Salon stylists speak "we hate wash and gos!"

SelahOco

YouTuber Amanda G is doing a series of videos with the stylist in the natural hair salon she goes to. The ladies are dishing about their natural hair pet peeves and give advice against the wash and go. They also talk about the importance of a consultation and not getting hair done the same day you meet your stylist.

Wash n go: http://youtu.be/jB_Aop2jKG4
Consultations: http://youtu.be/LPkOtLJ0IX8

They describe a wash and go where product is used but the hair is not combed thru. They mention breakage, product overuse, dryness, etc.

But the reason I'm posting is that "the funny one" (as I would identify her) makes some comments about wash and goers trying to be something that they are not. That have me pause - something about it rubbed me wrong.

I can't help but feel like there is some sort of rift between salons and do it yourselfers. Sometimes I think DIY folks have had such bad experiences with salons that we don't trust any stylists.

And stylist seem to be offended by anyone who has their own sense of knowledge about their hair.

These women make good points and tell funny stories, but ... I don't know. I feel something that I can't articulate.

Just wanted to share and learn your thoughts.

Kurlee

these stylists are so mad and hating on the natural hair movement because the DIYers are cutting into their profits.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Those comments though: "WNG is a no." "Stop living a lie."
Really?:lol:

Pssshhhhhh, I'm gonna keep WNGing my hair right on to waist length. :yep:
I do what works for me.

Plus, I can't remember the last time I took hair growth and retention advice from a stylist with a bald fade, but that's just me :look:

ChocolatePie777

Idiots.....I'm pretty sure I comb through my hair when I wash and go....and I'm pretty sure I wash and go so I can wear my hair as it is....naturally

Philippians413

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing a wash and go as she described...shampoo (no mention of conditioner or detangling) followed by a styling product.

Also, it seems that their idea of what a wash & go is "suppose" to look like is limited. They act like kinkier hair types shouldn't do wash & go's because it won't result in curls as if that was the purpose to start with.

Honi

There is no board.
Who does a shampoo and go? Maybe their clients did it but I never heard of such a thing ever.

I'm tired of the hair care industry trying to play catch up. The online hair community will always be the innovators of something because we will try it as a DIYer. They are mad because there is less dependence on their expertise and refuse to embrace the shift. Instead of learning as she puts it she is perhaps losing.....money that is.

Kudos to those stylists that have recognized and embrace it.

The woman in the middle should have worn a longer skirt or whatever to cover those wretched elephant sized thighs.

BEAUTYU2U

Unless you're a 4z using a full tub of Kinky Curly to become a 3a ... how are you being something you're not? You're wearing your hair in it's natural state.

Kurlee

I don't understand why there is so much resistance? The video was so condescending and uniformed. I rarely if ever go to a stylist and my hair is so much healthier and longer. Yes, I wash and go when I feel like it and after 4-6 days, i wash and conditioner and lose a dime size amount of hair. Girl bye!

They need to get with it. Their views are so oppressive.

Kurlee

Unless you're a 4z using a full tub of Kinky Curly to become a 3a ... how are you being something you're not? You're wearing your hair in it's natural state.

:yep::yep: i have come across many people that feel that your natural state is hair when your hair is combed out with no product, conditioner or anything and if you use products or wear it in any other styled state, then you're not being "natural". Any styling = trying to be what you're not.

People have asked me why I don't wear my hair natural when it's in a bun :look:. I tell them it is and they say it's not kinky enough or too "smooth". Many people have a very narrow view about what natural hair should look like. Curls, kinks, coils and waves does not mean that you're not natural :nono:

Keen

Idiots.....I'm pretty sure I comb through my hair when I wash and go....and I'm pretty sure I wash and go so I can wear my hair as it is....naturally

I was about to say I didn't know wash and go involves no combing. I thought it was just no styling or drying?

dyh080

I never take advice from people who I do not want to be like.
Compared to women on this board, those women are bald. Granted, it may be by choice but I doubt it.

Also, I never take advice from fat people unless they are giving me good cooking lessons. A quick glance of these three women would cause me to tune out whatever they are saying.

