How to find ANYTHING on LHCF using Google!! I dare you to try!

ChrissyB

When I found this board a month ago, I wasn't aware of the search feature here so I used my own google trick to look up everything I was interested in on this site. This is what you do, it's SO EASY and great for researching topics on the site.

In the google search bar, type the terms you are searching for and add the following phrase: site:longhaircareforum.com (no space before or after the colon)

This tells google to search only within this website. So, if you are looking for info on which coconut oil has the best smell, you would type:

best coconut oil smell site:longhaircareforum.com
This will result in all posts that contain those 4 terms.

OR

"best coconut oil smell" site:longhaircareforum.com
Adding parentheses will return all posts from this site containing that exact phrase.

If you'd like to omit certain results from popping up, type a minus (like this: -) before the term you don't want to see in the results. For example:

coconut -oil site:longhaircareforum.com
(finds every mention of coconut minus any mention of oil. E.g posts about Suave Smoothers coconut, coconut milk, etc.
puritan pride -biotin site:longhaircareforum.com
(finds every mention of puritan pride but minus any mentions of biotin)

I am not trying to undermine the sites search feature, just offering another method of searching, especially since many of us use google often and are probably quite skilled at performing searches. I use this feature when performing internet searches b/c I sometimes need to find very specific stuff. Let me know if you have questions about it.

I hope that this helps someone! Beware: it's addictive! :grin:

Blkprincess

that's how I've been doing it for the longest, because the search feature has never worked for me on this site....:lachen::lachen:it works great when the PJ in me has purchased a new product and I need to find a thread relating to it.

SimpleKomplexity

Yeah I've tried this too!! The search database NEVER works for me....soooo I just stalk google to find the answers I need...dang I sound like an addict lol...I kinda like it though...:ohwell:

lovelymissyoli

I think this thread should be pinned to the top! There have been many times I've tried to search for something specific to no avail...or I have to search through multiple threads. And then there's the annoying "white page" that happens when the search fails. I like that this search function is specific to my needs. :yep:

Thanks so much for sharing!

Nella

Great feature as I have alot of problems with the search feature here. I'm sure I will be using this google search for any more hair searches.

ChrissyB

I think this thread should be pinned to the top! There have been many times I've tried to search for something specific to no avail...or I have to search through multiple threads. And then there's the annoying "white page" that happens when the search fails. I like that this search function is specific to my needs. :yep:

Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for the tip...ya'll are just too smart!

Yay! I'm glad it was helpful! I figured a few people do it already but it comes in SO handy that I wanted to share with everyone. I'm so addicted to it that I search through the website using google on my blackberry when I'm bored at the airport, in a long line at a store, etc! Happy searching!

IntoMyhair

Thanks! I used this the other day when i could not find a post by a member. So i put in the members name and the rest of the link and found what i needed.

Mimi22

I usually use Google as well. My shortcut is to type in the topic of interest followed by LHCF its quick and saves time!! :grin: