Scriptures

blazingthru

I learned how to memorize scripture by consistently reading it both day and night. Meditate on his word is what he says to us from the scriptures.
Genesis 24:63
He went out to the field one evening to meditate, and as he looked up, he saw camels approaching.

Joshua 1:8
Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Psalm 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
Psalm 39:3
My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue:
Psalm 39:2-4 (in Context) Psalm 39 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 48:9
Within your temple, O God, we meditate on your unfailing love.
Psalm 48:8-10 (in Context) Psalm 48 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 77:12
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.
Psalm 77:11-13 (in Context) Psalm 77 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 119:15
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
Psalm 119:14-16 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 119:23
Though rulers sit together and slander me, your servant will meditate on your decrees.
Psalm 119:22-24 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 119:27
Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders.
Psalm 119:26-28 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)
Psalm 119:48
I lift up my hands to your commands, which I love, and I meditate on your decrees.
Psalm 119:47-49 (in Context) Psalm 119 (Whole Chapter)

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I used to memorize them as a kid by nightly recitals.. you know, "The Lord is my Shepherd.." :pray: but I had no knowledge of what I was memorizing. I just repeated it. What's good about learning Bible verses as a child is the Word sticks with you anyway, and years later, those very verses you took for granted finally *hit* you like a freight train. So Psalms 23, even though I can say it word for word, has a different meaning to me today than when I was 10.

What works for me is meditating on a verse.. IOW, I read it, then I think on what it means to me and what it is saying to ME, throughout the day. Going over it in my head.

There are people who can quote Scripture at the drop of hat and I think that's good because a Believer should always have Word (God) in them anyway -- whether it's a little, some or a lot. I don't think any living person will ever fathom the entire Bible, cover to cover.

HTH!
Good question, btw...:yep:

Do you memorize them? If so, how??

loolalooh

I cosign with the ladies on meditation. I've only memorized Psalm 23 but what really helped me was visualizing it. I imagine Him actually leading me beside still waters, presenting a table before me in the presence of enemies, etc. I learn best by visualizing or having some picture before me.

loolalooh

I used to memorize them as a kid by nightly recitals.. you know, "The Lord is my Shepherd.." :pray: but I had no knowledge of what I was memorizing. I just repeated it. What's good about learning Bible verses as a child is the Word sticks with you anyway, and years later, those very verses you took for granted finally *hit* you like a freight train. So Psalms 23, even though I can say it word for word, has a different meaning to me today than when I was 10.

What works for me is meditating on a verse.. IOW, I read it, then I think on what it means to me and what it is saying to ME, throughout the day. Going over it in my head.

There are people who can quote Scripture at the drop of hat and I think that's good because a Believer should always have Word (God) in them anyway -- whether it's a little, some or a lot. I don't think any living person will ever fathom the entire Bible, cover to cover.

HTH!
Good question, btw...:yep:

Agree. This reminds me of the Book of Eli.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Amen..and it is through Solomon God instructs us to keep His Words before our eyes.
Prov 4
20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
listen closely to my words.

21 Do not let them out of your sight,
keep them within your heart;

22 for they are life to those who find them
and health to a man's whole body.

23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for it is the wellspring of life.

I cosign with the ladies on meditation. I've only memorized Psalm 23 but what really helped me was visualizing it. I imagine Him actually leading me beside still waters, presenting a table before me in the presence of enemies, etc. I learn best by visualizing or having some picture before me.