Will ocean/sea/salt water harm my hair?

FrazzledFraggle

Does salt water have any long lasting negative affect on hair? I am going to Cozumel this fall and will be swimming with the dolphins in their "natural environment". I also understand that the pool water on the cruise ships is ocean water.

Any special care I need to take? Is it as bad as chlorine? :look:

I'm from Cali and I have no idea why I never thought about this before. I never used to care but since joining this forum I'm more "careful" about what I do to my hair.

leiah

It will dry out your hair, but nothing that conditioner can't fix. I put on a lot of coconut oil before and DC after

I actually love the way salt water makes my hair look and feel and i always get my hair completely wet every time I go to the beach.

The pool water will have salt removed and chlorine added

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Whenever I go to the beach, sea or pool I wet my hair and put a cheapie condish on it. I might put it in 2 braids or a bun or leave it out but it is coated with conditioner. You'll be fine. Enjoy the dolphins.

DominicanBrazilian82

leiah said:
It will dry out your hair, but nothing that conditioner can't fix. I put on a lot of coconut oil before and DC after

I actually love the way salt water makes my hair look and feel and i always get my hair completely wet every time I go to the beach.

The pool water will have salt removed and chlorine added

I put coconut oil in my hair earlier this week before the beach :grin:. I also concoct a spray bottle full of goodies to keep my hair moist! I usually put in conditioner, oils, aloe juice, apple cider vinegar (very little) and a little honey :). I keep it in the sun to keep it warm, it's like a deep condish poolside/beachside.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CocoBunny

I have heard that the key is to wet your hair prior with non chlorinated/sea water. BTW sea water seems to bring out the best in my hair. I am not sure why or how but it does.