Rinse out conditioner before deep conditioner

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I recently tried this after seeing a popular youtuber mention she does this. I thought it would be a great way to get through my stash because I have a bunch of rinse out conditioners not being used. I shampooed 1x then followed up with my rinse out conditioner for 2 minutes and gently finger detangled. Afterwards I used my deep conditioner for 5 minutes and when I used my unbrush to detangle. It glided through like butter and I lost like 5 strands of hair! Alone this DC gave me some snags when detangling. I think this technique will be a keeper! I had the easiest wash day ever!

Evolving78

I recently tried this after seeing a popular youtuber mention she does this. I thought it would be a great way to get through my stash because I have a bunch of rinse out conditioners not being used. I shampooed 1x then followed up with my rinse out conditioner for 2 minutes and gently finger detangled. Afterwards I used my deep conditioner for 5 minutes and when I used my unbrush to detangle. It glided through like butter and I lost like 5 strands of hair! Alone this DC gave me some snags when detangling. I think this technique will be a keeper! I had the easiest wash day ever!
You know that a DC is a treatment and is meant to repair. I would suggest to only DC if you have an issue. I would suggest to use the rinse out each time you shampoo. Now some of us don’t wash frequently, so that alone will cause an issue. The hair is dehydrated and has seen and unseen germs and debris that needs to be removed when one goes more than a week of not properly cleansing their hair.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

You know that a DC is a treatment and is meant to repair. I would suggest to only DC if you have an issue. I would suggest to use the rinse out each time you shampoo. Now some of us don’t wash frequently, so that alone will cause an issue. The hair is dehydrated and has seen and unseen germs and debris that needs to be removed when one goes more than a week of not properly cleansing their hair.

I totally disagree with this. Deep conditioners are not only for repairing. They are for conditioning, adding moisture, and improving elasticity. If the DC doesn’t have protein and other strengthening ingredients it’s not going to “repair” the hair. I don’t recommend waiting until you have an issue to DC your hair. Deep conditioning is used for the prevention of breakage, split ends, dry and brittle hair. A rinse out conditioner is only acting on the surface of the hair. Deep conditioners penetrate the cuticles. I believe that is necessary on a consistent basis for most heads of hair.

Theresamonet

Op, this used to be a very popular method on the hair boards at one point. Especially when Dominican and other Latin hair products were really popular. I think people cut it out once everyone went natural and were looking for any way to shorten their wash day. The rinse out conditioner didn’t make the cut.

I have recently started to do this again as well. I’ve incorporated more Ayurvedic treatments into my regimen and use rinse outs as a quick co-wash before DCing. It does give that extra boost. :up:

Evolving78

I totally disagree with this. Deep conditioners are not only for repairing. They are for conditioning, adding moisture, and improving elasticity. If the DC doesn’t have protein and other strengthening ingredients it’s not going to “repair” the hair. I don’t recommend waiting until you have an issue to DC your hair. Deep conditioning is used for the prevention of breakage, split ends, dry and brittle hair. A rinse out conditioner is only acting on the surface of the hair. Deep conditioners penetrate the cuticles. I believe that is necessary on a consistent basis for most heads of hair.
Based off of what I learned in Cosmo school, Deep conditioners are treatments. Hair may have issues with moisture, so a treatment would be needed to repair that issue.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Op, this used to be a very popular method on the hair boards at one point. Especially when Dominican and other Latin hair products were really popular. I think people cut it out once everyone went natural and were looking for any way to shorten their wash day. The rinse out conditioner didn’t make the cut.

I have recently started to do this again as well. I’ve incorporated more Ayurvedic treatments into my regimen and use rinse outs as a quick co-wash before DCing. It does give that extra boost. :up:
I was looking in the archives about this method too. I always thought it was a waste of time or needed because the products were low quality but boy am I a believer now lol (but then again the products I currently use are cheap too :look:) No one does this anymore but the youtuber had pretty natural hair so I wanted to try it too. I had to use less deep conditioner too which is also a win.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

I've been DCing with every wash and so far I lose less hair when I do. Don't plan on stopping! (Plus i have alot of DC to get through lol)

KaciaLN12

I’ve been just mixing rinse-outs and deep conditioners together and applying them because I have a lot of both and the slip of rinse-out conditioners is unmatched. I’ve also only been using conditioners for the duration of the shower instead of getting out and using heat because I don’t have time to do all that extra anymore.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’ve been just mixing rinse-outs and deep conditioners together and applying them because I have a lot of both and the slip of rinse-out conditioners is unmatched. I’ve also only been using conditioners for the duration of the shower instead of getting out and using heat because I don’t have time to do all that extra anymore.
I only dc for 5 minutes. If it can’t soften my hair by then, I don’t want it!

LushLox

Agreed. My conditioner of choice is a mask/DC. I generally don't bother with conditioners, give me the heavy weight product; it hasn't done me any harm at all. And my hair is relaxed so it needs all the help it can get.

The suggestion from the OP is a great way to use up your stash though.

Last edited: