SALON-GOERS How much do you pay? Your opinions needed :)

beana

Hi ladies,

This thread is for women who still go to salons (i know we have a lot of DIYers here:yep:) I wanted to ask what people normally pay for their salon services. Please respond with answers to the following and list your city/general area (if you feel comfortable):

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron:
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset:
Two strand twists:
Spiral or twist set:
Relaxer touch-up:
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim:
Steam condition:
Color Rinses:
semi/ permanent haircolor:
Trims:
Highlights:
Sew in weaves:

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon?
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon?
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon?
If not, what can be improved?

Also, please list any other services you get at the salon and the length and state of your hair (natural/relaxed).

Thanks in advance for you participation. I'm writing a paper on consumer behavior and am using the info you ladies provide to determine if women who place an emphasis on healthy hair care services spend more or less at the salon.

Thanks!

Your Cheeziness

Call me a geek, but I like surveys and polls. :look:

ETA: I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron: $40
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset:
Two strand twists:
Spiral or twist set:
Relaxer touch-up: $70
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim: $80 I think.
Steam condition:
Color Rinses:
semi/ permanent haircolor:
Trims: $10 (I normally get trims in conjunction with another service.)
Highlights: $95 (I never got them but I think this is the price)
Sew in weaves: $200-$250 depending on the stylist

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? Medium
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? Price matters, but the decision is mostly based upon my results.
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon? It serves its purpose for what I need done that I can't do myself. Completely, no.
If not, what can be improved? I don't care for being juggled between multiple clients and mis-scheduling, but that doesn't happen often. Other than that, I don't nitpick. I get my style and keep it moving.

Last edited:

growinstrong

Hi beana,

I guess I'll start as I'm probably one of the only few left out there that visits the salon :look: frequently. I live in Houston, TX and to answer your questions below:

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron: $45
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset: $45
Two strand twists: unsure
Spiral or twist set: unsure
Relaxer touch-up: $70 :nono:
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim: $70
Steam condition: unsure
Color Rinses: unsure
semi/ permanent haircolor: unsure
Trims: $15
Highlights: $65
Sew in weaves: $185+

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? low
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? yes it does. Since I frequent the salon, I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for just ok service.
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon? Not completely. I go to what u consider a healthy hair salon, but the stylist mentioned she encourages her clients to wait at least 4 weeks before relaxer touch up :blush:. I think she is uneducated about taking care of healthy hair. She is good about keeping appointments and not having clients wait all day. She's always on time and gets me out at a decent time.
If not, what can be improved? For such a low end salon, I think she should lower her prices. I dont see why stylists charge extra for deep condition. That should be included with the service and not something extra. If you're a healthy hair salon, you should know the value of deep conditioning.

Also, please list any other services you get at the salon and the length and state of your hair (natural/relaxed). I basically go in for a wash, deep condition and roller wrap every 3-4 weeks so I can get the salon look that I cant get at home (I'm style challenged). I am relaxed and my hair is healthy for the most part, but that's by me being educated on the forum and not from going to her.

hope my answeres helped. Sorry about all the unsures as I get the basics when I go to the salon.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Houston, Texas

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron: $30-$40
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset: $30-$40
Two strand twists: N/A
Spiral or twist set: $35-$40
Relaxer touch-up: $50- $60 (this includes my rollerset or flatiron)
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim: $60
Steam condition: N/A
Color Rinses: $10
semi/ permanent haircolor: N/A
Trims: $10
Highlights: N/A
Sew in weaves: Too much!

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? Med
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? Not really
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon? Enough to pay the person, its not the service that I dont like sometimes its the way my hair is acting.

Also, please list any other services you get at the salon and the length and state of your hair (natural/relaxed).

I am relaxed and about 2 inches from BSL

Hi beana,

I guess I'll start as I'm probably one of the only few left out there that visits the salon :look: frequently. I live in Houston, TX and to answer your questions below:

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron: $45
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset: $45
Two strand twists: unsure
Spiral or twist set: unsure
Relaxer touch-up: $70 :nono:
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim: $70
Steam condition: unsure
Color Rinses: unsure
semi/ permanent haircolor: unsure
Trims: $15
Highlights: $65
Sew in weaves: $185+

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? low
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? yes it does. Since I frequent the salon, I dont want to pay an arm and a leg for just ok service.
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon? Not completely. I go to what u consider a healthy hair salon, but the stylist mentioned she encourages her clients to wait at least 4 weeks before relaxer touch up :blush:. I think she is uneducated about taking care of healthy hair. She is good about keeping appointments and not having clients wait all day. She's always on time and gets me out at a decent time.
If not, what can be improved? For such a low end salon, I think she should lower her prices. I dont see why stylists charge extra for deep condition. That should be included with the service and not something extra. If you're a healthy hair salon, you should know the value of deep conditioning.

Also, please list any other services you get at the salon and the length and state of your hair (natural/relaxed). I basically go in for a wash, deep condition and roller wrap every 3-4 weeks so I can get the salon look that I cant get at home (I'm style challenged). I am relaxed and my hair is healthy for the most part, but that's by me being educated on the forum and not from going to her.

hope my answeres helped. Sorry about all the unsures as I get the basics when I go to the salon.

growinstrong, what side you on?

BeautyGoesDutch

Well I don't know if this counts but I go to the salon with my granny when she gets her hair done.

We live in Dallas,Tx

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron:$50.00

Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset:$65.00

Spiral or twist set:$65.00

Relaxer touch-up:$65.00

Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim:$75.oo

Color Rinses: $20.00

semi/ permanent haircolor:$30.00

Trims: $15.00

Highlights:$33.00
Sew in weaves:

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? med salon

Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? I know for my family it does

If not, what can be improved? Yes I love it she uses old school products with new school techniques

mochalocks

I'm in Brooklyn, New York.

Relaxer touch-up: $40, or $32 on certain days.
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim:$45
Trims:$8

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? I go to a low end salon
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? Yes
Are you completely satisfied with your experience at the salon? Yes, although there are certain things she needs to have, and learn to do.
If not, what can be improved? She needs a new flat iron, and she needs to learn how to style hair.

Also, please list any other services you get at the salon and the length and state of your hair (natural/relaxed). I have relaxed hair now, and it's at the middle of my neck.

Postal

I do my hair in NY. I am relaxed

Wash/ deep condition/ flat iron: $25
Wash/ deep condition/ rollerset:$25
Relaxer touch-up w/ deep condition, trim: $45

Do you go to a low /med/or high end salon? Low
Does pricing effect your willingness to try a salon? Yes
If not, what can be improved?
I wish my beautician was more knowledgeable about hair.

virtuenow

The question is: how much do they up charge you. I always seem to be quoted one price and charged something totally different. The beautician upcharged me about $20 the last time I went for a style. I ended up paying $85-90. I never even paid this much for a relaxer. I'm natural just getting flat iron and trim/cut. The listed price is $60 for wash/flat iron (StL). The weaving prices are around $200-300. Ridiculously high priced.

Last edited: