sebastian colorshines(clear)how much to use help!!

bri123

Hi everyone. Does anybody know how much to use when you use the colorshines I am going to be purchasing the clear this week and have never used this stuff before how much do I use.
thanks

Tracy

It depends on the length of your hair - but about a quarter of a bottle should do it on most heads....

Tracy

Yup, and a deep conditioner before the rinse.

So it'd be: relax, neutralize, deep condition, color, style....

A

AmilLion

How do you like Relax; deep condition; neutralize; color; then style?

KitaWita

I agree with Amillion. I would relax, deep condition while the hair cuticles are still open thereby absorbing more conditioner, neutralize, color, then style.

Britt

what is sebastian colorshines "clear"... is this suppose to coat the thair and give it shine or is it a rinse, I am clueless.

Tracy

I feel more comfortable putting the conditioner on directly before the color to make sure it's well conditioned - minus the possible drying effects of the shampooing involved in neutralizing - right before the color is applied. I also don't like the idea of not neutralizing directly after a chemical. I know this is a more recent trend in relaxing, but I don't do it and I'm not comfortable trying it.

But I imagine it could be done in whatever order one wishes beased on ones own preferences and concerns.

EmeraldSky

Re: sebastian colorshines(clear)how much to use he

Does anyone know if this less damaging that the Clairols Colorshines? I have clairol's in clear.

tekmommie

Where can I buy this, please??...I live on the left coast
I have looked at several places including Ulta and other places that sell Sebastian, but to no avail

Thanks in Advance

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Where can I buy this, please??...I live on the left coast
I have looked at several places including Ulta and other places that sell Sebastian, but to no avail

Thanks in Advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a place online where you can purchase it. It's not easily found in local areas. Just 4 Hair

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if this less damaging that the Clairols Colorshines? I have clairol's in clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey EmeraldSky, I've never heard of this one. Where have you found it? I'd like to do an ingredient comparison with my Sebastian's. TIA

EmeraldSky

Heres the official name. Clairol's Professional Radiance Moisture-rich Colorgloss in clear shine, in order to use it you have to use the infuser also, I have a bottle of the colorgloss and infuser.

The infuser has: Water, hydrogen peroxide, acrylates copolymer, acrylates, steareth-20 methacrylate copolymer, etidronic acid, simethicone.

The colorgloss has: Water, ethoxydiglycol, polysorbate 20, oleic acid, aminomethyl propanol, laureth 23, amodimethicone, dihydroxypropyl peg-5 linoleam monium chloride, nonyl nonoxynol 49, disodium wheat germamphodiacetate, hydrolyzed wheat protein pg-propyl silanetriol, panthenol, keratin amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat starch, hydrolyzed wehat protein, behentrimonium chloride, glycerin, sorbitol, fragrance, trideceth 12, cetrimonium chloride, erythorbic acid, edta, sodium sulfite.

tekmommie

Gee, I really appreciate the link...thanks for saving me some more agony...Kudos

I sound like a geek huh...LOL

Tracy

Emerald Sky - Your formula is slightly more "damaging" although even yours is not quite "damaging" in the same sense as coloring the hair normally makes one think.

The difference? And I had to chuckle here because cosmetics companies are so CLEVER....
- that "infuser" you purchased is otherwise known as a developer. It's a peroxide based additive that allows the haircolor you purchased to lighten the hair slightly. It is not likely that the developer is higher than a 10 or 20 percent volume though (they range in increments of 10 from 10 to 40 - with 40 being the highest and most damaging), so it couldn't, for instance, lighten the hair to a blond or even a brightish red. It's just subtly allows a slight lift so that you can just barely brighten your natural color a bit. These colors will also darken the hair if you wish and will last slightly longer possibly than the Sebastian's Colorshines. The color you have is called a DEMI-permanent color.

Sebastian's is a SEMI-permanent, it will not lift the hair. It deposits color onto the cuticle of the strand only and therefore does not require any penetration past the cuticle - which means no need for peroxide. This makes no damaging at all whereas the Clairol product you purchased may be slightly damaging. Honestly though? It's not so much so that you should worry about it. Unless you have some particular sensitivity to peroxide, and all should go well.

It won't necessarily carry the same BENEFITS as the Colorshines tho (the sealed cuticles, the shine) because of that peroxide.

HTH

Tracy

Just a daredevil girl. Just a daredevil....

soslychic

Is there any way to get a slightly darker semi permanent color (dark brown or a very very dark auburn) to show up on off black hair (my hair color) without using bleach? Would it show up at all?

Tracy

It'd be hard SSC....

But you MIGHT be able to make it happen by experimenting a little. Getting an auburn demipermanent and using a 20 vulume developer instead of a 10...but it'd be tricky. If you're feeling daring I could probably talk you thru it.

But you'd have to use a lightener, yes.

You could use a regular semi-permanent color but you'd get more of a tint than a color that :showed up"...would that be ok with you? If so I'd say pick a Colorshine in the red family and see what happens.

This is fun!
I should ditch gradaute school and go to cosmetology school and specialize in color....::Tracy looks off into the distance and daydreams::: I could end up in Allure and Essence as a master colorist...

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
Getting an auburn demipermanent and using a 20 vulume developer instead of a 10...but it'd be tricky. If you're feeling daring I could probably talk you thru it.

[/ QUOTE ]
hehe. I don't even know what a demipermanent color is. Well rather I would try it or not would depend on if I understood a little better exactly what I was trying to do. So if you could explain a little more about the demi permanent, maybe an example of a brand name of one, or link me to someting with more ijnfo, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your response!

Tracy

SSC, there's an explaanation of demi-permanent color above in this very thread...you probably just missed.

soslychic

Ok...so one more question (I know you're getting annoyed with me, but you have to understand my cluelessness in this issue:)

So if I wanted highlites, could I get demi permanent highlites or is do only permanent highlites exist?

Tracy

You're not annoying me ssc - don't be silly...

You could try to do demi highlights, but they wouldn't be very ntoicable. Again, because most demis use a 10 volume developer and the lift with this is only slight. The only way to remedy this - and still it would be a crap shoot - is to try substituting a 20 volume developer.

Most highlights are actually done with bleach. And sometimes they are done with permie color. But rarely with demi-perm and never with semiperms....the latter two formulas just aren't strong enough.

blackberry1913

Since u guys are on the topic of colourshines. Is colourshines like a cellophane. Also is clear better than using a color. I have black hair and I'm thinking about using black cherry. I have hennalucent burgundy in my hair now.