Old school length retention...

dyh080

This is a throwback to an old Jheri Curl Juice thread, circa 2010.

You want length retention? Do what anolder woman did to go from barely shoulder length to waist length in less than 2 years:

1. No heat
2. No "stretching" the naps
3. No chemicals, just nappy hair
4. Treat as if you have an 80s jheri curl....moisturize. Does not have to be dripping. Back then, some people unnecessarily over greased their hair.
5. Use same 80s products. Don't get taken advantage of by these creators of so called products for natural hair...can you say highway robbery?

6. Shampoo, condition and moisturize. Use curl activator if you like.

Unfortunately, most women do not like the look of their natural, nappy hair unless it is stretched, braided or twisted and therefore will not follow the above.

prettybyrd

Who grew to WL from SL that fast? Does she still post here? So how would one wear her hair - like a WNG?

workinprogress1

No stretching ? With my hair that would mean no combing not even finger combing. Which would also mean free form dreads.. What's wrong with stretching the hair ?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Old school to me meant grease, brush, and water. Also, hot comb and pony tail with grease.

Last edited:

CodeRed

My old school length retention was:

-Wash, condition and grease scalp/hair
-Braid or press
-Stocking cap at night

Not sure what the stuff in the op is talking about...I agree to a certain extent about natural hair products being highway robbery, but not all of them are like that and the good, cheaper ones are easily found on this forum.

sunnieb

:look:

Uhm..not stretching MY hair means SSKs and tangles, which I have enough of already.

Absolutely! My momma kept my natural hair stretched via braids or ponytails. She used a goody brush, water and grease. :lol: My hair grew all over the place.

Unstretched natural hair on my head is a disaster of knots and tangles! :nono:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Who grew to WL from SL that fast? Does she still post here? So how would one wear her hair - like a WNG?

Theoretically if you grew the average 1/2 inch a month and retained all 6 inches a year --> 12 inches in 2 years you could get to WL

ETA notice I said theoretically

Last edited:

prettybyrd

Theoretically if you grew the average 1/2 inch a month and retained all 6 inches a year --> 12 inches in 2 years you could get to WSL

ETA notice I said theoretically

While I think it would hard, that makes perfect sense. :yep: I guess the lady mentioned in the OP was able to do it. Does anyone know who that member is?

I think I'm going to take that up as a challenge. I'm going to see if I can retain my growth and get to WL by 2015. I cut my hair in Feb., thought I was cute, and now I want my hair back. :spinning:

Growing my hair is easy for me, retaining past SL (as a natural) is the hard part. I don't know if I could use the regimen in the OP, because while I love the WNG, I get SSKs like crazy.

DrC

Guuurl, she busted out with t eh Jheri Curl juice.

I'm a believer in the juice, but as far as NOT stretching my hair is asking for trouble and a matted catastrophe. There are women who grew their hair to phenomenal lengths with braids outs twist outs and stretching. Not everyone prefers their hair in its full natural curl like how some women prefer relaxed/textured hair over natural (and vise versa) and that's okay. Its all about preferences which makes up the beauty of this hair board.

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
My mom used Vaseline or grease, water, a boar bristle brush, and a regular plastic comb. My hair never got past neck/shoulder length.

I think I like my modern ways. :look:

MsDee14

Old school for me was every week or 2 weeks:

Wash
No dc
Detangle
Grease hair
Braid
Cover hair with tights at night

No regreasing during the week.
No heat

My hair was almost mbl up until my first relaxer at 10(then it went downhill)
I follow a similar regimen now except I use more moisturizing products and do henna/indigo treatments monthly

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Old school for me was
5 plaits (8 if mummy was feeling fancy) some times with bobbles at the roots and ends for church, and birthday's etc
redone every three weeks, longer if she could get away with it. greased and moisturised once a week
Pink lotion, dax, indian hemp, Baby lotion (yes guy baby lotion) Sof n free spray and oil sheen
big tooth comb, medium tooth comb soft brush and hard brush.
tights with the legs tied around my head to go to bed

and washed once in a blue moon. :nono: yucky

except for the lack of washing It was okay. my hair was very long. My mum still swears by baby lotion though. It doesn't even moisturise my skin let alone my hair. My mum still can't be bothered with heat. She passed that on to me

Last edited:

KweenBeeDiva

My mom used Cream of Nature (green label) or No more Tears

She alternated between Apex grease or Moreline (discontinued) Greases

I got a press every two weeks with a fine toothed comb (It's older than me...possibly older than my mother, with a super long handle. Before stove tops, G-ma put that joker in the fire place)

It was pony tails for me or two French braids. My mom let me wear my hair down for pictures, church, b-days, and Easter.

CurlyMoo

You want length retention? Do what anolder woman did to go from barely shoulder length to waist length in less than 2 years:

1. No heat
4. Treat as if you have an 80s jheri curl....moisturize. Does not have to be dripping. Back then, some people unnecessarily over greased their hair.
5. Use same 80s products. Don't get taken advantage of by these creators of so called products for natural hair...can you say highway robbery?

Unfortunately, most women do not like the look of their natural, nappy hair unless it is stretched, braided or twisted and therefore will not follow the above.

@ the bolded. I keep my hair braided because it keeps it detangled.
I don't use heat often. Maybe 2-3x a year. I use my own homemade oil, conditioner and water for moisture.

doll-baby

My mom kept my hair in braids and used white rose vaseline in my hair. And my hair was mid back length as a little girl, until they put in a jerry curl :(

coolsista-paris

OMG! DDTexlaxed I just noticed you posted this! I'm tellin' ya, this was all the moms used back in the day. My and my cousins had heads full of thick hair. :yep:

Me too! i had wl length hair back then ! ! They used to shave my hair it woulg just.grow back.
Grease and water + braids ...and hot comb sometimes .

Now im struggling to acheive goals.

Lilmama1011

Back in the day my hair was washed every two weeks, (I seriously don't remember deep conditioner or conditioners at all hmmmm)....sprayed Hask placenta in my hair and blow dryer it and braided up for two weeks. In 8th grade i got my hair relaxed and before the chopped all it off (stylist claims it was necessary) my hair was almost waist length but was. Chopped off to my chin, I think this b$&!? Was jealous and every since then i couldn't get past shoulder length. But after being on here my hair hair made it to apl but had a set back and have thin ends so will probably end up should length after i eventually get rid of all thin ends smh, don't make me start about that .....

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest

1. No heat

You're right. I prefer my hair relaxed. I've been retaining length relaxed though, so it's all good.