situation you should too. Meanwhile you can review these helpful threads, "Self relaxers-Important info" by Tashique and "SouthernGirl's Relax Tips" by SouthernGirl. I'll bump these up for you but if you don't see them, try searching "Self-relaxing". You'll find a number of threads that may help you. I'm sure Lonei's instructions are great too...look at her hair!

Last edited:
I definitely do my own relaxers.

I really don't trust others to do my hair at all, even relaxers & especially overseas.

See if there is a self relaxing thread!!!
It would prob. be best in the end to do it yourself. I would hate for you to have an unfortunate hair experience.

Thank You all for your comments. I've tried relaxing on my own a long time ago and it was a catastrophe. Some people are blessed with that skill and I've accepted that I'm not one of those people. I probably should have observed how she did her relaxers prior to making the appt. I will have to do a better job at scoping out who will do my next relaxer in 7 weeks. I will definately maintain it and follow the guidance on how to take care of it from the forum. I ordered my vitamins (MSM, Pantothenic Acid, and Biotin) on Monday and will take a picture for my fotki prior to taking the vitamins in order to track progress. Thanks again for the information. I've often seen women with long hair, but it is see through and thin, but I viewed your galleries and you all have beautiful healthy, thick hair. I now know that I wasn't crazy by thinking that her method was different, perhaps incorrect.

Back