Relaxing the hairline only

butterfly_wings

I was thinking to start relaxing only may hairline and 2 inches in and stretching out the rest of my relaxed hair until Christmas, as I wear half wigs and phoney ponies 99% of the time.

Do you think this would work or would it cause breakage?

I wouldn't do that but that's just me. My hairline is the weakest area of my hair so if I decide to relax it, I might as well relax the rest of my hair.

I think it could cause breakage only because the hairline is very fragile on lots of people, myself included. Since you want to wear half wigs, maybe you could flat-iron your leave out hair once (depending on how often you poo and DC) and use the scarf-method for when you wear the phony pony? Hopefully that makes sense :drunk: :)

I know people who do it, just run the relaxer through to make it manageable.

Like the Girls said, I wouldn't fully relax it.

I would personally say no.

After a year of relaxing my hairline to blend in with weaves, I have a notibly shorter hairline and broken hair whereas the rest of my hair is in good condition.

I understand why it is that you want to do this but what I found to be a better option is to texturise the hair you would like to leave out. This makes the hair straighter but not dead straight and, hence, easier to flat iron with less reversion.

If you can get away without any chemical processing, even better!

I would not recommend relaxing the hairline alone.
The hairline is generally the weakest area that is why it is usually the part that breaks of first. And it is also usually recommended that during the relaxing process it is the part where the relaxer is applied last.

Do you want to relax because of blending issues with your half wigs? If so, I recommend getting a kinky textured wig or phony pony – See SelfStyled – she has lots of great suggestions for this kind of protective styling.

Good luck.

I would not recommend relaxing the hairline alone.
The hairline is generally the weakest area that is why it is usually the part that breaks of first. And it is also usually recommended that during the relaxing process it is the part where the relaxer is applied last.

Do you want to relax because of blending issues with your half wigs? If so, I recommend getting a kinky textured wig or phony pony – See SelfStyled – she has lots of great suggestions for this kind of protective styling.

Good luck.

I'm following SelfStyled's advice. Get hair that better matches your texture and use the tie-down method to get the edges under control. I recently textlaxed and didn't even let the relaxer touch my edges on purpose.

I would definitely vote NO..If you could see my hair line and nape you would know why:nono:

I would vote for texturizing or leaving it alone...It maybe ok to flat iron it once in a while, on low heat with a heat protectant...

I was thinking to start relaxing only may hairline and 2 inches in and stretching out the rest of my relaxed hair until Christmas, as I wear half wigs and phoney ponies 99% of the time.

Do you think this would work or would it cause breakage?

What's funny is that I actually did this. I hated going to the salon to get relaxers even though I only went twice a year. So I started putting PCJ for Kids relaxer on exactly the way you described! Didn't affect my hair. No breakage. I eventually stopped doing even that and just went natural. Anyway, that was my personal experience and everyone is different! :ohwell:

What's funny is that I actually did this. I hated going to the salon to get relaxers even though I only went twice a year. So I started putting PCJ for Kids relaxer on exactly the way you described! Didn't affect my hair. No breakage. I eventually stopped doing even that and just went natural. Anyway, that was my personal experience and everyone is different! :ohwell:

I have done this in the past also, during my transition so that I could wear half-wigs and have them blend nicely. I didn't have any breakage. I took extra TLC with my hairline. I have stopped also since my natural hair is long enough to pull all back into a bun.

I relaxed the edges at the beginnig of my transition. I stopped roughly 2 years ago, now, I can see that there is much less naturalness on my edges plus my edges arow more slowly that other parts of my hair.

If you're going to take the wig off, RELAX and wear your hair out at Christmas, then go for it. If you think you may go natural around Christmas, I wouldn't. Even if you do decide to go natural around Christmas and you relaxed your edges, it IS hair, it will grow out.

GOOD LUCK!

Hi thanks for the replies!

I relax my hair every 6 weeks with not much breakage, I co was once a week sometimes more and moisture daily so my hair is well moisture.

I see what you mean with regards to the hairline being more fragile but I thought it would be the same as if I relaxed my whole head as I normally do?

I've got a step in my hair from where I was rough with hair bands after co washing, which I want to grow out.

I'm not planning on going natural, just want to give the majority of my hair a break and grow it to BSL

Thanks ladies :)

I am no expert but I would say no on this. I used to do this quite a bit in high school to compliment my phoney ponies and although my hair is generally pretty thick and coarse...my edges would begin to thin out. I think the combination of pulling the hair up semi-tight with the phoney ponies and the relaxed edges resulted in quite a bit of thinning.

I don't see how it would be a problem to relax the hairline only if you relax anyway. I just did this. I'm going on 4 months post. I don't plan on relaxing any part of my hair again until August. There would just be way more new growth with the rest of my hair than my hairline.

I started doing this recently. I'm about to do it this weekend. to stretch for 6 more weeks. My sister has been doing it for years. Her hairline is fine. I would advise you not to perm it bonestraight. Be sure not to overlap and oil your edges before relaxer your entire head.

I did this before. I stretched for a year and relaxed by hairline only since that was the first thing to poof up:blush: I had no breakage at all, but everyone is different...I wouldn't have done it if my nape/hairline was already suffering....BTW I only left the relaxer in for a couple of minutes...

I've never done this personally but I would think that depending what your hairline feels like, you can go for it. :)

For Me: I would say No.:ohwell:

I guess it depends on how Strong Your Hair is to start out with, the overall condition of your edges currently and your keen inability not to Overlap or Overprocess the Edges.

Even though My Edges are in Great Shape i.e.Not a problem area for me, If I started doing that......it would be my luck......it would immediately "become" a problem.

So, For Me,:nono:

But if you think Your Hair can Handle it-- Go For It.

Back