Valerie

I did a wash and go, but it didn't really work for me. I have very kinky hair, however what I have done is rinse my hair if it is styled in flat twists or braided making sure. I have applied a silk scarf to reduce any fuzziness and it has not made my hair dry at all and I have found that is one of my main ways for retaining length. I feel that many stylists, I don't particularly trust. People with kinky hair have done wash and go and it has worked out for them. Everyone is different and maybe the stylists should take that on board.

Crystalicequeen123

these stylists are so mad and hating on the natural hair movement because the DIYers are cutting into their profits.

BINGO!!!!! :yep:

That's basically it in a nutshell. :ohwell:

Oh well, they better get used to it, because we as black women are learning more and more about our own hair, and so pretty soon a lot of us won't have to be relying on hair stylists 24/7 for an everyday "hair style" :look:

Now that I'm natural...I'm a complete DIY'er. :yep: In fact, now days I'm more like a "white chick" who only goes to the salon when I want something SPECIFIC done to my hair....(ie. a trim, hair color, an elaborate natural hair style, etc.) :giggle:

Those comments though: "WNG is a no." "Stop living a lie."
Really?:lol:

Pssshhhhhh, I'm gonna keep WNGing my hair right on to waist length. :yep:
I do what works for me.

Plus, I can't remember the last time I took hair growth and retention advice from a stylist with a bald fade, but that's just me :look:

@Trini_Chutney

:lachen: :lachen: Hahaha!

Keeping doing you girl...:yep: :up:

I WILL say this however..... Wash n' Go's don't always work for EVERYONE. :perplexed I like wash n' go's to an extent in the fact it's easy and I don't have to worry about drying or "setting" my hair afterwards or anything.

HOWEVER....I've actually tried to cut down on the wash n' go's a little bit simply because I personally tend to experience more tangles (and therefore more breakage) when I wash n' go. My hair shrinks like nobody's business, so I've realized that if I want to retain length, it's better for me to keep my hair stretched, and in stretched styles. It cuts down on the shrinkage, the tangles and the breakage. :yep:

But if you can grow your hair to waist length with wash n' go's then by all means.....more POWER to you! :grin: I just know that I can't, and most people with kinkier hair textures don't find this method to be as helpful in retaining length either. :nono:

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing a wash and go as she described...shampoo (no mention of conditioner or detangling) followed by a styling product.

Also, it seems that their idea of what a wash & go is "suppose" to look like is limited. They act like kinkier hair types shouldn't do wash & go's because it won't result in curls as if that was the purpose to start with.
@Philippians413

Yea, I think a lot of people have a really warped view of what wash & go's or even what "natural" hair is supposed to look like. I know some people who feel like if you're even "defining your curls" or doing a "twist out" that this is somehow not really showcasing your TRUE "natural" beauty. They feel like you're somehow "manipulating" your hair in some way if you add any type of product to your hair after washing it. :rolleyes:

I never take advice from people who I do not want to be like.
Compared to women on this board, those women are bald. Granted, it may be by choice but I doubt it.

Also, I never take advice from fat people unless they are giving me good cooking lessons. A quick glance of these three women would cause me to tune out whatever they are saying.

@dyh080

^^:ohsnap:

:lachen: :lachen:

WOW! Well.....tell us how you REALLY feel! :lol:

To me, the problem is not so much that they're fat, but more so the fact that they're giving bad advice PERIOD. :look: They could be as skinny as a rail and giving the same bad advice lol. :lol:

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
SelahOco I get what you mean. I don't do wash and go styling but they claim they are trying to help but their tone is mocking and condescending. Not to mention, some of their comments about which hair texture can do a wash and go perpetuate the notions of "bad hair" and "good hair". With that tone, the ladies they are trying to "convert" will continue doing what they've always done.

But then again, if I wanted a full head of healthy, lush, natural hair, who do you think I'm going to listen to for advice on what I should do to get there? Someone with a full head of thick, healthy, natural hair who, incidentally, does wash and gos or stylists with less than an inch of hair? You don't think a wash and go is a good style? That's fine but instead of mocking naturals who do this style, give an alternative hair style or make a tutorial with products that can be used instead of "brown gel". Though a tutorial on your own full head of natural hair would be perfect, show me what you can do on one of your clients if your hair isn't natural or not long enough.

