Return of the jheri curl

dyh080

I predict the return of the jheri curl. It will probably make a return in less than 2 years.
--- Maybe under a new name but the same curl. It may be manufactured by some big name black owned company who tried to enter the now crowded "natural products market".
---No, it will not be the same as what is currently on the market, such as Wave Nouveau, texturizer, etc.

I also predict that most ( but not all)people getting this new curl will be those who have been natural for less than 5 years and struggling to define their curls.

In addition, I predict that said people will still claim to be natural.

By the way, there are already people who big chop only so that they can get a curly look via texturizing.

Call me crazy( won't be the first time,lol) but I am simply expressing my predictions.

SmileyNY

Mama noooooooooooooooo!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
dyh080 said:
I predict the return of the jheri curl. It will probably make a return in less than 2 years.
--- Maybe under a new name but the same curl. It may be manufactured by some big name black owned company who tried to enter the now crowded "natural products market".
---No, it will not be the same as what is currently on the market, such as Wave Nouveau, texturizer, etc.

I also predict that most ( but not all)people getting this new curl will be those who have been natural for less than 5 years and struggling to define their curls.

By the way, there are already people who big chop only so that they can get a curly look via texturizing.

Call me crazy( won't be the first time,lol) but I am simply expressing my predictions.

Oh hell no please no. It was awful then and still is

RUBY

Ok spill, what insider info do you have? Have you seen a product or know of one in development that will do as you predict?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Actually, you are dead on op! It already has in some circles.

I'm in cali. My friend is a stylist. She said over the last year they've had a mad rush for The Curl (lol) in her salon. Mostly by type 4 Africans who are Nigerian, Eritrean, and Ethiopian.

Its only a matter of time before the rest of us catch on...

dyh080

Actually, you are dead on op! It already has in some circles.

I'm in cali. My friend is a stylist. She said over the last year they've had a mad rush for The Curl (lol) in her salon. Mostly by type 4 Africans who are Nigerian, Eritrean, and Ethiopian.

Its only a matter of time before the rest of us catch on...

Wow...thanks! I didn't know it has already started. I am on the east coast and haven't seen it here yet. Your post gave me goose bumps..not because I want it to come back but because my "feeling" was on point.

LongLeggedLife

I cant see anybody wanting to be juicy & moist about the head, although I can see them re-marketing texlaxing & wave nouveau for that reason.
Just a curly perm for black folk I guess.

faithVA

As a 4b with some really serious shrinkage, I can understand the temptation. The day in and day out of the hair thing can cause you to want a break. As a past curl wearer, way in the past, it was probably one of the easiest times for me and my hair and it was the time my hair grew the longest. So I can believe that some people would want to try it especially if they missed the first go round.

I don't think too many people who did it the first time would do it again :nono: It had a lot of benefits but yeah the sticky, wet head is too much. :nono:

But having this 4b head, I can't say I blame anyone that wants to try it.

SUPER SWEET

I'm never going back...nope never.
When I think of the jheri curl I remember this lady that sat in front of me in church. Whewwwww her hair was so sour with the activator,days or weeks of not washing combined with sweating. :barf: I can't imagine the offices,elevators,churches and other tight spaces filled with random jheri curl funk..... RANT over :lol:

Atdow71

I had. Jheri curl in high school (the 80s) and I will not be going back. But I will say this, the jherri curl made my hair grow which it never did as a child. I remember one time in high school, my Italian teacher (she was a sweet woman & one of my favorite teachers ) was consoling me nd she put her hands in my hair. I was so embarrassed.

I'm surprised that the 80s & 90s babies haven't brought back the curl. They brought back everything else.

BadMamaJama

I was natural last year and I went to the shop to get my hair done and my stylist said I should get a curl. I was like ummmm, hell no! She started laughing and said that the curls they have now aren't the same. They look more natural and aren't juicy like back in the day. If you trip, some texturizers are curls anyway so bringing curls back aren't that far fetched.

MilkChocolateOne

I was natural last year and I went to the shop to get my hair done and my stylist said I should get a curl. I was like ummmm, hell no! She started laughing and said that the curls they have now aren't the same. They look more natural and aren't juicy like back in the day. If you trip, some texturizers are curls anyway so bringing curls back aren't that far fetched.

Texturizers(weak relaxers) and Curls are not the same. They use different chemicals and perform different tasks. Texturizers(lithium, sodium, calcium or potassium hydroxide) loosen the existing curl pattern, the do not create curls. Curls(thioglycolate) use a multi step process to break down the bonds of the hair and then the bonds are set and restructured on rollers thus creating curls.

Raspberry

Pretee_Please has a Wave Nouveau and it looks great :yep: Her hair is long so that probably makes a big difference in the look.

Dayjoy

Old School Member

I did the bold above and texlaxed (not texturized) back in 2004. I'm now transitioning to natural from texlaxed and cannot fathom an actual "curl" on me or anyone else. I can see it if it is dry though. It would be like a permanent twist- or braidout, which IS popular right now.