Salt Water Pool as bad as Chlorine??

ASJ227

Ok Ladies.. I'm usually able to find the answers to all my hair questions, but have been inluck with this one. PLEASE HELP!

I am currently transitioning to natural, about 4 months post relaxer. I recently started swimming for excercise and am unsure on how to care for my hair. The pool at my gym is NOT chlorine, it is a salt water pool. I know salt water pools are better for our hair, so I'm wondering if I need to do the same regimen as I would with chlorine. Salt water pools do produce their own chlorine naturally; without the harsh chemicals. I plan on swimming about 3 times a week.. should I be shampooing every time? Salt water is natural, so maybe it isn't harmful???

Currently using ABBA's detox shampoo and conditioner after swimming. I'm afraid I might be drying my hair out with the excessive shampooing. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks! :yawn:

Nonie

My guess is chlorine is chlorine, regardless of what method is used to make it. So you should take the same precautions and follow the same regimen you would when swimming in any other pool that has chlorine in it.

ETA:
When any type of chlorine is added to water it ALL makes the SAME thing: Hypochlorous acid. It does not matter if it is Sodium Hypochlorite (liquid chlorine), Tri-chlor and Di-chlor or Lithium based, Cal-hypo or even gas chlorine--it all makes Hypochlorous acid. Hypochlorous acid is the active sanitizer; this is what kills algae and other harmful stuff in the water.
http://phoenix.about.com/cs/wet/a/saltpool01.htm

Last edited:

NikStarrr

No, chlorine pools are harder on your hair. Salt water pools' water is considered "soft water"...so if you had to choose the lesser of two evils, go for the salt water pool!