ETA: oh, I just realised they have a natural hair salon? Well, then all the more reason for them to lose the mocking tone. They have loads of experience. So... just state the facts, why you think wash and gos are not good for the hair or give an example of a particular client whose hair you turned around without the wash and go. All the extra is uncalled for...

Last edited:

SelahOco

In the second video they seem to be irritated by hair typing, people wanting to bring in their own products. One of them said you think you know what's best, but we will use what we think is best.

I get it that they don't want to use products the are not familiar with, but they just seem to be peeved that people have their own ideas at all.

I don't like it. And I think you guys get how I'm feeling.

LivingInPeace

So a wash and go is trying to be something that you're not. What is a flat iron and curl? What's a roller set? What's a relaxer? Twists don't grow out of your head naturally. Stop it.

mscocoface

For years stylist have been use to people not being educated about their hair and no one would ever question them about what they would do to our hair. If you did you felt like you were being scolded as if you were in the doctor's or principal's office.

WELL!! Times they have changed! Natural hair movement has now turned into a lifestyle for many and woman are speaking up and have become much more knowledgeable about their hair.

Now I imagine there may be some who could be still uneducated about their natural hair but just like we can't say ALL stylist are the same and act the same way they cannot say all customers are the same.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I was about to say I didn't know wash and go involves no combing. I thought it was just no styling or drying?

I think people do wash and gos differently. I remember watching a few YT videos and some ladies don't comb, some go under the dryer, etc. and they all use different techniques and products.

LivingInPeace another point I was going to make. It's almost illogical.

*Frisky*

They don't know what they heck they are talking about. Everyone does not do a wash and go like this. Were these videos suppose to promote their salon cause I would never go to them after seeing this. They make it seem like their customers are dumb and don't have a brain to work with.

veesweets

What might be happening is that the people who are coming to their salon really don't know what they are doing. There is a ton of info out there but not all women take advantage of it and truly do their research. They throw together random bits of info and think that's how it works. So maybe these stylists are only working with uneducated naturals who are doing things wrong so they assume that's the norm? I'm really hoping that's what's going on here otherwise I need them to have a seat.

naturalmanenyc

I didn't watch the videos yet but my Wash & Go last week was FAB-U-LOUS!

I got tons of compliments from naturals, relaxed, Black women, White women and 1 Hispanic woman. I raked the product through using my fingers like a comb, although I did not comb through my hair. A natural hair stylist demonstrated the technique at a hair expo last month in Brooklyn.

Given the comment in this thread, I don't see their natural hair salon doing well with their attitude.

ETA: Okay, WTH? Wash & Go's do not take a ton of product and a Wash & Go style in and of itself does not cause dryness. What in the heck are they even talking about?

Okay, I can't even take them seriously. They are acting like relaxed hair doesn't tangle? Honestly, there is no way I'd take hair advice from a woman with a bald fade.

And what is with the consultation video. Was it suppose to be funny? I didn't find it funny at all with the barbecue sauce and paprika references.

Last edited:

VivaMac

I didn't watch the videos yet but my Wash & Go last week was FAB-U-LOUS!

I got tons of compliments from naturals, relaxed, Black women, White women and 1 Hispanic woman. I raked the product through using my fingers like a comb, although I did not comb through my hair. A natural hair stylist demonstrated the technique at a hair expo last month in Brooklyn.

Given the comment in this thread, I don't see their natural hair salon doing well with their attitude.

ETA: Okay, WTH? Wash & Go's do not take a ton of product and a Wash & Go style in and of itself does not cause dryness. What in the heck are they even talking about?

Okay, I can't even take them seriously. They are acting like relaxed hair doesn't tangle? Honestly, there is no way I'd take hair advice from a woman with a bald fade.

