Rollerset Disaster? Newbie Help!!!

rhannie8

So I tried my first real rollerset last night...hahaha...Wait, it's not funny. My hair was so dry that I thought I could hear it cracking. What did I do wrong?! :nono:

I did shampoo and conditioner in the shower (I don't remember what kind I used...Hmmm...)...and then (without towel drying) used a little bit of Parnevu Leave-In Conditioner, a little Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion (I'm thinking this may be the culprit?), and a little Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer. And then it took me 8 hours to roll my hair...Well, not really, but it felt like it--Ugh, I'm going to need a rollerset tutorial or something. My fingers, the rollers, clips, and my hair refused to work together. When sections started getting dry, I sprayed them with a combination of water and olive oil (might be another problem?). I sat under the dryer on medium for about an hour and 15 minutes...and then I slept in the rollers as well. The result was horrific. I couldn't even take a picture to show you because I didn't want to break my camera. :wallbash:

What happened?! Wrong procedure? Wrong products? A horrible hair curse?! I guess my hair is about an inch from arm pit length (I've managed to stretch it down that far, but it's hard to tell in its current horrific condition). I last relaxed on March 9th, going to wait 8 weeks (is that good, or should I wait 12?) for another one. I don't know you guys' hair system yet, so I don't know what number/letter I am, but when my hair is wet, it waves up. I can't live with my hair like the desert, so I'm about to deep condition with this Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol Deep Conditioning Cream while I get on the treadmill (is that another bad product?). :ohwell:

ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Products? Procedures? ANYTHING!!! HELP!!!! :perplexed

Transformer

Too many hair products, plus for me I can't use oil and then rollerset. Why not just limit it to leave-in and setting lotion....or just the leave-in!

elaine

Maybe you did too much to the hair. If you are just starting, maybe just wash, condition, towel dry and use a good setting lotion/ wrap foam and roll while still wet. While I recommend that you purchase Macherieamour video, here is a quick demonstration on youtube showing how to part and roll your hair. Only look at the way the stylist rolls the hair around the roller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWU3lHWLPD4&feature=related.

Again, Macherieamour has a more detailed explanation on how to complete the entire rollerset and for a very good price also. It is definately a video you want to purchase and keep in your collection. I will send you the link to the site to order.

Once you have developed the method of rolling your hair, you will develop your own technique.

KAT25

You want to use min. product most often just some diluted setting lotion or diluted leave in and then just roll and you should have a banging roller set. There are a lot of pics of beautiful roller sets that is posted in another thread just recently do a search.

SmartyPants

If you want to do an oil rinse to seal your hair, I think you should wash and condition as normal, put some oil on your hair and sit under the dryer with a plastic cap for 15 minutes. Then rinse all of the oil (or at least as much as you can get) out. When roller setting, I usually put in a spray in leave-in moisturizer (like the Infusium moisturizing formula) and about a quarter's worth of Chi Silk Infusion. I use Elasta QP silk setting lotion. You do not want to put oil in your hair while rollersetting, that is a recipe for disaster.

And I am sick of :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: telling you guys this, but roller clips are too :censored: hard for newbie rollersetters to master. Use the :censored: roller pins instead.

hottestdiva19

The setting lotion just may be the culprit. I found out that no mater which one I use, my hair HATES the stuff. It makes it so dry and crackley! Trying to comb out the curls is a disaster leaving me with a dry frizzy mess and loads of shedding. I now use Garnier sleek and shine leave in conditioner and Jojoba oil with no heat. My curls come out frizz free and shiny.

SparklingFlame

The setting lotion just may be the culprit. I found out that no mater which one I use, my hair HATES the stuff. It makes it so dry and crackley! Trying to comb out the curls is a disaster leaving me with a dry frizzy mess and loads of shedding. I now use Garnier sleek and shine leave in conditioner and Jojoba oil with no heat. My curls come out frizz free and shiny.
My hair hates setting lotion too.

OP it sounds like you used too many products. Just use one leave in, not anything heavy though, and that should do it. That one leave in and loads of water and you should have a banging set. If you do use setting lotion,which in my opinion is not really needed, then dilute it A LOT!!

rhannie8

Okay, okay...I guess I got product-happy. Oops? You can bet THAT won't happen again. I just wanted to thank you guys so much! I've already ordered the Guide to Roller Setting DVD, so I can't wait for that to arrive. :grin: This forum is great. Who says black women are afraid to help other black women? You guys definitely disprove that myth. I should be asleep right now but I'm up tryna see what the latest posts are. It's addicting! Pray for my hair! :spinning:

didirose

I use lottabody setting lotion, well diluted (10 parts water to 1 part setting lotion) and then use the saran wrap method and my hair usually comes out soft and smooth. Just keep it wet and make sure the hair is taut on that roller.

so so chic

Setting lotion is a BIG no no for me :nono:. It has always left my hair hard and crunchy. I use Salerm and a lot of women like the Lacio Lacio i think it is. I haven't tried it yet, but i think its really good. Any good leave-in and water would be good to set your hair with to give it that soft bouncy effect. But yes, less is more. Wash, DC, leave-in and water to set, moisturize, and seal....that's what I do. And, Macherieamour's DVD is GREAT, it should help a lot :yep:.

SmartyPants

I use lottabody setting lotion, well diluted (10 parts water to 1 part setting lotion) and then use the saran wrap method and my hair usually comes out soft and smooth. Just keep it wet and make sure the hair is taut on that roller.

One of two stylists I still trust with my hair told me not to use lottabody because the alcohol in it dries out you hair. I prefer the Elasta QP silk setting lotion. No alcohol.

Demi27

I just rollerset my hair again last night and it was one of the best so far.

I washed/conditioned with Herbal Essences Hello Hydration (that was the first time using that and it was THE BEST). Then I used Giovanni Direct Leave In (which I love, but some don't). I also put on some IC Heat serum. I used water to set my hair. After I dried my hair, I wrapped it with Saran Wrap, but put a little coconut oil on the hair before I did).

My hair was sooo soft and bouncy.

I also used Macherie's video. It helps so much..and FYI, you can download it and have it immediately. YES it's legal!!! LOL. She has it on Amazon. I was so happy because I ordered it Sunday night and watched it immediately!!!

*closer*2*my*dreams*

If you opt for a leave-in only rollerset, I suggest getting rid of the parnevu leave-in. that stuff dried my hair out horribly everytime I used it. it just sits under my bathroom cabinet collecting dust now..