Rollerset 101

Amour

I have hair which is just above shoulder length and is texturised. I currently try in bantu knots over night but was considering trying a rollerset. I've never considered this before as I thought it would be inappropriate for my hair's length.

I have a few questions regarding how to do rollersets.

1. What type of rollers shall I use? Having looked at some of them in the store some look pretty scary and scream BREAKAGE!!

2. Do I need to use a setting lotion? If so any recommendations?

3. Must I dry under a hooded dryer? Are the results better? I don't have one of these (although I am looking for one)

i'll add any more question that spring to mind, please pass on any tips to this rollerset novice.

shunta

1. What type of rollers shall I use? Having looked at some of them in the store some look pretty scary and scream BREAKAGE!! Since you are shoulder length, I would probably use the red or purple.

2. Do I need to use a setting lotion? If so any recommendations? I would used a creamy leave-in. My hair hates setting lotion, and besides, setting lotion causes breakage for my hair.

3. Must I dry under a hooded dryer? Are the results better? I don't have one of these (although I am looking for one) I use a hooded dryer, and Im under there between 60-90 minutes. Some ladies do air-dried rollersets, too.

Macheriamour has an excellent tutorial: www.healthytextures.com

myco

shunta said:
1. What type of rollers shall I use? Having looked at some of them in the store some look pretty scary and scream BREAKAGE!! Since you are shoulder length, I would probably use the red or purple.

2. Do I need to use a setting lotion? If so any recommendations? I would used a creamy leave-in. My hair hates setting lotion, and besides, setting lotion causes breakage for my hair.

3. Must I dry under a hooded dryer? Are the results better? I don't have one of these (although I am looking for one) I use a hooded dryer, and Im under there between 60-90 minutes. Some ladies do air-dried rollersets, too.

Macheriamour has an excellent tutorial: www.healthytextures.com

I agree with all of Shunta's answers. The magnetic rollers will give you a smooth set with minimal breakage. I notice that I have breakage only when I try to use a setting lotion. Setting lotion makes my hair extray crispy and it doesn't help my curls last any longer than when I set without it, so I just skip it.

Amour

Thanks for the replies ladies so I should be using magnetic rollers? Do they sell these in the normal bss?

what do they look like? why are they called magnetic rollers? are these the ones with the spikes?

any ladies sleep with rollers in? I can imagine it to be v. uncomfortable... and what about those sponge rollers? are they any good?

Are this them? If so they look ok... no spikes

Last edited:

Amour

my mom has a roller set which comes in a box thingy and you heat it up... these seemingly would be able to create some cute curls... would this be regarded as direct heat and damaging to the hair?

myco

KissKiss said:
Thanks for the replies ladies so I should be using magnetic rollers? Do they sell these in the normal bss?

what do they look like? why are they called magnetic rollers? are these the ones with the spikes?

any ladies sleep with rollers in? I can imagine it to be v. uncomfortable... and what about those sponge rollers? are they any good?

Magnetic rollers are the plastic ones that come in a pack. The different colors correspond to to different sizes.

Here is a link with pics: http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/anmaro.html.
You use duckbill clips and or bobby pins to hold them in place.

The ones with spikes are not for wet sets. I think i used to use those with Miss Cool 5 minute setting cream when I needed to add curls to dry hair.(Miss Cool might be the only setting lotion that doesn't break hair, because it didn't give crispy hair)

I don't use sponge rollers because they soak the moisture out of your hair, the material is rough, and they leave that line across the hair.

If I have no choice, I can sleep in magnetic rollers - but it is not a good night. :(:

The rollers that come in a box and that heat up are considered a heat tool, IMO. It's pretty much the same as using a curling iron on your hair. If you need to use something that provides quick allover curls, I would invest in a Conair or Caruso Steam roller set. It uses moist heat that is not damaging to your hair like the hot rollers. Here is a link:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp83787_3...0_roller_ion_molecular_steam_setter_vs330.htm
http://www.cachebeauty.com/caruso.htm

bellesocialite

KissKiss said:

That picture is a photo of magnetic rollers. The rollers with spikes are mesh rollers (I believe..). I use magnetic rollers and my ends are smooth and look more healthy.
I sleep with rollers. Not very comfortable but I've grown accustomed to the feeling since I've been sleeping in them for years.

Missi

1. What type of rollers shall I use? Having looked at some of them in the store some look pretty scary and scream BREAKAGE!!
you should use the Magnetic rollers: they come in different sizes

2. Do I need to use a setting lotion? If so any recommendations?
i recommend a cream: I use NTM Silk Leave-in until my Lacio Lacio comes in the mail

3. Must I dry under a hooded dryer? Are the results better? I don't have one of these (although I am looking for one)
you don't have to: my house was too hot one day: i was not about to sit under the dryer: you can let your hair air dry w/ the rollers in it: the hood dryer is just to dry your hair faster

i'll add any more question that spring to mind, please pass on any tips to this rollerset novice.

I purchased my magnetic rollers at Walgreens: they had mutiple sizes in a pack: its great for me cuz my hair is uneven

they are different color rollers with holes around them: i guess they're called that way cause when u pin them together: its like magnets:ohwell: : no the don't have the spikes there like plastic

I slept with too in my hair before and they are uncomfortable: i have the sponges and they are comfortable: I use them for style purposes and my magnetic rollers for hair care purposes.

yes they are perfect: i need those: my pack has 6 sizes this has like 10: I need me this.