Nevermind them,:nono: when are you going to do a tutorial on your FAB-U-LOUS wash n go. :yep: Patiently waiting!:lol:

naturalmanenyc

I'm not at all shocked at the yelp reviews. http://www.yelp.com/biz/revolution-ego-charlotte

Revolution Ego
3 reviews
Category: Hair Salons [Edit]
2000 S Blvd
Ste 120
Charlotte, NC 28203
Neighborhoods: South End, Dilworth

3 reviews in English
Review from Teresa J.
Greer, SC
7/15/2012 First to Review
This is the very best salon I have ever used. Love, love, love the vibe. These three beautiful professional stylists really know their stuff! I drive 160 miles round trip just to go here. There is none of craziness of other salons (ie: appointment at one time and having to wait an hour or two before the stylist actually starts). Oh no, when they give you an appointment, that is your appointment time. I have actually shown up 10 minutes earlier and was told to proceed to the chair. Love the Internet access and the use of iPads while under the dryer. I also like being able to book appointments online.

Jessica is my stylist. She is a colorist extraordinaire! Everywhere I go, people want to know where did I get my color. No matter if I can't exactly communicate effectively what I want, Jessica listens and pulls it all together! The best thing about the color Jessica uses is that my hair is never, ever dried out from the color. I have never had color that leaves my hair in better condition than it was when I went into the salon.

If you are a curly(actually more kinky than curly) girl like me, or if you want locks started or maintained, then I suggest you call the women at Revoluion Ego! They really know natural hair.

Review from Nicole L.
4/25/2013
Waste of money and time. The consultation was useless. She never even touched my hair but instead just asked "what do you want to do'. Consultation lasted about 3 minutes. Not acceptable when I took my time out to be there. Went for my appointment after being told my style would last at least 2 weeks. The stylist didn't wash my hair good enough, then acted like she didn't want to use any product. I realize natural products are expensive but I am paying top dollar. My style lasted 2 days, and no I didn't sweat it out. In fact I was sick so didn't even leave the house. Also, it wouldn't hurt for these ladies to smile at some point.

Review from L J.
Charlotte, NC
9/11/2012
I had initially booked an appointment online for color. The stylist notified me that this service did not include a style and asked if I wanted one. I said yes.

Days later, I needed to reschedule my appointment. Unable to find one time slot to accommodate both color and style, I book the color online and then email the stylist requesting that I get both services.

The day of, as she finishes rinsing me and I go back to the chair, I specify what type of style I want, to which she responds, "Well you're not getting any style because you didn't request it and my next client will be here shortly."

I mention the email and she said that she responded that I needed to continue looking until I find a time slot. We debate for a few, but I eventually give up and leave with wet hair.

I sent a follow up email, explaining that there was obviously a mix up, but right or wrong, she should have tried to accommodate me. Perhaps I could have waited while she prepped her other client? Or one of the other stylists could have taken care of me? I told her that I would not be returning.

She responds that "I'm very direct and jovial; saying 'you're not getting any style' was intended as a joke so I'm very sorry it didn't come across that way and that you felt rushed out of the salon." But I don't get how it's a joke if you still made me leave. And what bothered me most is that she made no attempts to win me back as a client.

In all, she just handled the situation poorly. It's a shame because she's a pretty good stylist.

Last edited:

Amarilles

That WnG video was redundant as hayle, they could've made a 50 second video with the exact same message. The mocking and laughing is so uncalled for... these hairdressers need to get with it and adapt. They need to speak OUR language. If we talking about texture, porosity, density, yes and hair type 3W and all...well guess what? They need to be talking that language too. We pay them, it's their job to understand us. Them ladies have it all twisted...wouldn't set a big toe in there if it was free.

Embyra

Smh I joined this forum after my "stylist" kept cutting my hair back to much and messed up my relaxer one to many times

I don't care about what stylist think about my hair because my hair speaks for itself

When you are growing and retaining inches

Hair is longer than it ever has been by DIY'ing

Strangers complimenting you

Nope no1curr

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:

Mitre

What is so funny that the middle stylist has to be heheing about. Jeez that is unprofessional. Damn it is my hair I will do what the Fcuk I want to do.