Question Search Doesn't work anymore

virtuenow

Hi, since lhcf changed the website a few months ago, I can no longer do an effective search. It was proably my favorite and most used feature on this site. I could find all the info I need. Now every search I do returns "no results", or results that make no since. I found someone else mentioned doing an "advanced search". This is also no goood, because I tend to get zero reuslts. Any tips? Any possibility of switching back to the old search feature (it actually worked perfect; if its not broke, don't fix philosophy here!)?

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
The advanced search is the best bet. Actually the search we had on the previous version (v3.8) and this one are one and the same. We did also have a google created search which arguably brought in some revenue, but we decided to remove it and give everyone the ability to search (not only subscribers).

I would point you to this topic:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/admin-news/505825-2010-10-21-expected-downtime.html

which is effectively a rollback.

I had a lot of complaints about the search over the years but I never had one complement it - well at least the previous version :) :) :)

Nonie

Nikos, you must've missed my threads about how good the old search was. I never even used Google and if you searched for my posts, I was one of the few people that found old topics that answered the same questions.

After the change, Google Search online was better than the new search. The new search just displayed thousands of irrelevant threads (even with Advanced Search) or told me that the words I had used cannot be found. I would even copy and paste a short title and use advanced search name the author...and again it would not find what I was looking for. Google Search online would find it for me and be even more accurate in zeroing in on topics. So I was fine for a while.

Ever since the forum changed so that titles display instead of URLs, then Search stopped working completely for me, because this feature makes Google's finds inaccurate. The way I'm having to find topics is remember authors and look for their threads or posts and then click on their profiles to find their topics, since Member List isn't working.

I was one of the people who was excited about the changes, but two features I use all the time "Search" and "Member List" have never worked so I'm all set for the old ways.

I will miss "mention" and "tag" but I'm happy to PM people to get their attention if these must go with the return to the old system.

BrooklynSouth

Yes, the SEARCH gives no results. I tried searches using the desired subject+lhcf on other search engines to rectify lack of search ability here, always get the response "PAGE NOT FOUND. SEE ADMINISTRATOR." I miss searches which is so useful.
P.S....look at my 'footer'..it's a mess.

amr6066

I'm So happy someone made a comment about the new search feature. I've had the EXACT same problem. I loved the search feature before the website was updated, and now I everytime I try to search the website it always states "no Results found", even with the advanced search. Please fix this problem, like others on the site, the search feature was my favorite part of the website.

Thanks!

Nonie

amr6066 and BrooklynSouth what is it you're trying to search for? So far it's been working for me. It didn't for a while but as Nikos pointed out, my search criteria didn't show up on the database. I tried other searches and it's been working wonderfully.

If you don't want to post here, maybe PM me and I'll try to help.