Calling out Stylists & Friends of Stylists

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
To stylists & people who have friends that are stylists: Have you ever shared LHCF type info.? Were you met with close-minded resistance or open-minded interest?

I have a few friends who are licensed stylists. I've never mentioned this forum by name, but I have thrown a few LHCF ideas out there just to gage the reactions.

I've only been met with negativity, perhaps because I'm not a stylist. For ex., I may say something like, "I know someone with type 4 hair who really loves Suave and Pantene, and their hair is beautiful" The reaction is always: People like that can't use stuff like that. It's only for Caucasian hair (this alone bugs me since Caucasian aren't the only ones with straight hair). People like that have to use black products only."

What kinds of experiences have you had? I guess I am wondering because I want to know how hard it would be to make changes in the beauty salons. From their point of view, they need to make money, but the ones I know seem to not want their clients to be able to care properly for their own hair, so that they can supposedly make the most money. I think there has to be a way that both the client and the stylist go home happy.

Incredible1ne

My best friend is a stylist. I showed her this site and she swore everybody either had a weave or mixed with a race other than black :ohwell: When I told her about cowashing she said my hair was going to fall out. :rolleyes: Now I don't tell anybody about this board.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I am a stylists and I think that it is a shame that stylists act that way. I think people appreciate being educated about hair care and they need to be educated about proper hair care in between salon visits. I educate all of my clients and I even show them how they may be able to recreate the hairstyle at home. I show them the products I use on their hair and I tell them what the products do. If someone wants to stretch relaxers, I have no problem with that. That's just me.

Being a hairstylist is about more than money. It's about pure passion and wanting to help people achieve that certain look or that goal. If a stylist is genuine the money will come regardless of whether or not a client knows how to do their own hair!

....then too, I was a member here before I became a stylist!!

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
My best friend is a stylist. I showed her this site and she swore everybody either had a weave or mixed with a race other than black :ohwell: When I told her about cowashing she said my hair was going to fall out. :rolleyes: Now I don't tell anybody about this board.

That's so sad:crying3:. Really. And frustrating :wallbash:. That's exactly why I didn't mention this forum by name.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I am a stylists and I think that it is a shame that stylists act that way. I think people appreciate being educated about hair care and they need to be educated about proper hair care in between salon visits. I educate all of my clients and I even show them how they may be able to recreate the hairstyle at home. I show them the products I use on their hair and I tell them what the products do. If someone wants to stretch relaxers, I have no problem with that. That's just me.

Being a hairstylist is about more than money. It's about pure passion and wanting to help people achieve that certain look or that goal. If a stylist is genuine the money will come regardless of whether or not a client knows how to do their own hair!

....then too, I was a member here before I became a stylist!!

Very true! I wish there were more like you :yep:, so many in fact, that stylists like you would be the norm. :grin: If I still taught highschool, I would have started a club/experiment. Now I teach elementary so I have to suffer in silence when I see beautiful faces ruined by hair disasters.

Eisani

One of my BFFs is a stylist and whenever I mention something, she's all ears. She gives her input on what she's found t/b effective and not and we bunce things off of each other. After talking to her I was convinced that Pantene Relaxed & Natural products were not for me (just as an example). Before meeting her, I did my own hair forever which she knew and said I had a good working knowledge of what works. Even when she did/does do it, she still listens to what I like/don't like etc and has even incorporated some of the techinques from here and other places, like the Dominican salons. When I first told her about visiting a Dominican salon she went with me the next time to see if there was any difference in technique, products etc. She's always been open to learning new things and total hair health which is why I love her and hate to see her move away. She's caucasian :yep: and her clientele is 99% black/hispanic/other.

I strongly believe the most intelligent people are willing and open to learning new things regardless of the other persons credentials, or lack thereof.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I strongly believe the most intelligent people are willing and open to learning new things regardless of the other persons credentials, or lack thereof.

:amen:

It's just so mind -blowing to me that the ones I know can see the results and still insist that what that person is doing is wrong because it doesn't conform to their views. :ohwell: What is going on?!!

BeautifulFlower

I agree.

My cousin is a stylist and almost all of her clients have long hair. She cares about their hair. She has long hair and so does her sisters. She cuts her hair off with no worries because she knows she can grow it back just that fast.

Arlene's Creations - Philadelphia, PA
I would have her take care of my hair but we live 2 hours apart.
http://arlenescreationshs.com/

She'll be moving to North Carolina within the next 6mths to a year however.

I throw out to her to write a book about growing long hair. I hope she bites soon.

PinkSkates

I have a personal friend who is a pro stylist in the entertainment biz; and I told him about this site. And his reaction after lurking was 50-50. He said some of the hair advice is excellent..."And SOME is just plain insanity and stupidity as to what some of the women will put on their precious scalps in the name of hair growth and maintenance."
Those are his words not mine.

ChocalateDiva

One of my BFFs is a stylist and whenever I mention something, she's all ears. She gives her input on what she's found t/b effective and not and we bunce things off of each other. After talking to her I was convinced that Pantene Relaxed & Natural products were not for me (just as an example). Before meeting her, I did my own hair forever which she knew and said I had a good working knowledge of what works. Even when she did/does do it, she still listens to what I like/don't like etc and has even incorporated some of the techinques from here and other places, like the Dominican salons. When I first told her about visiting a Dominican salon she went with me the next time to see if there was any difference in technique, products etc. She's always been open to learning new things and total hair health which is why I love her and hate to see her move away. She's caucasian :yep: and her clientele is 99% black/hispanic/other.

ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!