Rollersetters: Do you have to use a PIBBS????

MsDeeD

I know everyone here who owns one raves about their PIBBS. Well unfortunatley, I can't afford one right now. I do own a hooded hair dryer though that has three temperature settings.. So what are my other options. If I use a hooded dryer, or air dry will I still get good results??? I mean does anyone else use something else besides the PIBBS to dry your rollersets. If so, I would love to hear your results. I'm new to roller setting and I was just hoping for good results without using the PIBBS. Eventually I will get one, if I can master roller sets.

MiWay

You don't NEED a Pibbs. I use a Gold n Hot. I've had it for years and it works just fine. My hair is always dry in less than an hour.

LivingDoll

No, a PIBBS is just a brand of dryer. When my hair was longer, I'd even dried a rollerset under a soft bonnet dryer (just careful when I pulled the dryer over my rollers). I think the PIBBS is desirable because of the circulation and even distribution of the air, the fact that you can control the actual heat temp (on the 514, I think) and the quick drying times as compared to regular hooded dryers.

Ms. Plain Jane

Heck naw you don't need a Pibbs!

I have a Conair hardhat dryer and a Gold N Hot soft bonnet dryer.

I plan on getting a Pibbs or something similar eventually, but only because they're more powerful than the 2 dryers I already have.

myco

I don't own a Pibbs. I actually can't even remember the brand right now. I bought it at Sally's for $30. I would like a larger hood to accomodate the rollers in the back and better air circulation, but it works just fine.

Since the hair in the back is still sometimes wet when the other sections are dry, I use mesh rollers (without the prickly thing in the center) on the bottom rows of my hair. I set all the other sections on magnetic rollers.

LongTimeComing

I have had my Gold N Hot since '02 and I love it. When it breaks I will probably get another one. I would get a Pibbs if they were cheaper.

neenee280

I use my gold n hot but most of the time, I just airdry. :look: Yes, I am that girl who goes to the market with earrings, some makeup and a scarf around my rollers. it is called "multi-tasking" :lachen:

LivingDoll

I use my gold n hot but most of the time, I just airdry. :look: Yes, I am that girl who goes to the market with earrings, some makeup and a scarf around my rollers. it is called "multi-tasking" :lachen:

neenee, when you airdry, your hair doesn't turn out frizzy?

Blessed_Angel

Well, I don't leave the house :lachen:, but if I am busy, I just airdry at home while I cook and clean.

JessC, you don't have to use a dryer at all. And, no, your hair won't come out frizzy, it will come out just as beautiful. I've done it before. I'm sure NeeNee's hair looks just as good as if she sat under the dryer; mine sure did. Only thing is that it takes a few more hours to dry, that's all.

STLCoverGirl

No, you don't need a Pibbs, I have an Ion Soft Bonnet Dryer and it does the job. I can fit all my hair and rollers under it comfortably and my hair is dry in 75-90 minutes. I would love a Pibbs, but it's not practical for me to buy one when I have something else that works well.

The Girl

No, a PIBBS is just a brand of dryer. When my hair was longer, I'd even dried a rollerset under a soft bonnet dryer (just careful when I pulled the dryer over my rollers). I think the PIBBS is desirable because of the circulation and even distribution of the air, the fact that you can control the actual heat temp (on the 514, I think) and the quick drying times as compared to regular hooded dryers.

This what I use as well, except mine is an old school soft bonnet from a thrift store. An old GE, OT I wonder if the replacement bonnets I see only will work?

ETA: I will own a PIBBS one day soon though. The time factor is beyond compare and my little one can use it too.

neenee280

Well, I don't leave the house :lachen:, but if I am busy, I just airdry at home while I cook and clean.

JessC, you don't have to use a dryer at all. And, no, your hair won't come out frizzy, it will come out just as beautiful. I've done it before. I'm sure NeeNee's hair looks just as good as if she sat under the dryer; mine sure did. Only thing is that it takes a few more hours to dry, that's all.

