Sea kelp Challenge Anyone?

jade998

Hi Ladies,

Just thought I would bump this up.

Anyone seeing any differences. I am taking the Kelp + greens:

Vega Kelp + Greens Formula - an effective detoxifying and blood cleansing agent.
Kelp + Greens Formula contains a superb combination of a variety of Sea Algae and Green Tea Extract, providing a natural rich source of minerals, vitamins, amino acids, essential fatty acids (EFA's) and antioxidants.

Kelp is a seaweed. It provides a rich natural source of iodine, which is required by the thyroid gland to regulate the body's metabolism. It may be used by those wishing to maintain a stable weight, and for those on unbalanced diets deficient in iodine. It also helps to maintain healthy hair and skin.

Spirulina is one of nature's original wholefoods. It grows as a plankton in the oceans of the world and serves as a basic link in the food chain. It is one of the richest sources of highly digestible proteins. This algae also contains vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other nutrients.

Chlorella is a green micro-algae, rich in chlorophyll. It is said to detoxify the liver, blood and bowel from chemicals and heavy metals.

Green Tea contains polyphenols, which are a class of plant compounds that have powerful antioxidant and mild stimulant properties.

This product is an effective detoxifying and blood cleansing agent.

And I am hoping, it will be beneficial in the long run. We should have put a before pic to really track.

Lioness

Summa Bliss, I guess 150ug isnt so bad if you are taking a multi vitamin. The multi-V I am taking also has another 150ug in there. I am taking the sea kelp, a Multi, Silica, and B-Complex. I have since a lot of difference in my hair. I am taking out my braids in two weeks, cant wait to see what its done for my lenght!

Thanks Growth2come, I do tke amulti vit which has Kelp.

when you take your braids out let us know your progress results using Sea Kelp!

hothair

I'm in, started taking this a week ago after reading something online... I take the Holland & Barrett one 150mcg I'm taking 2 a day although it says to take up to 3... hopefully we'll see by December

AwesomelyNappy

ok, i finally got some today... (from gnc, thanks MsKipani) and i have a question.

how much should I take?

on my bottle, it says that it has 150mcg of iodine, (which i guess is the same as 150ug or milligrams) and it says that its 100% of the daily value for iodine.

while i do not want to take unsafe amounts and od on any vitamin or supplement... i do want to take how ever much is needed for faster hair growth.

my initial thought is that one tablet at 150mcg's should be enough... but is it really enough to see any difference in my growth rate (which is my motivation for taking it)? for growth, should i up it to 2 a day? 3 maybe?

sikora

^^^ Did you buy kelp specifically or iodine? My multivitamin contains 225 ug of iodine. It says IODINE (as potassium iodide).

I don't plan to buy an additional kelp supplement, but I think I will try to buy the actual kelp and use it in cooking to see how that turns out.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Vitaminshoppe has some kelp...I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I do have more than a few pounds I can stand to lose. :look: Another thing, maybe iodine is something that will get my thyriod in check...my doctor's have been "keeping a eye on" my thyroid for over 20 years :rolleyes: something is making them take 2nd and 3rd looks but they are not coming up with anything either thru ultrasound nor blood tests. :ohwell:

AwesomelyNappy

sikora, the bottle says "Kelp", and its the GNC brand. under supplement facts, it says "Iodine (as Kelp) 150mcg 100%."

I think i'll just go ahead and take 2 a day for now (300mcg)... and see how that goes...:ohwell:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Ok, I picked up the Vitamin Shoppe brand of Kelp. It's 125mg with 225mcg (150% daily value) in Iodine. My bottle has 300 tablets and it says take one per day.

The warning on the bottle says: Do not use if you are pregnant, nursing or being treated for hyperthyroidism.

Well, I'm not pregnant, not nursing and altho' I believe there is something wrong with my thyroid I am not being treated for it. :perplexed

I'm going to take the tablets and see what happens. I'll be checking in on this thread once a month.

My starting point will be the pics in my siggy since I just took those pics.

HHG ladies!

sikora

sikora, the bottle says "Kelp", and its the GNC brand. under supplement facts, it says "Iodine (as Kelp) 150mcg 100%."

I think i'll just go ahead and take 2 a day for now (300mcg)... and see how that goes...:ohwell:

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the potassium iodide and it turns out that it's a form of iodine that helps with exposure to radiation. So I guess I can't expect to get kelp-like results. I did however pick up a pack of kelp today so I will use that when I make lentils this week and monitor my progress. It might actually be kinda cool to compare the results I get from the food form vs. the rest of you who are using the pill form. :drunk:

AwesomelyNappy

bumping to see how everyone else is doing

i'm still using it, and so far so good. the vits are so small, that if i forget everything else, I always make sure I take them.

I relaxed September 1st, and i seem to have a lot of newgrowth (but all of September, and most of October, i've been using MTG. as of last week, i've stopped with the MTG so that i can better evaluate if the kelp is working. i think i'll start back with the MTG in November, but for now, i need to evaluate the kelp by itself (along with other vits- such as biotin, flaxseed oil, silica and msm)).

PanamasOwn

I just started mine. I went and bought the Miso soup. But didnt know there was so many, so I got the one with sea weed in it. AND BOY...does it have seaweed in it. It has an "acquired":ghost: taste. But I pumped myself up and took it like champ. I figure if it'll make my hair grow and help shed a few pounds, me and Miso and Best Freinds.:hottub: Ill give an update in a few weeks.

?? Which one is more efficient, Eating sea weed in an edible form, or taking it in supplements??

sikora

I just started mine. I went and bought the Miso soup. But didnt know there was so many, so I got the one with sea weed in it. AND BOY...does it have seaweed in it. It has an "acquired":ghost: taste. But I pumped myself up and took it like champ. I figure if it'll make my hair grow and help shed a few pounds, me and Miso and Best Freinds.:hottub: Ill give an update in a few weeks.

?? Which one is more efficient, Eating sea weed in an edible form, or taking it in supplements??

I guess we can both be part of that experiment. I bought Kelp (food form) and I am using it in my beans, which I eat 4 - 5 days a week. At the end we can compare our progress with those who were taking it in pill form.

Did you find Miso soup in a store?

Last edited:

PanamasOwn

yea.. I found it in an Asian food market. I assume that since you are taking it in a food form, you will reap more of the benefits from it all around, but I could be wrong.

devin

i definitely would like to join this challenge. i need something to help grow my hair after all the damage that has been done. what brand are you all using? i found sea kelp at the vitamin shoppe and it is the one that says take three times a day.

devin

i just bought my vitamins today at the vitamin shoppe and started today. i will let you all know how it goes. i already have a ton of newgrowth and won't know until i get my relaxer next tuesday. then i will be able to see how well they work.

MrsHouston

I'm in this challenge too. My new liquid vitamin blend has kelp (not sure of the exact amount since it's part of sea vegetable blend 1,000 mg total. I started on October 22 and will post results 2 or 3 months later.

Candy_C

Hey i was looking for this thread! thanks for bumping

I'm looking to start my kelp on Monday, I should say 3months is a good enough time scale to start noticing and reaping benefits

So around the end of JANUARY, i'll be expecting some reviews, good and bad.

Thanks and good luck

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Hey i was looking for this thread! thanks for bumping

I'm looking to start my kelp on Monday, I should say 3months is a good enough time scale to start noticing and reaping benefits

So around the end of JANUARY, i'll be expecting some reviews, good and bad.

Thanks and good luck

What brand did you buy, Candy?