Yep!!!! If i use smaller curlers for a spiral I even sleep in them. Not that uncomfortable for me. No frizz...the key is the right amoung leavein and seal!:yep:

SparklingFlame

I know everyone here who owns one raves about their PIBBS. Well unfortunatley, I can't afford one right now. I do own a hooded hair dryer though that has three temperature settings.. So what are my other options. If I use a hooded dryer, or air dry will I still get good results??? I mean does anyone else use something else besides the PIBBS to dry your rollersets. If so, I would love to hear your results. I'm new to roller setting and I was just hoping for good results without using the PIBBS. Eventually I will get one, if I can master roller sets.
Well I wasnt able to afford the Pibbs either but all hope isnt lost. I got a stand up dryer that works EXACTLY like the girls who have a Pibbs said that theirs works. I did a rollerset the other day and my APL hair dried in 1 hour. Aint no way it would have dried in an hour with my table top dryer. I got mine off ebay with a 1 year warranty for $148 with free shipping. They delivered it in less than 1 week after I ordered it. This dryer works great for me and I love it. Although Pibbs is the best dryer out there as they say, its not the only game in town.

sunshinebeautiful

Naw, I don't have a Pibbs. I have a Conair tabletop hair dryer that works just fine. I sit underneath for an hour and my hair is dry. My hair is not as thick as some of the other ladies so what I have is sufficient for me. If I had to sit under the dryer for 2+ hours, I would invest in a Pibbs too.

Demi27

Why did I read Hood Rat Dryer? :lachen::lachen:

Pwahahaha

The ONLY reason I bought a Pibbs was because I wanted to treat myself with my bonus money. I figure I might as well buy it now.

I am certain there are others out there like the Pibbs, but cheaper that work just as well.

Country gal

I have an old dryer from 9 years ago. It is a hooded dryer, I think Gold and Hot. It works. I guess I just want to have nice shining curls like stillalady.

FindingMe

You don't have to get a Pibbs.

I have a DAZEY1400 tabletop that I've had for about 22 years. It still works and gets hellu HOT!! However, I think it uses a lot of power or something bc the plug gets very hot (near where it plugs into the wall - like almost too hot to touch:blush:). It's been doing that for like the last 10 years at least, but it's still working. It gets so hot, I have to remove my jewelry and earrings before I use it:lachen:, but it dries my thick APL hair in about 60 minutes. It has the little holes in it that blows the air out.

I was worried about the plug and I thought it may conk out on me soon (22 years is a long time for weekly rollersets!), so I went ahead and got the Pibbs. I do like the Pibbs, it dries my hair faster, with less heat and it's quieter, but it's basically a 20 year improvement on the technology that I was working with so I would expect that...:lachen::lachen:I still use the DAZEY to this day when I am setting my friends hair and I need more than one dryer...

I would think that the newer tabletops would be just fine. Some are even ionic or use tourmaline technology.

Girl, go on to Sally's and get one of those tabletops next time they have a sale!:grin:

queen_t

Girl no, u don't need a Pibbs...I scooped me up a Pink Ion Hard Hat Dryer for $40 at Sally's ($5 coupon :yep:). Did a rollerset & I got some salon fresh curls today! :yep:

baby42

i think its all in the roller set:lachen:and what you use to set it with i use lacio lacio and to my HAIR THAT MADE MY HAIR COME OUT GREAT WITH JUST AIR DRYING. I OWN A PIBBS BUT HAVE NOT USE IT TO ROLLER SET YET I AM ON THE LESS HEAT IS BETTER FOR MY HAIR:yep:

Monigirl

How is it in comparison to a dryer at the Salon?

Hey Ms. Plain Jane,

I wish I could compare it but it has been a long time since I have been under a salon hooded dryer. I know that there are few things that are similar to the Pibbs. It has a flip open hood, height adjustable, gets very hot and drys my rollersets perfectly and also uses 1600 Watts . (Pibbs watts are: 1100 watts, 1065 watts and 905 watts) Also has a built-in airflow diffuser and cuts-off when face cover is lifted.

Best dryer I have ever owned and only cost me $99.00.

Lucky's Mom

Oh no - you have to have a pibbs for optimal results.
I was fortunate to get mine...but - under normal circumstances - I would not have been able to get it.

SouthernTease

I have that PINK ION...
think they were on sales at Sally's this week.
anyway... no you don't need a PIBBS...
If you can perfect a rollerset you can
air dry and have it come out looking very professional.
It's more about your rollersetting skills than anything else.

Qualitee

Well I wasnt able to afford the Pibbs either but all hope isnt lost. I got a stand up dryer that works EXACTLY like the girls who have a Pibbs said that theirs works. I did a rollerset the other day and my APL hair dried in 1 hour. Aint no way it would have dried in an hour with my table top dryer. I got mine off ebay with a 1 year warranty for $148 with free shipping. They delivered it in less than 1 week after I ordered it. This dryer works great for me and I love it. Although Pibbs is the best dryer out there as they say, its not the only game in town.
what hair dryer do you have?